Disinfectant needed

Old November 26th 03, 09:16 PM
KellyH

Default Disinfectant needed

Hi,
The shelter I volunteer for has recently had an outbreak of URI, and since
then has gotten very over-zealous (IMHO) about cleaning and trying to
prevent it.
My issue is that I hate chlorine bleach, and the fumes make me gag. Can't
be too pleasant for the cats, either. We have two cleaning shifts a day,
morning and evening, and the morning people had to clean out every cage with
a bleach/water solution, the evening people used a green disinfectant (not
sure what it is). Finally, I got the bright idea to follow the bleach/water
cleaning with a rinse of plain water, to try to cut down on the awful bleach
smell.
Now that the URI is pretty much over, we've had to bleach out rooms where
the previously sick cats were before new cats moved in. It's also always
been standard routine to bleach out a cat's cage once it leaves the shelter.
Is there a good disinfectant other than bleach that we can use? I would love
to stop using so much bleach!

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old November 26th 03, 09:30 PM
Karen Chuplis

http://www.safetec.com/sanizide.php3

Actually, I bet if you just went to a cleaning store or home depot or
something you could find something less obnoxious. However, there are
products like the above too. They might even sell it in medical supply
stores.

Karen

Old November 26th 03, 10:10 PM
Iso

Kelly,

You may want to consider wearing a disposable dust mask, or something
that will help keep the fumes from being inhaled. You can pick a mask, like
the one I described at your local hardware store, or a Home Depot. Moreover,
if you are looking for another solution to clean your shelter there are a
few on the market that have been specifically designed to do so. They are
KennelSol, BioSentry and ACES Kennel Odor Eliminator. All of these solutions
disinfect the same as bleach. For the most part, they don't have the
deleterious fumes, but do smell. The only disadvantage that these
disinfectants have when compared to bleach is the price; they aren't cheap.

Old November 26th 03, 10:28 PM
Yngver

KellyH" wrote:

[...]

Kelly, a few years ago our basement flooded and I went to Home Depot to buy a
disinfectant for the purpose of scrubbing out our basement. What they sold me
was a hospital grade disinfectant that also specifically kills FIV, FeLV, and a
host of bacteria. It doesn't have a strong odor when diluted to the right
strength. I also used it to disinfect myself when coming home from the cat
shelter. I don't remember the name of it, but it was pink.

Old November 26th 03, 10:57 PM
Cheryl

In news:IK8xb.236431$ao4.844279@attbi_s51,
KellyH composed with style:

Is there a good disinfectant other than
bleach that we can use? I would love to stop using so much bleach!

Kelly, I know the feeling about being paranoid about the virii and
all. I don't do any hands on volunteering for our SPCA group for now
after this past summer and a severe epidemic of distemper, and having
a FeLV+ cat of my own and afraid of bringing him home something he
can't fight off. I was in Petsmart the other day and while a friend
and I were looking for something in the dog section, there was a
disinfectant made for Parvo elimination. I haven't had the
opportunity to see if it wipes out more than just Parvo but it might
be worth looking in to. Sorry, I can't remember the name of it but it
had "Parvo" in the product name and it was in Petsmart.

Cheryl

Old November 28th 03, 04:52 AM
Mary

"KellyH" wrote in message
Hi,
The shelter I volunteer for has recently had an outbreak of URI, and

since
then has gotten very over-zealous (IMHO) about cleaning and trying

prevent it.
My issue is that I hate chlorine bleach, and the fumes make me gag.

Be very careful about any product that releases a fine spray of
bleach. It can cause permanent lung damage. You want big fat drops if
you use it at all.