2 Hurt Rescuing Cat

Old November 16th 04, 07:01 PM
Jeanne Hedge

Default 2 Hurt Rescuing Cat

from the Chicago Tribune (the "Gold Coast" mentioned is an area of
downtown Chicago). Purrs for these people!

2 hurt rescuing cat from high-rise fire

Tribune staff reports

November 16, 2004, 12:48 PM CST

Two people sustained minor injury from smoke inhalation this morning
when they returned to their burning Gold Coast condominium building to
rescue a cat, authorities said.

The fire broke out shortly before 6 a.m. in the kitchen of a
two-bedroom unit on the fourth floor of the Newberry Plaza
high-rise,1030 N. State St. It was struck a half-hour later. Damage
was contained to the unit, officials said.

Firefighters told some residents of the fourth floor to leave the
building but later found two people who apparently had returned to
their unit, said Chicago Fire Department spokesman Dennis Gault. They
were helped outside and then taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

As for the feline, Gault added, "I would imagine the cat is all right,
but they were all lucky."

"We constantly preach that once you get out of the building, stay
out," Gault said. "People have a tendency to feel animals are part of
their family, but they are risking their own lives" trying to rescue
them, he added.

Fire investigators were seeking the fire's cause.

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old November 16th 04, 09:07 PM
Victor Martinez

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
out," Gault said. "People have a tendency to feel animals are part of
their family, but they are risking their own lives" trying to rescue
them, he added.

Because they *are* part of my family. I will most definitely risk my
life to save my babies.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 16th 04, 09:46 PM
D. R. Crawford

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Jeanne Hedge wrote:
out," Gault said. "People have a tendency to feel animals are part of
their family, but they are risking their own lives" trying to rescue
them, he added.

Because they *are* part of my family. I will most definitely risk my
life to save my babies.

Damn right. I would too, in a heartbeat.

Old November 16th 04, 10:09 PM
CatNipped

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
from the Chicago Tribune (the "Gold Coast" mentioned is an area of
downtown Chicago). Purrs for these people!

"We constantly preach that once you get out of the building, stay
out," Gault said. "People have a tendency to feel animals are part of
their family, but they are risking their own lives" trying to rescue
them, he added.

Fire investigators were seeking the fire's cause.

What do they mean "feel animals are part of their family"! They *ARE* part
of the family, they're my widdle babies - I *could* not leave them alone in
the building to burn and I *would* risk my life trying to rescue them.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 16th 04, 10:32 PM
Bridget

One of the longest days of my life was the day of the gas explosions
across the street from me. I KNEW there was a gas leak but needed to go
get groceries (it wasn't the first gas leak from this project they were
doing so I didn't think too much about it). I got in my friends car, we
pulled out of the parking lot, the first building across the street
exploded and within 10 seconds there were 25 emergency personel to
evacuate 30 apartments knocking on doors and getting the manager to open
the doors of people who didn't answer to make sure everyone got out. I
saw that absolute swarm of people and knew my babies were in there and
there was no way for me to get to them because they were getting people
out, not letting them in - and I knew it.

I didn't go get groceries (where would I have put them?). My friend
went with me to my therapists office where we waited the hour for my
appointment together and I watched the smoke since her office is only a
few blocks away. I was nuts. If I had my cats, I would have been okay,
but I couldn't tell what was happening and I just knew they were not
with me and it was unsafe THERE. From my therapists, I called a friend
and we sat in her living room with the television on while we got
conflicting reviews about what was happening and exactly where it was
happening. I was insane. And when they let us come back to our
apartments that evening, I was so glad to see them and so glad they
hadn't suffered from smoke inhalation - my apartment air was quite
clean, and so relieved I didn't have to take them to emergency care. I
truly never want another day like that for the rest of my life.

If I had thought for one second that I could have gotten past emergency
personel to get back to my apartment, I would have done it, but there
was just no way. There were too many of them. So I can understand how
someone would sneak back in to rescue their animals. Having been there
and wanted to do that.

Bridget

Old November 16th 04, 10:46 PM
Yoj

Cheers and purrs for those heroes!

--
Joy

Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way
things turn out.
-- John Wooden

"Rescuing" a cat Karen Cat anecdotes 33 April 17th 04 08:55 PM
My knees hurt! [email protected] Cat anecdotes 1 December 19th 03 05:24 AM
Oh my God Bruiser's on fire! (he's not hurt) John Biltz Cat anecdotes 27 November 3rd 03 06:16 PM