Emily's Mischief Quotient

Old January 6th 04, 04:43 PM
Bobcat

Default Emily's Mischief Quotient

We don't know about her I.Q., but our little grey brat-cat Emily's M.Q.
(Mischief Quotient) is very high. We've already told you about other
manifestations of this part of Emily's nature, such as short-circuiting our
house's telephone system (twice), dumping our stereo system on the floor,
eating ribbon off a gift package and regurgitating it on the living room
rug, etc. Now she's into a new venture - moving small items around the
house. First it was a long string of beads from the Christmas tree which I
found the other day in an upstairs bedroom. And this morning I set a pen
beside me on the bed, intending to install a new ink cartridge in it. Emily
marched over, picked it up the pen in her mouth and jumped to the floor with
it. At the bedroom door she placed the pen down, and studied it. Apparently
undecided on what to do with it, she abandoned it and wandered off in search
of other activities. Do any of your cats transport small objects around
your home, and possibly hide them? I'd like to feel we're not alone!

Old January 6th 04, 07:57 PM
John Biltz

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 7:43:11 -0800, Bobcat wrote
(in message ):
Do any of your cats transport small objects around
your home, and possibly hide them? I'd like to feel we're not alone!

Bruiser does this. He is always digging the rubber flange on the garbage
disposal out. He pulls it out and carries it around the living room.
I've mentioned the money clip that showed up on the living room floor. I
still have no idea where that came from. The other day, after the
mattress truck that was delivering to the neighbors left, he showed up
with a chunk of styrofoam packing material.

Old January 6th 04, 08:53 PM
Marina

"Bobcat" wrote
Do any of your cats transport small objects around
your home, and possibly hide them? I'd like to feel we're not alone!

Nikki carries around toys and sings to them. Her latest favourite is the
little piggy that Frank got for his birthday in November. She will carry it
around the flat while singing to it. Often I will find it when making the
bed in the morning - she brings it to bed with her. Just now I found it
standing by the cats' food bowls, staring balefully at them. The spooky
thing is, it always stands on its legs, she never drops it on its back or
side. I get the feeling it is walking around by itself. cue theme from
Twilight Zone

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old January 6th 04, 09:04 PM
Bobcat

"Marina" wrote in message

"Bobcat" wrote
Do any of your cats transport small objects around
your home, and possibly hide them? I'd like to feel we're not alone!

Nikki carries around toys and sings to them. Her latest favourite is the
little piggy that Frank got for his birthday in November. She will carry

it
around the flat while singing to it. Often I will find it when making the
bed in the morning - she brings it to bed with her. Just now I found it
standing by the cats' food bowls, staring balefully at them. The spooky
thing is, it always stands on its legs, she never drops it on its back or
side. I get the feeling it is walking around by itself. cue theme from
Twilight Zone
Marina, Frank and Nikki

LOL! We feel heartened by Nikki and Bruiser's misadventures, because they
make us realize that we're not alone. Nikki's hauling her toys around is
matched by Emily's hauling around "The Stick". It's a 3-foot slender pole
with dangly bits at the end. She totes The Stick over to us, or even up the
stairs, trying to persuade us to play with her by swishing The Stick around
for her while she pounces on it. She usually wins, and we've missed more
good moments on television because of her demands on us to man - The Stick!

Old January 6th 04, 11:04 PM
polonca12000

That must be hilarious, Marina! Thanks for the laugh.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Marina" wrote in message
Nikki carries around toys and sings to them. Her latest favourite is the
little piggy that Frank got for his birthday in November. She will carry

it
around the flat while singing to it. Often I will find it when making the
bed in the morning - she brings it to bed with her. snip

Old January 7th 04, 01:06 AM
Hans Schrøder

"Bobcat" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Well known scenario!

Our first Devon Rex, Loomis, was quite good at this.

I used to put my clothes on the floor when I got to bed, sloppy as I am, and
I always put my watch on top of the heap.

One morning when I got up, in a hurry as usual, I couldn't find my watch. It
was gone, disappeared, nowhere to be found... We immediately suspected
Loomis, but he refused to tell us anything about the incident. So I had to
borrow on of my wife's watches (Embarassing, embarassing!) for several days
and weeks!

We didn't find the watch until three weeks later, during a big cleaning
session in the bedroom. He had hidden the watch as far under the bed as he
could get.

I just he got some fun out of it before he hid it permanently... No reason
to say, but now, still piling up my clothes on the floor at bedtime, I
always hide my watch in the front pocket of my jeans....

Hans

Old January 7th 04, 01:17 AM
Brenda

"Bobcat" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

my cats, especially Max, all practice this form of Kitty Feng Shui.
Brenda

Old January 7th 04, 03:20 AM
Renee Darvin

Gizzi digs rubber bands out of the trash -- usually upending the waste
basket to make it easier. Since they are not really cat-friendly toys,
we do try to discourage him. Hah! Ever try to discourage a
single-minded cat?

TC doesn't practice thievery, exactly, but woe be unto anyone who leaves
an open book on a bed! It is so much FUN to rip them apart at the
seams!

And over the last few years, I have purchased not one, but three!
packages of little white "mousies." They are gone -- all of them.
Now what can possibly have happened to 18 toy mice? Do cats barter?
Trade with the neighbors for toys they would like better than the ones
we buy for them? Scary, isn't it?

Renee

"Time spent with cats is never wasted." Colette "I've
traveled a long way -- and some of the roads weren't paved!" Anon
"I am too blessed to be stressed" Anon

Old January 7th 04, 02:02 PM
Stacey

"Renee Darvin" wrote

SNIP And over the last few years, I have purchased not one, but three!
packages of little white "mousies." They are gone -- all of them. Now what
can possibly have happened to 18 toy mice? Do cats barter?
Trade with the neighbors for toys they would like better than the ones we
buy for them? Scary, isn't it?
SNIP

Patrick's favorite toy is little plastic spiders (or the rings) you get
around Halloween. We, too, would buy a gazillion of them and they would
slowly disappear. Then when we moved from one apartment to the other, we
moved the refrigerator for some reason and found *all* the spiders under the
fridge!

Stacey

Old January 7th 04, 02:10 PM

Stacey wrote:

Patrick's favorite toy is little plastic spiders (or the rings) you get
around Halloween. We, too, would buy a gazillion of them and they would
slowly disappear.

Remember those sticky, rubbery spiders that you'd throw against the
wall, and they'd slowly "crawl" down? Those used to drive my cats crazy.
One cat I had used to sit underneath the slowly descending spider,
completely riveted, and howl at it. Later on, I'd find them around the
house, with some or all of the legs eaten off.

Joyce