Cat - litterbox. Change in diet?

Old June 1st 05, 06:04 PM

Default Cat - litterbox. Change in diet?

Howdy,

I have an alpha-male cat that sometimes doesn't use the litterbox.
I've been mainly putting the blame on him, and getting pretty fed up
with it. But the few times I'm around to see what is happening things
become a bit clearer. It appears he starts at the litterbox but then
has to work pretty hard at it... He ends up running around or running
elsewhere, and doing the second half of the chore elsewhere. I'm
feeding both the cats this purina standard adult dry food. A friend
said if it's pretty hard then perhaps the cat needs an enema, and
perhaps a vet visit, as that was required for his.

I'm thinking a change in diet is needed. Any quick suggestions
outside of a vet visit? He said he had to feed his cat pumpkin. I would
kind of prefer to stick to dry food as I'd like to move to an automatic
feeder so the feed time can be regularly scheduled, but if I must move
to wet food I could work around it.

Any advice is appreciated!

Old June 2nd 05, 09:08 PM
TheHermit

I'm sure he has plenty of fresh water available with his food already,
but you may want to check if he is drinking ok. Cats can be fussy about
what water they drink, my cat still prefers to drink from muddy puddles
in the garden to water in his bowl. Is yours an indoor only cat or does
he get to go outside? I know mine will nibble at grass to help his
digestion when he is out, not a huge amount, but I suppose the fibre
and moisture is a big help to his digestion.

I would also give him some wet food from time to time, and maybe even
consider wetting his dry food a little to help him with his digestion.
My own get a wet feed twice a week and sometimes a little extra as a
treat.

Above all, if you see no change in him soon, there is very little
option but to suggest a vet visit.

Hope all goes well with your little boy.

The Hermit.

---
Visit http://thehovel.com/bb for friendly chatter with cat minded
people.
The Hovel - Feline Friendly Internet.

Old June 7th 05, 03:49 AM
Rhonda

I think wet food would be a better option if your cat is that
constipated. Also canned pumpkin -- that does really help plain old
constipation.

I know you wanted suggestions other than vet visit, but you really
should find out why this is happening. Our cat was very constipated,
straining like you said, and it was because of chronic renal failure.
Her body was pulling fluids from anywhere it could, even from her feces
before they could come out.

Good luck,

Rhonda