Mama's worried

Old June 14th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Mama's worried

Singh wrote:
When Brandy had her dental surgery last year, she bounced quite nicely
back, including appetite. Now Roxie has an appetite, but turns her nose
up at whatever we set down. She'll come running for chow and go to her
favorite place (on the stairs) and investigate her dinner, but hasn't
much interest. Otherwise she's active and playful. I'm afraid she's
going to literally run herself ragged, in the bone-thin sense. We're new
to the dental thing, despite the Brandy scare. Roxie does have an
inflamed salivary gland--so the vet said yesterday at the follow-up. Is
my Little Girl on the normal side, and otherwise on the mend? I swear
I'll never forgive myself if something really awful happens; she's built
thin to begin with, and I want Roxie to eat! Or am I just being way too
paranoid?

Blessed be,
Baha

Gosh, I don't know, Baha. I don't have any experience with that with my
cats. Hope she gets her appetite back quickly. Boots is like that; so
dainty and tiny she doesn't have an ounce to spare.

Sherry

Old June 14th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

How about take some dry catfood, and run it through a pepper grinder.
Sprinkle it into her fur, and she'll lick it right up?

Either that, or put catfood on a plate, and pretend that they can't
have it. Set the plate down on the couch, and walk into the other
room.

If she's got dental problems, maybe her teeth hurt. I know I eat a lot
less when my teeth hurt. After the dentist I go on Slimfast for a meal
or two, cause I can just pour it in with out chewing. Can you get
kitty tylenol in a dropper? You'd have to adjust for body weight, but
it's a thought. Or infant tylenol, and figure based on kitty body
weight. Might help.

It doesn't sound paranoid to me, it sounds like the kitty is off her
feed.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Old June 14th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Singh" wrote in message
[...]

Baha, definitely talk to your vet about this. If cats don't eat they can
develop hepatic lipidosis *very* quickly - like a matter of days. There are
medications that can increase a cat's appetite, you may want to ask your vet
about those. Also there is a Science Diet canned formula (I think A/D) that
is very high in nutrients, very soft, and can even be syringe fed.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 14th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I think maybe Madame is going through a mood, and I don't blame her; I would
too if I'd just had my teeth messed with. She did eat this morning, but what
we had to do to get her to eat! Seems that Roxie is not so much off her feed
as she is persnickety. She comes running for the food. Last night I mashed up
some soft food and she was ready to chow down, then Stosh and Brandy came to
investigate what she was getting that was so different from their dinner.
Roxie made a protesting trill and scooted off. So we put her dish on top on
the cabinet in the bedroom, one of her favorite spots, and we put Roxie up
with it. So this morning she had a nice little breakfast five feet up from
the floor. I'm just wondering if she wants to be let alone a while,
considering that she's just had surgery and is still on pain stuff and
antibiotic. Stosh and Brandy can get into her face and chase her off. We're
going to get the Science Diet after work tonight; she likes it, thankfully,
and we'll see what other really high places we can find for tonight's special.
many thanks!

Blessed be,
Baha

CatNipped wrote:
When Brandy had her dental surgery last year, she bounced quite nicely
back, including appetite. Now Roxie has an appetite, but turns her nose

[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]

Old June 14th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I called the vet during my lunch and she told me no to be too worried because
Roxie has been eating bits here and bits there; this morning was the most
she's had since coming home, and the office thinks that a combination of the
procedure, medicine and a swelling in a salivary gland is to blame. They knew
about the swelling, it came as a result of the operation, and the vet told me
repeatedly it was common and not to alarm myself, it would go down. And it
has shrunk a bit, I saw for the first time this morning. And I suppose she
has a right not to be concerned with chow, or anything else, being doped up.
I didn't know my own name after having my wisdom teeth out (by a dentist less
competent than her reputation implied, the jawbreaker; I'd have been better
off getting it done at the vet!) Roxie actually has a heluva appetite, even
now; she wants to eat. When we break out the chow after coming home from work,
they all come running and meowing, and Roxie is right there with them doing
the kitty-dish dance. They figure she's frustrated because first, she loves
her crunchies and can't have them; second, everyone has this OCD thing about
examining eath other's dishes as if they all get something different. In this
case it's true, Roxie's been getting the Science Diet A/D since the weekend,
alone or mixed with regular soft chow. Last night she did finally eat--after
my original post, the stubborn Madame!--and this morning she ate even more
after I took some Whiskas and smooshed it up with a fork. It wasn't a full
serving, but then i gave her more than usual and I was just glad to see her
munch, and she took to it with good gusto. Roxie likes to be left to eat in
peace, but doesn't want to be sequestered. Problem is the Juvies come around
to investigate her dish and she runs someplace where she can meditate in
peace. They get along, but the kids are hyper and want to play with rougher
physicality than Roxie likes so she scoots. Anyway, the vet and tech said
she's actually progressing better than thought, despite it all, and she's
starting to come back after her ordeal. Mama will continue like a hawk to
watch her though!

Blessed be,
Baha

Old June 15th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Baha via CatKB.com wrote:
snippage
It wasn't a full
serving, but then i gave her more than usual and I was just glad to see her
munch, and she took to it with good gusto.

So glad to hear Roxie is doing better and eating properly.

Old June 15th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Baha via CatKB.com" u18616@uwe wrote:
They get along, but the kids are hyper and want to play with rougher
physicality than Roxie likes so she scoots. Anyway, the vet and tech said
she's actually progressing better than thought, despite it all, and she's
starting to come back after her ordeal. Mama will continue like a hawk to
watch her though!

I can understand your being concerned. Towards the end, I was
practically obsessed with keeping Betty fed. I remember how I was
trying to feed her a piece of ham by hand, and I was crying because it
kept falling out, and Betty was crying because she was hungry and
wanted the ham, although she couldn't hold it.

It was hard the few days after her next to last vet trip, when she was
a bit sore because they had to extract more teeth. I improvised some
recipes that I kept adapting as Betty's condition changed though, and
towards the end, she seemed to be putting on some more weight.

Old June 16th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Baha via CatKB.com wrote:

I called the vet during my lunch and she told me no to be too worried because
Roxie has been eating bits here and bits there; this morning was the most
she's had since coming home, and the office thinks that a combination of the
procedure, medicine and a swelling in a salivary gland is to blame. snip

I'm so glad to hear Roxie is eating more.
Continued purrs and best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek