a stray came to my door last night! Help!

Old March 6th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default a stray came to my door last night! Help!

My two cats have two litterboxes so I gave him one. Do you think I need
to change all the litter or will he use it even if it smells like the
others? I always scoop the poop but the pee I stir in sometimes

Depends how fussy he is. It might bother him to smell the other cats' pee or
it might not. If he seems hesitant to use it, it's probably best to toss
out the old litter and throw in some new.

NanCe

Old March 6th 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 07:24:11 -0800, furfin wrote:

A male orange/cream tabby came to my door last night pawing and rubbing
on the door and in general acting friendly and needy. I noticed it
because my two cats were excited and one of them was mumuring at the
visitor through the glass. The cat was urgently begging to come inside
even though I'd never seen him before.
I tried to ignore this but finally I went outside to find a very very
hungry cat with the mark of a missing collar. My bf thinks he was
possibly de-collared and dumped by people who couldn't keep him. He
wolfed down a bowl of food I provided--I couldn't believe how fast and
how much he ate. As I stoked his back and felt his nubby spine and ribs
I decided to bring him inside.

Now he's in my closet with a litterbox and water.

I'm going to take him to the vet to get him tested for contagious
diseases on Monday. What tests does he need and how long should I wait
before allowing him to mix with my precious healthy indoor cats? I can
wash my hands between cats but is it dangerous to have him in the
closet and go in and out? He actually looks healthy and I don't think
he's been lost very long...long enough to get hungry and somewhat
skinny but not totally starved or ratty yet. My vet can check him for a
microchip and I can post a cat found listing on my local craigslist and
possibly make flyers in search of owners, but if owners cannot be found
I am willing to keep him if he's healthy and my cats don't mind.

I'd love some advice or feedback from all you knowledgeable cat people!

My Princess (RB 16) was a stray and I had her for 14 years. My Dog,
Rex, was a stray (RB18) and I also had him for 14 years.

"nuff said?

Old March 6th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"furfin" wrote in message
oups.com...

What tests does he need and how long should I wait
before allowing him to mix with my precious healthy indoor cats?

Since you don't know the cat's history, I think you should get him tested
for FeLV/FIV and a fecal exam for parasites. If the owners don't turn up in
a week or so, I would also have bloodwork (CBC, chemscreen) and a urinalysis
done to assess his overall general health and look for any underlying
diseases. If his owners do turn up, they should reimburse you; if they
don't, at least you'll know you did the right thing.

Phil