Vaccines--which are necessary?

Old June 30th 05, 10:20 PM
Mary

Default Vaccines--which are necessary?

On advice from KellyH, Lauren, and Phil P. I spoke with my vet about
vaccines for my two indoor-only cats. (All three veterinarians at the place
where I take my cats have been trained a the NC State Vet School--one
graduating about 30 years ago, one 20, and the other less than 10, for what
that is worth.)

He said that he recommends that indoor only cats with no access to the
outside (meaning also no access to strange animals at all--even through a
screen) have nothing but the rabies vaccine. In other words, he does not
think they really need distemper vaccinations, and certainly not FeLK. He
said this is particularly true of immune-system compromised cats like my
Cheeks who has asthma and ECG.

So we are scheduled for a rabies shot later in July, and a Depo shot
tomorrow. (As an aside, he said they have had three cats come in for
treatment of asthma this week--much higher incidence that usual here in
Raleigh, NC. He meant oxygen tent type emergency treatment, not preventive
care like Depo Medrol or oral steroids. So, even though Cheeks has exhibited
no coughing or other symptoms since her March shot, I am bringing her in
just in case.)

Old July 1st 05, 12:05 AM
Gracecat

"Mary" wrote in message
[...]

How communicable and contagious is FIV and FeLK? What if a FIV positive cat
sneezes on your cat in the vet's office by some strange scenario? Or two
post-surgical, one positive cat, side by side (but seperate) in the cages? I
was discussing this with a friend yesterday after the initial post regarding
this subject. And we both agreed that personally, we vaccinate because of
clinic reasons. But we may be miseducated.

I'm truly ignorant on the issue. But those were my fears, now I have no idea
if they're founded or unfounded.

Grace

Old July 1st 05, 12:09 AM
Mary

"Gracecat" wrote :

So we are scheduled for a rabies shot later in July, and a Depo shot
tomorrow. (As an aside, he said they have had three cats come in for
treatment of asthma this week--much higher incidence that usual here in
Raleigh, NC. He meant oxygen tent type emergency treatment, not

preventive
care like Depo Medrol or oral steroids. So, even though Cheeks has
exhibited
no coughing or other symptoms since her March shot, I am bringing her in
just in case.)

How communicable and contagious is FIV and FeLK? What if a FIV positive

cat
sneezes on your cat in the vet's office by some strange scenario?

This is a very good question.

Or two
post-surgical, one positive cat, side by side (but seperate) in the cages?

was discussing this with a friend yesterday after the initial post

regarding
this subject. And we both agreed that personally, we vaccinate because of
clinic reasons.

I am so glad you brought this up. When we go to the vet, with the exception
of when my Buddha had an ultrasound and she had to stay overnight, I carry
them in, stay with them while the vet checks them, and leave with the cats.

So I have never even thought of this.

Thank you, Gracecat. I will discuss this with the vet on Saturday.

But we may be miseducated.

I'm truly ignorant on the issue. But those were my fears, now I have no

idea
if they're founded or unfounded.

I think you have raised very important issues.

Old July 1st 05, 12:17 AM
PawsForThought

Mary wrote:
On advice from KellyH, Lauren, and Phil P. I spoke with my vet about
vaccines for my two indoor-only cats. (All three veterinarians at the place
where I take my cats have been trained a the NC State Vet School--one
graduating about 30 years ago, one 20, and the other less than 10, for what
that is worth.)

He said that he recommends that indoor only cats with no access to the
outside (meaning also no access to strange animals at all--even through a
screen) have nothing but the rabies vaccine. In other words, he does not
think they really need distemper vaccinations, and certainly not FeLK. He
said this is particularly true of immune-system compromised cats like my
Cheeks who has asthma and ECG.\

Excellent, Mary. I'm glad to hear your vet is knowledgeable about
vaccines One thing I did want to mention, if at some time down the
road, you or your vet, or both of you, feel that Cheeks should not be
vaccinated further for rabies, your vet can write an exemption letter.
But you will have to check with your state first, as some states won't
accept it.

So we are scheduled for a rabies shot later in July, and a Depo shot
tomorrow. (As an aside, he said they have had three cats come in for
treatment of asthma this week--much higher incidence that usual here in
Raleigh, NC. He meant oxygen tent type emergency treatment, not preventive
care like Depo Medrol or oral steroids. So, even though Cheeks has exhibited
no coughing or other symptoms since her March shot, I am bringing her in
just in case.)

I wonder why the high incidences of asthma. I had never heard of cats
having asthma until my own Meesha who has it. Anyway, glad to hear
that Cheeks is doing well.

Lauren

Old July 1st 05, 01:02 AM
Cheryl

On Thu 30 Jun 2005 07:05:26p, Gracecat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

How communicable and contagious is FIV and FeLK? What if a FIV
positive cat sneezes on your cat in the vet's office by some
strange scenario? Or two post-surgical, one positive cat, side
by side (but seperate) in the cages? I was discussing this with
a friend yesterday after the initial post regarding this
subject. And we both agreed that personally, we vaccinate
because of clinic reasons. But we may be miseducated.

I'm truly ignorant on the issue. But those were my fears, now I
have no idea if they're founded or unfounded.

Hi Gracecat. FIV is generally only transferred via deep bite
wounds, and not such casual contact. The vaccination is ineffective
at best, and dangerous at worst for a few reasons. I personally
wouldn't give any cat this vaccination.

FeLV (feline leukemia) can be spread by more casual contact such as
sharing litterboxes, food/water dishes, mutual grooming, etc, but
the only reason I'd have this vaccination done is if the cat is
high risk - outdoor cat, around untested cats, and the reason I had
my cats vaccinated with this one before Shadow died - because he
was FeLV+. This one comes with a risk of VAS (vaccine associated
sarcoma, or cancer). There's another thread here right now that
has more info.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old July 1st 05, 01:14 AM
Rhonda

For our kittens, we did get them a rabies shot when they were little.
Rabies vaccinations are required in the county 2 miles from us, but not
in our county. We were not sure where they would be finding homes.
(Turned out mostly with us...)

We chose to get the distemper series. Distemper concerns me because I've
read that 50% of cats who contract it, don't make it. The vet is pretty
sure the kittens' mother had it while pregnant, due to some of their
problems. The distemper shot also comes as a "pack" with vaccines for
URI's, which we really need in a multi-cat household. We are going to
get boosters of distemper/URI for ours soon, then follow-ups every 3
years or so. We will probably not get rabies vaccines for them again,
and definitely not Felv.

Our cats don't have immune system problems though, so I'm glad you're
talking about this with your vet.

Rhonda

Old July 1st 05, 01:21 AM
Mary

"PawsForThought" wrote:

I wonder why the high incidences of asthma. I had never heard of cats
having asthma until my own Meesha who has it. Anyway, glad to hear
that Cheeks is doing well.

I don't know, maybe ozone? I know they tell asthmatic humans to
stay in when ozone is particularly high.

Old July 1st 05, 01:34 AM
Mary

"Rhonda" wrote in message
For our kittens, we did get them a rabies shot when they were little.
Rabies vaccinations are required in the county 2 miles from us, but not
in our county. We were not sure where they would be finding homes.
(Turned out mostly with us...)

We chose to get the distemper series. Distemper concerns me because I've
read that 50% of cats who contract it, don't make it.

Yes, I am torn about the distemper shots because it is such a terrible
disease. I'll talk it over with the vet and do some thinking. She had
the distemper last year.

Old July 1st 05, 01:59 AM

Rhonda wrote:
For our kittens, we did get them a rabies shot when they were little.
Rabies vaccinations are required in the county 2 miles from us, but not
in our county. We were not sure where they would be finding homes.
(Turned out mostly with us...)

We chose to get the distemper series. Distemper concerns me because I've
read that 50% of cats who contract it, don't make it.

Yeah, same here, on both counts. One of my sister's cats (who'd
previously been a stray) had distemper; he made it, but was in the
their vets' ICU for 11 days. He was one sick kitty.

Cathy

Old July 1st 05, 03:11 AM
Rhonda

I'm glad your sister's cat made it. 11 days in ICU, he must have been
extremely sick. I'll bet he's grateful to have a nice, comfy home now.

Our mom-cat had killer diarrhea when we brought her home, but we have
never dealt with distemper and didn't recognize this as a symptom.
Luckily, she got better right before the kittens were born. We lost one
of the kittens at 7 weeks, probably because of defects due to her
illness. Another one is almost blind and has neurological problems (but
is the best cat ever!) Everyone else fared better, but gets shaky after
vaccinations or if not feeling well.

We plan to get them vaccinated for distemper every 3 years.

Rhonda