Teeth Problems

Old November 14th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Teeth Problems

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 02:37:38 GMT, Rhonda
wrote:

Hi there, sorry your cat is having problems.

I think diabetes can cause more teeth issues than normal -- our cat had
to have 6 teeth planed or removed about 8 months after his diabetes
diagnosis.

Steroids can trigger diabetes, so who knows what came first for your cat.

I hope the sugar goes back down, how high was it? Our vet goes by a
benchmark of about 200 for kitties stressed by the trip to the vet
(normal is 100.) Bob's was 400 when diagnosed.

I'm glad you're getting those teeth fixed. That will make a huge
difference in how he feels. I hope it goes well for him tomorrow.

Let us know what happens with the sugar levels,

Rhonda

I did a bit more research about steroids and diabetes. There are three
types of steroids, and the ones that we're talking about (prednisone
and such) are all gluco-steroids. Gluco, because their primary action
involves the glucose pathways in the body. So it should hardly be a
surprise that there would be a relationship between the steroids and
diabetes.

Apparently the action that we care about, the anti-inflamatory
response, is a byproduct of their primary activity. It isn't even
understood why there is an anti-inflamatory action, but there is so we
use it. Weird science.
Old November 14th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:37:03 -0500, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote

I adopted an old, sick cat named Jackie. The pet store I got her at
had no idea what was wrong with her but she weighed all of five pounds
and her lips were blue. She had the most miserable look that I have
ever seen on a cat. I figured that I could at least give her a decent
place to die.

I remember Jackie. I saved her picture to my "cats" file. You did a
wonderful thing for her. I am not sure anyone else would have done
what you did.

Thanks. She certainly was a tough old lady.
Old November 15th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jenwrenfer via CatKB.com

Hi all~!

Well, it's going okay so far. Cleo had all of her teeth removed, and we had a
rough night last night. She's in a Elizabethan collar for two weeks, and
since she was disoriented last night from the anesthesa we had to confine her
in the laundry room. She was none too pleased, so my husband and I, needless
to say, didn't get much sleep.

Today is better though. I'm able to let her have the run of the apartment
with my other kitty when one of us is home to supervise. My other kitty is a
little scared of the e-collar, so when we leave they each get two rooms to
themselves. This works out since I can leave out the dry food for the other
cat when we are gone.

Cleo can eat and drink with the e-collar on. They recommended we not take it
off because it will only get harder to put it back on each time. I took it
off while she ate once today to get some of the dried bloody salivia (eww!)
out of it for her, but I can just wipe it down when she finishes eating from
now on.

She is eating like a horse, which I can't believe just a day after surgery
and 60+ stitches. But you really wouldn't even know it. It kills me to leave
the collar on her all the time but I know if she were to get at those
stitches she would really be in trouble.

So needless to say I'm a little tired after my 12 hour day yesterday and
sleepless night, but hopefully we are on the road to recovery. We of course
have non-refundable tickets out of town for 5 days next week but I think what
we'll do is just keep them seperated while we are gone, my mother will be
down to feed them and the like. Although they will miss each other for the
few days I think it will be easier for her to recover without the other one
bugging her all the time.

Thanks for the information and encouragement~!

Old November 15th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Happy Dance

Have good time while you are away

Old November 15th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:10:07 GMT, "jenwrenfer via CatKB.com"
u29044@uwe wrote:

[...]

I'm so relieved to hear that Cleo's surgery went well and she is
recovering. Don't worry too much about the e-collar. She'll get used to
it and then it will be time to take it off!

--
Lynne

"Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our
lives with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb
Old November 16th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley

dgk wrote:

I remember Jackie. I saved her picture to my "cats" file. You did a
wonderful thing for her. I am not sure anyone else would have done
what you did.

I'll always remeber her she crossed the Bridge on the same day as our
Fugazi did some years before for the same reason

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old November 18th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

dgk wrote:

I did a bit more research about steroids and diabetes. There are three
types of steroids, and the ones that we're talking about (prednisone
and such) are all gluco-steroids. Gluco, because their primary action
involves the glucose pathways in the body. So it should hardly be a
surprise that there would be a relationship between the steroids and
diabetes.

That's interesting. I didn't realize there were 3 types of steroids.
It's good to know the relationship with diabetes. Wish I would have
known before Bob got his fateful shot.

Rhonda

Old November 18th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

jenwrenfer via CatKB.com wrote:
So needless to say I'm a little tired after my 12 hour day yesterday and
sleepless night, but hopefully we are on the road to recovery.

Sounds like it's been stressful for you lately, but I'm glad Cleo is
doing well after her surgery. Hopefully, you can relax on vacation!

Rhonda