cats on new sod

Old April 18th 11, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy[_4_]

Default cats on new sod

Have any of you gotten new sod and a sort time later found that your
cat was sick? What were the symptoms? That's what happened here.
When he got over that illness, we went to FL (where he got lost for 10
days). When we returned and let him outside on a leash, after a few
days he got sick again. The vet does not know what it is. The
symptoms are not being able to urinate, while not being blocked. The
vet prescribed pain liquid which allowed him to urinate. I wish I
could find out more about this.

Old April 18th 11, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
news[_7_]

Kathy wrote:
Have any of you gotten new sod and a sort time later found that your
cat was sick? What were the symptoms? That's what happened here.
When he got over that illness,

What illness?

we went to FL (where he got lost for 10
days). When we returned and let him outside on a leash, after a few
days he got sick again.

He got lost and you returned and let him out on a leash?

The vet does not know what it is. The
symptoms are not being able to urinate, while not being blocked. The
vet prescribed pain liquid

Pain liquid?

which allowed him to urinate. I wish I
could find out more about this.

I wish you'd be more forthcoming about your cat's situation.
When you let your cat outside on "new sod" or let him get lost in the horrid
abyss that is Florida, is it any wonder that he's sick?

Old April 18th 11, 06:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

news wrote:

Kathy wrote:

Have any of you gotten new sod and a sort time later found that your
cat was sick? What were the symptoms? That's what happened here.
When he got over that illness,

What illness?

The illness where it hurt him to pee. Reread the post.

we went to FL (where he got lost for 10
days). When we returned and let him outside on a leash, after a few
days he got sick again.

He got lost and you returned and let him out on a leash?

The vet does not know what it is. The
symptoms are not being able to urinate, while not being blocked. The
vet prescribed pain liquid

Pain liquid?

You know, pain killers? You may have heard of those.

which allowed him to urinate. I wish I
could find out more about this.

I wish you'd be more forthcoming about your cat's situation.
When you let your cat outside on "new sod" or let him get lost in
the horrid abyss that is Florida, is it any wonder that he's sick?

Don't be such a jerk. Of course she didn't "let" him get lost. Things
happen. Are you claiming you've never had any kind of accident in your
entire life?

What is it about loving animals that turns some people into judgemental
asses? Judgemental asses who have no idea what they're talking about.

I remember when Kathy's cat was lost in FL while she and her family
were on vacation. The RV park people were really nice about it and let
them stay on extra time so she could continue looking for him. She was
hardly casual about it!

Allowing a cat out on a leash is probably the safest way to let a
cat enjoy the outdoors. And one doesn't usually expect that the cat
is going to get sick from sod. Maybe he has an allergy? Maybe it's
just occurring to her now that the two times he got sick involved
contact with the sod, so maybe it should be investigated.

I'm sure there are some chemicals in fresh sod that might have a
bad effect on some animals. I'm not sure why the symptoms would be
pain during urination, though - I would expect allergy symptoms to
be more like upper respiratory congestion, or nausea/vomiting, or
itchiness (do any animals besides us get hives?). Is there a way to
find out what chemicals are used to fertilize it, or any pesticides,
etc?

Kathy, I hope you find out what's ailing him!

Joyce

--
If an animal does something, they call it instinct. If we do exactly
the same thing for the same reason, they call it intelligence.
Old April 18th 11, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

wrote in message ...

news wrote:

Kathy wrote:

[...]

------

clapping Bravo, Joyce. A well said post, indeed!!!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Old April 18th 11, 01:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy[_4_]

On 2011-04-18 00:24:46 -0500, said:

news wrote:

Kathy wrote:

[...]

Thank you very much, Joyce. All of the parts you filled in where I was
trying not to make my note too long are exactly right. A contractor
put the sod down and he was not the most agreeable type of person, so I
doubt I will get an answer from him. I am suspecting weed killer and
fertilizer, but I don't know what kind, or what might counteract it.

Old April 18th 11, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

On 2011-04-18 00:24:46 -0500, said:

news wrote:

Kathy wrote:

[...]

-----

Kathy, many moons ago back when I still lived in Florida, we had our house
sprayed for fleas. At that time, we had 3 cats. The pesticide guy assured
me the spray was safe for the cats. About 2 hours after he did it, we
noticed Pooh on the bed. She wasn't really a bed type cat. Late that
night, when we were going to bed, Pooh was still up there. Early the next
morning, I knew something was wrong. Pooh's pads on her feet were swollen.
I checked the other two cats and they were fine. I took Pooh to the vet's,
but I can't recall what he gave her. I spoke to the pesticide guy again.
He told me he had never had problems with the flea spray and pets. My point
is that maybe your cat is allergic to something in the sod.

Here's hoping kitty is better soon!!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

Old April 18th 11, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:46:40 +0100, Jack Campin
wrote:

Have any of you gotten new sod and a sort time later found that your
cat was sick? What were the symptoms? That's what happened here.
When he got over that illness, we went to FL (where he got lost for
10 days). When we returned and let him outside on a leash, after a
few days he got sick again. The vet does not know what it is. The
symptoms are not being able to urinate, while not being blocked.

Maybe some kind of parasite infesting the sod?

Do you have any idea where it came from?

More likely pesticide or fertiliser that was recently sprayed on it.
Is your cat a big grass-eater?
Old April 18th 11, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Kathy wrote:
Have any of you gotten new sod and a sort time later found that your cat
was sick? What were the symptoms? That's what happened here. When he
got over that illness, we went to FL (where he got lost for 10 days).
When we returned and let him outside on a leash, after a few days he got
sick again. The vet does not know what it is. The symptoms are not
being able to urinate, while not being blocked. The vet prescribed pain
liquid which allowed him to urinate. I wish I could find out more about
this.

My guess would be some sort of genetic modification of the sod's grass
to provide weed control. We really don't know what goes into our
environment these days - nor our food (even the allegedly "natural"
varieties).
Old April 18th 11, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

news wrote:

I wish you'd be more forthcoming about your cat's situation.
When you let your cat outside on "new sod" or let him get lost in the horrid
abyss that is Florida, is it any wonder that he's sick?

You appear to be posting from the UK - what could you know about "the
horrid abyss that is Florida"? Ever been there? Or to the U.S.?

Old April 18th 11, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

"hopitus" wrote in message

On Apr 18, 10:58 am, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
news wrote:
I wish you'd be more forthcoming about your cat's situation.
When you let your cat outside on "new sod" or let him get lost in the
horrid
abyss that is Florida, is it any wonder that he's sick?

You appear to be posting from the UK - what could you know about "the
horrid abyss that is Florida"? Ever been there? Or to the U.S.?

----

Evelyn...this is a recipe candidate.
Peanut butter sandwich:
spread peanut butter on two slices of bread and stick them together.

----

You put peanut butter on both sides?? I always put it on one side. Am I
doing it wrong??

Laurie