feed Nutro?

Old November 14th 03, 06:16 PM
Karen M.

KellyH wrote:
"GAUBSTER2" wrote in message

Kelly, a couple of things....what is the kcal of Nutro "lite"? Does it

say

anywhere on the bag? A true LIGHT cat food should have less than 3,250

kcal

in order to be called a LIGHT food.

3,250kcal per .... ?

3250 kcal per kilo of food fed.

I looked all over the bag and can't find any kcal info. I have to correct
myself. It's not "lite" it's "Weight Management", which claims to be "30%
less fat than our regular formula".
Here's the nutritional info from Nutro's website:
http://www.nutroproducts.com/nccatweight.asp

I was mixing in the Science Diet Oral Care, but then someone told me I was
counter-acting the weight management qualities of the Nutro, although the
ratio of the mix was like 1:4.

Is your kitty not losing weight on it? You may want to try a wet light
food, if you cat will eat wet food, that is. I tried a few different
kinds of light food with my Audrey, nothing worked that well. Her
problem isn't overeating, it's lack of activity.... So if you find
something that works, post it - many of us would love to know!

Old November 14th 03, 08:45 PM
KellyH

"GAUBSTER2" wrote in message

It may very well contain "30% less fat than the regular formula", but that
still doesn't neccessarily make it a "light" food. I would wager that the
Nutro doesn't have much in the way of "weight management qualities". Has

your
cat lost any weight? Foods that don't meet the "light" requirements

usually
call themselves something different that *implies* weight loss. If your

cat
doesn't seem to be achieving any meaningful weight loss, then try Science

Diet
Light or you could always go w/ a Prescription Diet weight loss food.

My 2 overweight cats have certainly NOT lost any weight. It's not for lack
of activity, either. I have 5 cats, and they all keep each other pretty
active. They have lots of toys, and I play laser pointer with them a lot.
They were on Hill's w/d for a while. I wanted to move them to a food I
could buy at a regular store, plus I want to find a good, natural
ingredients pet food. Back to the drawing board! I was just looking at the
nutritional info for Wellness Lite cat food, and it has 3,547 Kcal/kg.
Close!

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old November 14th 03, 11:24 PM
Karen M.

KellyH wrote:

"GAUBSTER2" wrote in message

[...]

Kelly, personally my cats have done great on Wellness and they love to
eat it too! I've never tried the lighter variety, as Audrey was losing
a *teeny* bit of weight on the regular (she also got a little more
active since I moved into my house). Let me know if you try the lighter
variety and how your kitty does. Then I'll have to build my other two a
special area that Audrey can't get into for their regular food!

Old November 15th 03, 01:46 PM
Steve Crane

(Steve Crane) wrote in message . com...
(Tamara) wrote in message . com...
The article printed in JAVMA is old news. Beginning in 2001, and
continuing today, all of Nutro's Natural Choice products have been
enriched with added, extra taurine to provide insurance to even the
very small number of dogs that may be predisposed to DCM (less than
0.5%). As you can see by the enclosed chart, Natural Choice Lamb Meal
& Rice contains more taurine than other competitive brands. In fact,
as much as 180% more.

Perhaps you could let us know when you made the changes to Nutro
Natural Choice Senior and Lite? Product still in the stores does not
yet show the addition of taurine to the ingredient label, yet your web
site shows taurine added. Is this a fairly recent change to these two
products?

As everyone noted we didn't get a response to the NG for the above
question. Tamara was kind enough to respond to a personal email I sent
her. It was interesting to note that in the email Nutro admits that
they only recently bothered to add taurine to 2 of the 3 products that
were named in the article. In other words even though they knew they
had a problem at least as far back as 2000, they didn't do anything
about it until late this summer, just before the publication of the
article hit the press. It would be my opinion that they knew about
this as far back as 1999 and waited two years to add taurine to the
Nutro Natural Choice product and another three years to add taurine to
the other two products. At least they made the changes. The other two
companies Nature's Recipe and Sensible Choice STILL don't show added
taurine today. IAMS, Purina and Hill's all made changes in early 1997,
as soon as the information was known, some 6 years before Nutro
finished changing all the products indicated in the problem.

Thank you for your inquiry. We began adding Taurine to the Natural
Choice Senior and Lite foods this past summer. The bags have been
changed to reflect the new levels (1000 ppm) and you should see them
on the shelf as early as Nov. 15.