What Do you do? A Poll

Old January 17th 05, 11:55 PM
Tanada

jmcquown wrote:

Victor Martinez wrote:

O J wrote:

Respectfully, I have to disagree. While a dozen or more cats is
definitely an asset if one aspires to be a "Crazy Cat Lady", some
people are able to make it work with as few as two or three.

I must take exception to the obvious sexist nature of the term "Crazy
Cat Lady". There are plenty of us guys out there who might share the
same passion/obsession.

What would be PC? Crazy Cat People springs to mind....

Jill

A rather strange and warped cat. He's currently working on ways to get
back at the d-thing for continually sticking his nose up PC's butt and
scaring him.

Pam S. amused by the communication between the two species
Old January 17th 05, 11:59 PM
SUQKRT

In article . net, Tanada
wrote:

Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I know we

have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what passes for one) and
so forth. You don't have to be any more specific than you
want, but I confess to being extremely curious. If you're currently out of

work, you don't have to say so, just list your career field.

I am a Substitute Teacher for Cumberland Co. North Carolina, married to a

Blackhawk mechanic/inspector who is medically retired from the US army.

Pam S.

I'm disabled and have done some paid work. During the 80's I did alot of
volunteer work and was a consumer advocate for all things innvolving disabled
in Kalamazoo MI. My health went downhill bigtime in the second half of the 90's
I ended up in Nursing Homes, then I fell in love moved to Mass., fell out of
love, escaped the Nursing Homes.

My education background is a degree in Criminal justice with leanings toward
social work. I advocated for low income people with housing problems, worked on
4 congressional campaigns and two Presidential. I've done tons (literally,
sorting, labeling) of bulk mail. Chaired committees, chaired organizations, and
chaired around Kazoo alot (bad pun, I had to do it). Taught advocacy,
co-developed an attendent care matching service.
Suz
Macmoosette

"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."
--Faith Resnick

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")

Old January 18th 05, 12:38 AM
Yowie

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Marina wrote:
I hear it's an acquired taste. Yowie is training Cary to love vegemite
as we speak. How's the carpet?

Hmmm... that might qualify as child abuse in some countries... ;-)

Victor, who knows lots of people love vegemite but still can't
understand why

The trick with vegemite is not to slap it on like you would jelly or peanut
butter. A *scraping* is all that is required, at least until you can eat it
straight out the jar :-)

And since - according to my travelling friends - American bread is actually
quite sweet compared to ours, you'd be better off trying it on sour dough
bread or rye rather than your regular white bread. It goes really well with
a very strong, sharp cheese.

Yowie

Old January 18th 05, 01:19 AM
Christina Websell

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Marina wrote:
I hear it's an acquired taste.

Victor, who knows lots of people love vegemite but still can't
understand why

The trick with vegemite is not to slap it on like you would jelly or
peanut
butter. A *scraping* is all that is required, at least until you can eat
it
straight out the jar :-)

Is Vegemite like our British Marmite? A scraping on toast is lovely, if you
slapped it on it would burn your mouth off. B12 overdose. Brown stuff in a
little jar.

Tweed

Old January 18th 05, 02:35 AM
Mishi

Marina wrote:
I hear it's an acquired taste. Yowie is training Cary to love vegemite as

we speak. How's the carpet?

Hmmm... that might qualify as child abuse in some countries... ;-)

snip
The trick with vegemite is not to slap it on like you would jelly or peanut
butter. A *scraping* is all that is required, at least until you can eat it
straight out the jar :-)
snip, part deux

Yowie

Is it like chewing a Brewers yeast tablet? That can taste nasty, but if you
put enough butter on it, it isn't bad.

Patti

Old January 18th 05, 03:39 AM
badwilson

"O J" wrote in message
Britta wrote:

I totally agree! I never spit. Dennis and I have had some great
times touring the wineries in Margaret River (the town we're

planning
to move to). The best way to avoid getting too drunk is to eat

some
tim tams between tastings. Mmmm, wine and tim tams :-)

If you're staying in San Francisco, one of the popular pursuits is a
winery tour. They are mostly north of the city. Novice tasters

stop
at the wineries on their right, the east side of the road, on the

way
up and those on the west side on the way back. Experienced tasters
drive to the end and make stops on both sides on the way back,
quitting when they've had enough.

Wish I knew what tim tams were.

Yes, Dennis and I have done winery tours in the Napa valley and in the
Sonoma valley. Very nice :-) When we still lived in Vancouver it
wasn't such a big deal to drive down to California. Now...not so much
;-)
Tim tams are this Australian cookie, it's a long rectangle of
chocolate cookie with a center layer of chocolate fudge and the whole
thing is coated in chocolate. They are very yummy! They have tons of
different varieties and every time Dennis and I go to Australia we try
every type, "just to make sure".
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

Old January 18th 05, 03:45 AM
badwilson

"bonbon" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:15:32 GMT, Tanada

wrote:
snip

I am a Substitute Teacher for Cumberland Co. North Carolina,

married to
a Blackhawk mechanic/inspector who is medically retired from the US

army.

Pam S.

I freeze my butt off. It's been rather chilly here in Houston

lately,
and although I'm actually a seamstress, for the past 6 months or so,
I've been installing marble flooring and just recently began working
with natural slate also. It's pretty cold running that wet saw
outside in 35 degree temperatures, but it's very gratifying work at
the end. (Well, aside from the callouses, broken off fingernails,

and
rather embarrassing arm muscles.)

-bonbon

Arm muscles are not embarrassing. I lift weights every second day in
order to get as many muscles as possible. Muscles are a "good thing"!
Dennis used to moonlight as a tile layer in the winters. He tiled a
bunch of new high-rise condos in downtown Vancouver. He learned how
to do it so well, we tore all the carpet out of our brand new condo
before even moving in and tiled the whole place. It was awesome, but
hard work!. We got 40% off the price of the tiles too because he
worked in the industry.

Old January 18th 05, 04:17 AM
David

"Tanada" wrote in message
news

On 2005-01-14, Victor Martinez penned:

I am a process control engineer kinda married to a TV producer and host,
writer, teacher, and garden designer.

"kinda married"? Is that like being a little bit pregnant? =P

With the laws being as short sighted as they are about gay marriages,
sorts married is about the right term.

Another "kinda married" poster here, who works in a church office, is a
substitute church organist, and sings in a small early-music ensemble.

My partner and I have been together for nearly 20 years, so whenever I
encounter a form on which choices are given for marital status, I always
hesitate involuntarily, because the choices always seem to be "Single,"
"Married," or "Divorced." But as far as state (Arizona) and country are
concerned, we have no status. Tucson, however, does have a domestic
partnership ordinance; it ensures hospital visitation rights and family
rates for city facilities that charge fees. That's as far as it goes,
unfortunately.

Bruce's company does provide domestic partner benefits, and I think they
even adjust salary to compensate for the federal taxation of those benefits.
At our church gay and lesbian people are fully involved at every level of
parish life--the parish adopted several years ago an official welcoming
statement. I'm also a semi-retired church organist, and fill in whenever our
regular organist is out of town.

Fortunately, our cats are equal-opportunity, nondiscriminatory lap fungi.

David Wachter

Old January 18th 05, 04:25 AM
Yowie

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Marina wrote:
I hear it's an acquired taste.
Victor, who knows lots of people love vegemite but still can't
understand why

The trick with vegemite is not to slap it on like you would jelly or
peanut
butter. A *scraping* is all that is required, at least until you can eat
it
straight out the jar :-)

Is Vegemite like our British Marmite? A scraping on toast is lovely, if

you
slapped it on it would burn your mouth off. B12 overdose. Brown stuff in

little jar.

Vegemite would be a very close cousin to marmite (and promite), yes. It is
also high in B12, and is made out of the left-overs from beer making, hence
the yeasty-ish taste. And indeed, it is also bron stuff in a little jar.
Except that it can also come in quite big jars.

Yowie

Old January 18th 05, 04:27 AM
Yowie

Marina wrote:
I hear it's an acquired taste. Yowie is training Cary to love vegemite

as
we speak. How's the carpet?

Hmmm... that might qualify as child abuse in some countries... ;-)

snip
The trick with vegemite is not to slap it on like you would jelly or

peanut
butter. A *scraping* is all that is required, at least until you can eat

it
straight out the jar :-)
snip, part deux

Yowie

Is it like chewing a Brewers yeast tablet? That can taste nasty, but if

you
put enough butter on it, it isn't bad.

Its probably quite similar, not ever having chewed on a brewers yeast
tablet. But it is made from the remains of the yeast and other sediments
from the beer making process, is chock full of B12, and is quite salty.

Yowie