Man Beats 7 Pound Cat to Death with Stick in Worcester, MA

Old July 1st 09, 09:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Squash Casserole (WAS Man Beats 7 Pound Cat to Death with ?Stick in Worcester, MA)

wrote in message
Lesley wrote:

On Jun 26, 9:20?am, "jmcquown" wrote:

Squash Casserole

2 c. thinly sliced yellow (crookneck) squash

We don't really get much squash in the UK apart from butternut- would
that do?

I didn't post the original recipe, but in my opinion, I'd say no.
Yellow squash is considered a "summer squash" and has a very different
consistency from the winter squashes such as butternut.

Do you get zucchini? That'd probably work as a substitute.

--
Joyce ^..^

You're right, Joyce. Hard shelled squash is not a substitute. But I happen
to have a lovely recipe for butternut squash soup

Jill McQuown's Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

2 butternut squash (about 4 lbs.)
2 Tbs. olive oil
4 c. chicken stock or broth
2 c. water
2 Tbs. minced garlic
1-1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried tarragon leaves

Cut squashes in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Brush with olive
oil and place, cut side down, on a baking sheet. Roast the squash at 350F
for 1 hour until tender. Handle with an oven mitt; scoop the flesh from the
shell with a spoon and place in a large mixing bowl. In another mixing bowl,
blend together the stock and water. Add minced garlic. Puree the squash in a
blender or food processor with the liquid in batches, adding liquid as
needed, until smooth (this can also be done in the cooking pot with a stick
blender). Add the salt & pepper, onion powder and tarragon. Bring soup to a
boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook over very low heat about an hour,
stirring occasionally. Serves 8-10.

Jill

Old July 1st 09, 09:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Squash Casserole (WAS does not bear reapeating)

"Marina" wrote in message
William Hamblen wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 05:31:56 +0300, Marina
wrote:

I believe gourd is what the Brits call marrow, while summer squash is
called courgette in the UK. I hope I got that right.

Courgette = zucchini.

Yellow squash is easy to grow.

Bud

OK, I thought summer squash was the same as zucchini (the Finnish name for
zucchini is literally summer squash). Is summer squash the yellow one?

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Both are summer squashes in the U.S. but my recipe calls for crookneck
squash which is not the same as a courgette (green soft skinned) squash.
They have similar tastes and textures but aren't the same variety. It's
interesting how different things are from one continent to another

Jill

Old July 1st 09, 09:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
wrote:

I believe gourd is what the Brits call marrow, while summer squash is
called courgette in the UK. I hope I got that right.

Courgette = zucchini.

Yellow squash is easy to grow.

Bud

OK, I thought summer squash was the same as zucchini (the Finnish name
for zucchini is literally summer squash). Is summer squash the yellow one?

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Well darned if some of these don't look like zucchini.

http://images.google.com/images?oe=U...snum=809322593

I don't get this. Here are yellow ones and lower down, the green ones
I am used to seeing.
Maybe zucchini is a *type* of summer squash?

Of course it's a type of summer squash. It grows in the U.S. in the summer
Yellow (crookneck) is also a summer squash but it's not the same thing
as zucchini. One is fairly long and definitely green, the other is yellow
and slightly bulbous towards the end. Both are soft-skinned, not gourds
like winter squashes (which include acorn squash, butternut, variious
pumpkins).

Jill

Old July 1st 09, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Jul 1, 2:51 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
"hopitus" wrote in message

http://images.google.com/images?oe=U...ient&gfns=1&q=...

I don't get this. Here are yellow ones and lower down, the green
ones
I am used to seeing.
Maybe zucchini is a *type* of summer squash?

Of course it's a type of summer squash. It grows in the U.S. in
the summer
Yellow (crookneck) is also a summer squash but it's not the
same thing
as zucchini. One is fairly long and definitely green, the other is
yellow
and slightly bulbous towards the end. Both are soft-skinned, not
gourds
like winter squashes (which include acorn squash, butternut,
variious
pumpkins).

Jill

Thanks for explanation. When I lived in BayArea, CA during the 80's
my
coworkers at the hospital and friends in my 'hood kept trying to
shove
zucchini at me (I hate cooked zucchini) which I kept refusing...all
of
them
were growing it in great abundance in their little veggie
gardens...but then
a pal who worked part time gave me a recipe for zucchini bread loaf.
love it to this day and think of her, up in inland Oregon, where she
returned,
every time I see it in my supermarket on the shelves.

**************

Zucchini bread is best made with the oversized ones you end up with
if you forget to harvest the darn things for a day or two.

Just as well, as that is about the only thing they are good for.

(Well, they do make an amazing chocolate cake, but Matthew had
chocolate cake pretty well covered.)

Jo

Old July 1st 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"jmcquown" wrote in news:7b0ll3F219va4U1
@mid.individual.net:

"outsider" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

"outsider" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

Combine all ingredients. Place in a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.
Bake at 350F for 1 hour until set. You may spoon this into
individual ramekins if desired. I've found lightly steaming the
squash for a couple of minutes after slicing it results in a better
texture when the casserole is baked.

Note: If using leftover cornbread rather than dry crumbs, reduce

the
liquid slightly.

Jill

If you must be a usenet cop you might try being a bit more timely.

I'm soooo terribly sorry real life intruded so that I couldn't

monitor
every single post on rpca and reply to them every day! Maybe you
don't have a life... I happen to have one. Get over it.

Jill

Sure, no one has a life but you.

(sigh) I wish I knew what your problem is. I'm still unpacking from a
rather harrowing move. I'm so sorry "outsider" if my reply to the

TROLL
wasn't timely enough for you. Sheesh.

Jill

Let me help you with some things he

Timeliness was not the crux of my comment; usenet cop was.

When you say to someone "Maybe you don't have a life... I happen to have
one. Get over it"

don't be surprised if they answer with "sure, no one has a life but you".

As for outsider in quotes, who knows what is in you mind about that
"jill".

Old July 1st 09, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

hopitus wrote in
:

On Jul 1, 12:48*pm, outsider wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in news:7b0ll3F219va4U1
@mid.individual.net:

"outsider" wrote in message
4...
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

"outsider" wrote in message
. 254...
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

[...]

I love people who know more big words than I do. Baha does. Now you,
though
"crux" is not a long word. Had to google it...sounds like something
that would
be on Matt's cornbread. Bake till crux is golden brown.....

I used crux because I did not want to use a word that had anger in it;
that was the best I came up with. And as far as Mathew's cornbread
recipe! Don't get me started! The chocolate cake recipe was not bad
enough; noooo he had to aim a loaded cornbread recipe at us and pull the
trigger. It is ok though, I will remember. Now I have to get bake to
the kitchen.

Old July 2nd 09, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

"outsider"
hopitus

On Jul 1, 12:48 pm, outsider
"jmcquown"

"outsider" ...
"jmcquown"
"outsider"
"jmcquown"
Combine all ingredients. Place in a 1-1/2 quart casserole
dish. Bake at 350F for 1 hour until set. You may spoon this
into individual ramekins if desired. I've found lightly
steaming the squash for a couple of minutes after slicing it
results in a better texture when the casserole is baked.

Note: If using leftover cornbread rather than dry crumbs,
reduce
the
liquid slightly.

Jill

Baking in this hot weather??? Umkay

[...]

Great pun

I used crux because I did not want to use a word that had anger in it;
that was the best I came up with. And as far as Mathew's cornbread
recipe! Don't get me started! The chocolate cake recipe was not bad
enough; noooo he had to aim a loaded cornbread recipe at us and pull the
trigger. It is ok though, I will remember. Now I have to get bake to
the kitchen.

And I am not causing trouble!
Kyla
--who has no life

Old July 8th 09, 05:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 04:51:59 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

"hopitus" wrote in message
wrote:

I believe gourd is what the Brits call marrow, while summer squash
is called courgette in the UK. I hope I got that right.

Courgette = zucchini.

Yellow squash is easy to grow.

Bud

OK, I thought summer squash was the same as zucchini (the Finnish name
for zucchini is literally summer squash). Is summer squash the yellow
one?

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Well darned if some of these don't look like zucchini.

http://images.google.com/images?

oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=summer
+squash&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=1uRGSv6OEIuKNseEiLQK&sa=X&oi=image_result_gro up&ct=title&resnum=809322593

I don't get this. Here are yellow ones and lower down, the green ones I
am used to seeing.
Maybe zucchini is a *type* of summer squash?

Of course it's a type of summer squash. It grows in the U.S. in the
summer Yellow (crookneck) is also a summer squash but it's not the
same thing as zucchini. One is fairly long and definitely green, the
other is yellow and slightly bulbous towards the end. Both are
soft-skinned, not gourds like winter squashes (which include acorn
squash, butternut, variious pumpkins).

Jill

The summer-squash-vs.-winter-squash terminology is because the hard-
shelled squashes will keep for several months under cool conditions, so,
in the days before long-distance transportation of food, they were the
only variety available in the winter. The soft-shelled squashes will
keep only a couple of weeks or so, so they have to be eaten shortly after
being harvested. Now, with the use of refrigeration and mechanized
transportation, both types of squash are available year-round.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from