neutered cat and kneading...have questions..

Old September 19th 04, 08:07 AM

Default neutered cat and kneading...have questions..

I recently adopted a 2 year old tabby mix from the local Animal Rescue
League. He is a great little guy and is fitting in well with my four
year old tabby male.

I noticed the other night as he was getting ready to bed down that he
was kneading an area around my calf, which to me wasn't unusual, but
then the little fella started to strangely move his back legs... It
only took a nano-second to realize what he was doing (humping) and I
gently pushed him away.

He has done this another one or two times and this brings about some
questions:

He's neutered...I have never seen this behavior in a neutered cat in all
my years of owning cats..has anyone here?

How can I modify his behavior so that this stops, without alienating
him? I don't want him to think I don't want him around...

meaningful appropriate suggestions are welcome...

Thanks...

Old September 19th 04, 08:46 AM
O J

On Sun, 19 Sep, J wrote:

I recently adopted a 2 year old tabby mix from the local Animal Rescue
League. He is a great little guy and is fitting in well with my four
year old tabby male.

I noticed the other night as he was getting ready to bed down that he
was kneading an area around my calf, which to me wasn't unusual, but
then the little fella started to strangely move his back legs... It
only took a nano-second to realize what he was doing (humping) and I
gently pushed him away.

He has done this another one or two times and this brings about some
questions:

He's neutered...I have never seen this behavior in a neutered cat in all
my years of owning cats..has anyone here?

How can I modify his behavior so that this stops, without alienating
him? I don't want him to think I don't want him around...

My boy Sumo will do this to two of his step-sisters, but not the other
two. He will grab them by the scruff, hold them down, and fumble
around behind them. One of the two was his cage mate at the shelter
where I adopted them and one came to our home as a kitten and Sumo
'adopted' her as his kitten, would wash her, and came running if she
cried.

He only does this every few days or so, and I suspect it's because
there are feline pheromones in the air from one of the ferals in the
neighborhood.

My suggestion is to pick him up with both arms, just a little tightly.
Then give him head skritches and tell him what a good boy he is. Do
this till a minute or so has passed or he lets you know that he really
wants down.

Regards and Aarrrgggg's,
O J

Old September 19th 04, 02:25 PM
Adrian

J wrote:
[...]

Smokey (RB) used to do this even though he was neutered. I could never
stop him but it nerver hurt anyone.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.