older cat refuses to use litterbox

Old February 24th 05, 05:34 PM
Jason Travis

Default older cat refuses to use litterbox

We have a total of four cats and three litterboxes. I have read and been
told that you have to have a seperate one for each cat, but I have witnessed
the three younger cats mixing and matching. The oldest one *used* to use
the litterbox.

She is around eighteen years old -- used to be hell on wheels, has softened
in her old age but still has a mean streak. I didn't know cats lived that
long. She's gotten a little weaker, she doesn't bound up onto high surfaces
anymore.

Lately the problem is that she has been finding out of the way places to
soil. I had to muck out behind a giant tv cabinet that is diagonal in a
corner and reposition so she couldn't get back there. Now I'm finding
random puddles of urine in corners and more distressingly behind the couch.
Against the wall, it's an easy cat tunnel. I've considered rearranging the
furniture again to eliminate the hidden areas where she will urinate and it
won't be discovered until there's a smell. We have a natural wood floor
that's starting to discolor in her regular areas. Behaviorally I'm sure
it's possible that the younger cats are now establishing territory and
pushing the older one out.

I've tried the dog trick of showing her the puddle then taking her to the
litterbox. I know this probably will have no effect as cat brains are that
much more complicated and stubborn. Another thing I'm now considering is
fashioning a new litterbox. The current ones are enclosed with high sides
that I'm wondering if she's having problem stepping over the wall. While I
have no desire for a litterbox in the living room, I'm wondering if I made a
shallow one out of a low cardboard box and put it where she goes if she
might take to it again. Then if I gradually shifted it out of the living
room she might take the hint.

Any suggestions from anyone who has had a similar problem or who understands
how to manipulate the stubborn feline psyche are much appreciated.

Old February 24th 05, 06:08 PM
Karen

in article , Jason Travis at
wrote on 2/24/05 10:34AM:

[...]

Have you taken her to teh vet? At her age, I would suspect renal problems.

Old February 24th 05, 06:19 PM
dragon

I'll second this recommendation. 18 years is a senior lady indeed.
Changes in litterbox behavior almost always means a health problem.
Get your baby to a vet pronto!

dragon

Old February 24th 05, 06:22 PM
John Doe

"Jason Travis" wrote:

[...]

I think that is a good lead.

I've tried the dog trick of showing her the puddle then taking her
to the litterbox. I know this probably will have no effect as cat
brains are that much more complicated and stubborn.

Besides, the circumstances are different.

Another thing I'm now considering is
fashioning a new litterbox. The current ones are enclosed with
high sides that I'm wondering if she's having problem stepping over
the wall. While I have no desire for a litterbox in the living
room, I'm wondering if I made a shallow one out of a low cardboard
box and put it where she goes if she might take to it again.

Why not just buy an ordinary litter box like from a grocery store?

Then if I gradually shifted it out of the living
room she might take the hint.

If I were you, I might put her in a room by herself with an ordinary
litter box and of course food/water. Do not let the other cats in
that room. Your room, or the room of whoever likes her the most, if
possible. Then see if she goes in the litter box. Seclusion might
help answer your question about whether the other cats are a factor.

Good luck.

Old February 24th 05, 07:30 PM
Joe Canuck

Jason Travis wrote:

[...]

First, a trip to the vet is required to eliminate the possibility of a
medical issue.
Old February 24th 05, 08:39 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Jason Travis" wrote in message
[...]

First thing is, she needs vet appointment. At 18-ish (yes, cats often live
that long, or even longer) this could very well be a medical thing(s) that
needs to be diagnosed & treatment started, Vs. a behavioral deal.

Almost as quickly as making a vet appt. for her is to - yes, fashion her a
litter box, one with an lower entrance. Or just a regular litter box which
has relatively low sides.

Cathy

Old February 24th 05, 10:43 PM
BarB

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:34:14 -0600, "Jason Travis"
wrote:

She's gotten a little weaker, she doesn't bound up onto high surfaces
anymore.

I think you've answered your own question. Get a lower litter box. At
that age arthritis is not uncommon and even a shallow box may be too
high for her. I got a covered round (Booda brand) box with a built in
ramp for my oldest cat when I noticed her limping, however you could
build a ramp for her yourself so that she only has to step down an
inch or so into the litter.

Have the vet check her out as well. there are drugs to make her more
comfortable but don't give aspirin or any other human drug for pain
except under a vet's supervision. They can build up in the body and
cause death.

BarB