Mama's Hat

Old March 13th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

Default Mama's Hat

"MLB" wrote in message
MatSav wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message
Robert Lewis Stevenson's poem

I have a little shadow that goes round and round with me
And what can be the use of him is more than I can
see,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Anybody know the rest?

I didn't 'know' the rest, but Google was my friend:

My Shadow
by Robert Louis Stevenson

I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed.

The funniest thing about him is the way he likes to grow-
Not at all like proper children, which is always very slow;
For he sometimes shoots up taller like an India-rubber ball,
And he sometimes gets so little that there's none of him at
all.

He hasn't got a notion of how children ought to play,
And can only make a fool of me in every sort of way.
He stays so close beside me, he's a coward you can see;
I'd think shame to stick to nursie as that shadow sticks to
me!

One morning, very early, before the sun was up,
I rose and found the shining dew on every buttercup;
But my lazy little shadow, like an errant sleepy-head,
Had stayed at home behind me and was fast asleep in bed.

One of the Google links also led to this:

http://craftinsomniac.typepad.com/cr.../08/boots.html
:-)

Thanks for the post. I remembered it from long ago as a song
(sing-song?) but I was apparently wrong. Your backyard cat is
a beauty as is what I can see of your daughter. Best wishes.
MLB

Definitely not my back yard, and (as far as I know), I don't have
a daughter! That was just a link that I found following through
from my Google search for the poem.

--
MatSav

Old March 13th 10, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"BfloPolska" wrote in message
I have a little white thing
And China is her name
And when I go to bed at night
She plays a little game.

When I lay my head to rest
My little China cat
Winds herself around my head
And makes a purring hat.

Blessed be
Baha

I love this little poem! It's so sweet. Thank you for sharing it

Jill

Old March 13th 10, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Mar 12, 3:28*pm, wrote:

Oh, I wasn't thinking of that song. (I used to do parodies of that
about my cats... "I have a little Smudgie, she's made all out of fur,
and when I stroke and pet her, how loudly she will purr..." Or
something. Actually, Smudge doesn't purr loudly. Poetic license.)

To the tune of "Pass the Dutchie" by Musical Youth

"I'm gonna skitch the Dunzi on the left hand side
I'm gonna skitch the Dunzi on the right hand side"

Or to the tune of James Blunt's "You're beautiful" (Yeah I know it's
an awful song and it's a lot worse when I sing it)

"You;re beautiful you're beautiful
So beautiful it's true
with your pretty face
And your amazing grace
And I don't know what I should do
Should I stroke or skritchie you?"

Accompanied of course with the right actions

Lesley

Tone deaf slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old March 13th 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Lesley wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:28 pm, wrote:

[...]

I used to sing that to Snoopy. :-( I use the term sing very loosely.

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old March 13th 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Mar 13, 1:26*pm, Adrian wrote:

I used to sing that to Snoopy. :-( I use the term sing very loosely.

Which one? And if you think in your case you use the term "sing" loosely I consider it a measure of my cats innate politeness (or maybe I sing at feeding time and they're hungry) that they don;t run out screaming. I did 5 karaokes and won "worst singer" every time/ For some mad reason the only thing I can sing well is "Hungry like a wolf" by Duran Duran

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old March 15th 10, 10:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote in message

MLB wrote:

wrote:

No, I was thinking of a different song, more like this:

http://www.sonic.net/~jwermont/misc/...hinas_song.mp3
(Please excuse 2-3 seconds of silence at the beginning.)

Robert Lewis Stevenson's poem

I have a little shadow that goes round and round with me
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Anybody know thw rest? MLB

That's a song?

I know that tune, I used to play a clapping game with it when at 'infant'
school (ie, between the ages of 5 and 8)

'My boyfriend gave me an apple, my boyfriend gavbe me a pear, my boyfriend
gave me a kiss on the lips and threw me down the stair-air-airs. I gave him
back the apple, I gave him back the pair, I gave him back the kiss on the
lips and threw him down the stair-air-airs'.

Its the only clapping tune I can remember - my sister & I still have the
'muscle memory' to do the most intricate and fast clap together, but I don't
think I could teach it to someone else any more.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old March 15th 10, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Mar 14, 5:38*am, Adrian wrote:

You're beautiful.

Thanks Adrian- you're not so bad yourself :-)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old March 15th 10, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
BfloPolska

On Mar 12, 6:06*pm, Joe Dee wrote:
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:08:56 -0500, wrote
(in article ):

PS - I can just hear the tune this ditty goes to, but I can't remember
the name of the song, if I ever even knew it.

I have a little dreidel
I made it out of clay
And when it's dry and ready
Then dreidel I shall play!

Oy, I'll have this in my head for quite some time! It's ironic that
such an admirer of Jewish culture as I, have never played dreidel nor
sung that cute little song. I have, however heard it many times on one
of the other cultural avenues I deeply admire, "South Park."

Blessed be,
Baha
OY!!!
Old March 15th 10, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On Mar 12, 6:06 pm, Joe Dee wrote:
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:08:56 -0500, wrote
(in article ):

PS - I can just hear the tune this ditty goes to, but I can't
remember the name of the song, if I ever even knew it.

I have a little dreidel
I made it out of clay
And when it's dry and ready
Then dreidel I shall play!

Oy, I'll have this in my head for quite some time! It's ironic that
such an admirer of Jewish culture as I, have never played dreidel nor
sung that cute little song. I have, however heard it many times on one
of the other cultural avenues I deeply admire, "South Park."

Found another one my mother used to quote,:

Miss Lucy had a baby,
She named him Tiny Tim,
She put him in the bathtub,
To see if he could swim.

He drank up all the water,
He ate up all the soap,
He tried to eat the bathtub,
but it wouldn't go down his throat.

Miss Lucy called the doctor,
Miss Lucy called the nurse,
Miss Lucy called the lady
with the alligator purse.

In walked the doctor,
In walked the nurse,
In walked the lady
with the alligator purse.

Mumps said the doctor,
Measles said the nurse,
Nothing said the lady
with the alligator purse.

Out walked the doctor,
Out walked the nurse,
Out walked the lady
with the alligator purse.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Tap tap tappin' on Mama's Nose jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 4 February 9th 09 07:49 PM
Mama's Muscleman Marina Cat anecdotes 1 August 23rd 06 06:26 AM
Mama's worried [email protected] Cat anecdotes 9 June 16th 06 10:34 PM
Mama's little helpers Singh Cat anecdotes 0 July 27th 05 05:25 AM
Mama's couch potatoes Singh Cat anecdotes 4 May 29th 05 01:24 AM