"Manna" Recipe Needed - Ping Jill (and all other cooks)

Old September 22nd 10, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_3_]

Default "Ambrosia" was "Manna" Recipe Needed - Ping Jill (and all other cooks)

ROTFLMAO! You're amazing!

I could never do research work - I'm *way* too distractible - I'd find some
interesting tidbit and go off on a tangent and forget what I started out to
research! I have the attention span of a flea!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

"cshenk" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in message

Snicker, I should have waited! Posted before I saw you found it.

If it helps any, you aren't crazy to recall it as called 'manna' as that
was a generic deep south name for just plain great sweet treats. Some
are bread based and some are not. The relation is in the bible, manna
just fell on you when you needed uplifting. A very old southern
relation was to call a sweet just when you needed that uplifting,
'manna'.

'Momma's making manna tonight' would get the kids all excited. It was
also used to keep kids at bay 'hush youngun or Momma won't give you no
manna tonight'. It's very possibly your long ago MIL did indeed call it
'manna'.

But thank you for responding so, um, comprehensively - LOL! I forgot how
thorough you are when you are asked for information, I could take a page
from your book. Thanks, sweetie, I really appreciate it.

Hehe it's just me. No need for you to be the same.

Are you a researcher by occupation/avocation?

Gulp! You fiound me out! EEK!!! Gotta go hide now ;-)

Seriously though, you are close. Data Analyst. Makes me pretty good by
nature with trivia. The description of the recipe you posted was
automatic then trivia reminded me of the name as your MIL was probably
born around 1880-1900. That centered it to likely oval kumquats in her
early days (a relatively northern growing citrus able to handle Alabama
with advent about 1850 or so in the USA). Earliest versions would have
used soured cream with sugar added.

Yogurt although makeable down south, just was not known until relatively
recent decades.

Old September 24th 10, 05:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Sep 20, 1:56*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
All taken care of, thanks. *It was my fault, I got the name of it wrong -
it's called "Ambrosia" (food from the gods as is Manna). *Carol replied with
some great recipes and I found a web page that's full of them (I guess there
is no one "official" recipe for it, so you just pick one by which
ingredients are in it).

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

It sounds like what my mom used to make, only she called it
"Heavenly Hash." Mandarin oranges, mini-marshmallows, nuts,
coconut, sour cream. It *is* yummy.

Sherry
Old September 24th 10, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Lesley" wrote
"jmcquown" wrote:

And yes, mandarin
oranges come in cans I've never seen fresh ones but I always have a
can
or two in the pantry. Hope someone else can help you.

I think fresh Mandarin oranges are tangerines but I could be wrong. I

Close! Related and so close, the main differences are cropping time and
water tolerance.
The genuine mandarin (also called Mikan or 'meekan' in Japan) is a little
smaller. I think a little sweeter too but not a big difference.
Someplaces, they are marketed as each other.

loved tinned Mandarin oranges when I was a kid- they were a big treat-
the sort of thing you get with Sunday tea but I haven't seen them in
the shops for a while- then again I haven't really looked maybe I
should

They are still there! Check and Asian grocery type place and bound to find
them.

Old September 25th 10, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Lesley" wrote
"jmcquown" wrote:

[...]

I can get them in my regular supermarket. They're right there with the
other canned fruit.

Joy

Old September 25th 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

i think i said this but am not sure, if you have an aldi they are sold there
at a reasonable price, Lee
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 25th 10, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 25/09/2010 9:34 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i think i said this but am not sure, if you have an aldi they are sold there
at a reasonable price, Lee

Mandarin segments in a car are available at our Aldi. They're even
available at our regular supermarkets most of the time, although unlike
most of the canned fruit, there's maybe one or two cans of mandarin
segments, rather than many different brands with lots of cans of the
same fruit.

Yowie
Old September 25th 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Happy

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:07:30 +1000, Yowie
wrote:

On 25/09/2010 9:34 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i think i said this but am not sure, if you have an aldi they are sold there
at a reasonable price, Lee

Mandarin segments in a car are available at our Aldi. They're even
available at our regular supermarkets most of the time, although unlike
most of the canned fruit, there's maybe one or two cans of mandarin
segments, rather than many different brands with lots of cans of the
same fruit.

Yowie

OK - I confess I chuckeled at Mandaring segments in a car.. LOL LOL

Does anyone remember to old joke about Prince Albert Cigars? Do you
have prince albert in a can? Well, let him out!

Yes, I'm old, I admit it...

Sophia
Old September 25th 10, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Sep 25, 9:51*am, Happy wrote:

Does anyone remember to old joke about Prince Albert Cigars? *Do you
have prince albert in a can? *Well, let him out!

That is worse than the joke someone told me the other day that has
produced more groans than any other I've told and I have quite an
extensive repetoire of jokes!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old September 25th 10, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Sep 24, 4:04*pm, "Joy" wrote:

I can get them in my regular supermarket. *They're right there with the
other canned fruit.

I looked last night and lo and behold they had them! And a tin of
evaporated milk.....fast and real comfort food for me! (I probably
hadn't noticed them recently because I rarely buy tinned fruit these
days) okay so probably not too good for me but after the week from
Hell- who cares? There are a lot worse things I could have had as a
treat

Old September 26th 10, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 26/09/2010 8:27 AM, hopitus wrote:
On Sep 25, 10:59 am, wrote:
On Sep 24, 4:04 pm, wrote:

I can get them in my regular supermarket. They're right there with the
other canned fruit.

I looked last night and lo and behold they had them! And a tin of
evaporated milk.....fast and real comfort food for me! (I probably
hadn't noticed them recently because I rarely buy tinned fruit these
days) okay so probably not too good for me but after the week from
Hell- who cares? There are a lot worse things I could have had as a
treat

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I've been busy in RL and finally got back online. First word of CN on
the
mandarin oranges mentioned *whole*. Commonly canned are *segmented*
not *whole*. Turns out she did mean *segmented* but unluckily I was
first
responder and took it literally. Not, they are NOT tangerines. I am
from a
place where all manner of citrus grows all over the place, and it
ain't UK.
I am now in another place where LOL *no* citrus at all grows here as
it is
too d*** cold and dry. From what the OP posted I first had the wrong
idea
that she might be talking *kumquats* but no.
I am alone, apparently, in disliking Ambrosia/.whatever. I ate so much
fresh
raw coconut right off the trees (with my father hacking, pounding, and
cracking
for me) that as often results, I can't stand it now. And the final
reason I never
liked this popular salad/dessert is that from Day One I have hated
mayo. I hold
tuna salad together with *horseradish*. To each their own, LOL.

Ewwww, I can't imagine Ambrosia being held together by *mayo*. Yuck! And
none of my family particularly likes coconut (I don't mind fresh
coconut, but the dessicated is entirely forgettable). Therefore my
"American Salad" which you folks know as Ambrosia, is made with sour
cream and doesn't have coconut in it :-)

Yowie