Letting Eli Win

Old May 18th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Letting Eli Win

Tommy and Eli were play-fighting for a close to half an hour this evening.
Tommy laid on his back 90% of the time with Eli holding onto his head from
behind, making moves like he was trying to bite Tommy's ears.

Every few minutes Tommy would let out a little squeal which had a tone that
seemed to be saying "I'm afraid of you, please take it easy on me, boss!"

A few times they both sat up facing one another and did some fancy boxing,
and Tommy would always try to walk away from it after a bit, but Eli
wouldn't let him go, he would follow and keep whapping at Tommy's tail until
Tommy consented to resume the wrestling match.

Tommy finally escaped and now Billy has taken his place as the whapp-ee. Eli
isn't giving him as much of a test because it has already been established
that Eli's stature is higher than Billy's.

Tommy is a very wise cat. He seems fully committed to defusing Eli's
aggressive urges. This morning I found the two of them snuggled together on
my bed. They looked up at me and their eyes had an expression that's very
hard to describe - so many emotions.

Old May 18th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:

Tommy and Eli were play-fighting for a close to half an hour this evening.
Tommy laid on his back 90% of the time with Eli holding onto his head from
behind, making moves like he was trying to bite Tommy's ears.

Every few minutes Tommy would let out a little squeal which had a tone that
seemed to be saying "I'm afraid of you, please take it easy on me, boss!"

That's really cute. Is Tommy a much older cat than Eli?

I was just reading in Temple Grandin's book "Animal Translations" about
how animals play like this all the time. When an older animal plays with
a young one it will let the younger one win part of the time (sounds like
Tommy does it a lot more than that). This teaches the youngster how
to lose *and* how to win, as well as honing their various attack and
hunting (if relevant) skills.

Joyce
Old May 18th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I got a big kick out of our one-year-old cat Cherry teaching a kitten
(Jona, abandoned when she was three days old and raised by me with a
bottle, so no experience watching cats except Cherry) how to use the
litter box! Cherry would climb in, eyes on Jona all the time, and Jona
would sit down next to the litter box and watch carefully. Then they'd
switch places. It was really cute, especially considering that Cherry
was not at all happy with this little interloper on her territory.

Now Jona and Cherry are the same size and best of friends. They are
the only two of mine that will actually sleep on the same surface at
the same time.

Cantate

Old May 18th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tommy and Eli were play-fighting for a close to half an hour this
evening.
Tommy laid on his back 90% of the time with Eli holding onto his head
from
behind, making moves like he was trying to bite Tommy's ears.

Every few minutes Tommy would let out a little squeal which had a tone
that
seemed to be saying "I'm afraid of you, please take it easy on me,
boss!"

That's really cute. Is Tommy a much older cat than Eli?

He's only a couple of months older but he joined the house first so he has
seniority that way.

I was just reading in Temple Grandin's book "Animal Translations" about
how animals play like this all the time. When an older animal plays with
a young one it will let the younger one win part of the time (sounds like
Tommy does it a lot more than that). This teaches the youngster how
to lose *and* how to win, as well as honing their various attack and
hunting (if relevant) skills.

Tommy didn't teach Eli to hunt but I think he's the one who taught Eli to
occasionally hunt for the younger cats.

Old May 18th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-18, Cantate penned:
I got a big kick out of our one-year-old cat Cherry teaching a
kitten (Jona, abandoned when she was three days old and raised by me
with a bottle, so no experience watching cats except Cherry) how to
use the litter box! Cherry would climb in, eyes on Jona all the
time, and Jona would sit down next to the litter box and watch
carefully. Then they'd switch places. It was really cute,
especially considering that Cherry was not at all happy with this
little interloper on her territory.

Well, it makes sense, right? The only thing worse than a new baby
taking attention away from Meowmie is a new baby who not only takes
attention away from Meowmie, but also craps on the floor!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 18th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
[...]

That's cute. Did you get any video of them playing?
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old May 18th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Did you get any video of them playing?

You can rest assured that I wanted to, and would have, if the light was good
enough in here at night to do it. There might be an adjustment I can make to
the camera settings for low-light situations... I'll check that one of these
days so I can maybe catch the next performance.

Old May 18th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 18 May 2006 02:29:50 GMT, yodeled:

Pat wrote:

Tommy and Eli were play-fighting for a close to half an hour this evening.
Tommy laid on his back 90% of the time with Eli holding onto his head from
behind, making moves like he was trying to bite Tommy's ears.

Every few minutes Tommy would let out a little squeal which had a tone that
seemed to be saying "I'm afraid of you, please take it easy on me, boss!"

That's really cute. Is Tommy a much older cat than Eli?

I was just reading in Temple Grandin's book "Animal Translations" about
how animals play like this all the time. When an older animal plays with
a young one it will let the younger one win part of the time (sounds like
Tommy does it a lot more than that). This teaches the youngster how
to lose *and* how to win, as well as honing their various attack and
hunting (if relevant) skills.

Joyce

Even Stinky takes it easier on Dante than he could, or he really wants
to, I suspect, considering how exuberantly Dante flings himself at
"the Big Dood"-- and how Dante is a lot bigger, faster and more
muscular than he was when I brought him home-- he just seems to have
the same little kitten dingaling brain rattling around inside his
skull. :P

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh