Buffy the cat is not so smart

Old September 20th 05, 12:34 PM
Lots42

Default Buffy the cat is not so smart

Buffy the cat hasn't learned that the bird has a warning signal for us
humans. And then Buffy tries to act all innocent and droop in our arms
as we drag her away from the cage for the thirtieth time.

How do we stop this? Closing the door to the cage room is impractical.

Using a spray bottle is usless and just makes for a wet cat.

Old September 21st 05, 12:46 AM
Karen

On 2005-09-20 06:34:29 -0500, "Lots42" said:

Buffy the cat hasn't learned that the bird has a warning signal for us
humans. And then Buffy tries to act all innocent and droop in our arms
as we drag her away from the cage for the thirtieth time.

How do we stop this? Closing the door to the cage room is impractical.

Using a spray bottle is usless and just makes for a wet cat.

Make the cage more inaccessible?

Old September 21st 05, 01:24 PM
Lots42

On 2005-09-20 06:34:29 -0500, "Lots42" said:

How do we stop this? Closing the door to the cage room is impractical.

Using a spray bottle is usless and just makes for a wet cat.

Make the cage more inaccessible?

I'm open to suggestions

Old September 21st 05, 01:37 PM

On 2005-09-20 06:34:29 -0500, "Lots42" said:

How do we stop this? Closing the door to the cage room is impractical.

Using a spray bottle is usless and just makes for a wet cat.

Make the cage more inaccessible?

I'm open to suggestions

This is a tough one and it's been a while since I have done the
cat-bird problem. In rare extreme situations, I will pick up a cat by
the scruff of the neck and stare and/or shout at the cat and let her
know that her rights have been suspended in that situation. One fellow,
in regards to another situation not with birds, used to get down on all
fours and act as the cat would to another cat for warning, to let her
know what she was doing was a big no-no. But he was more strange than I

Sometimes a cat is too big to pick up by the neck [like, oops, as a
mommy cat does] but you have to get through to the cat that this is a
big time no-no. You might want to try some other groups where there are
more behaviorists. Generally it's not an easy solution with certain
cats and can be quite problematic since cats harbor certain germs which
are lethal to birds, like Pasturella multocida and others. A light bite
and possibly fatal unless the bird gets antibiotics almost immediately.

Old September 21st 05, 03:29 PM

A bell or citrus on the floor around the cage? I gather a clicker
training person might suggest rewarding the cat for turning away. This
would involve rewarding the cat instead of reprimands.

Old September 21st 05, 06:17 PM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article .com,

On 2005-09-20 06:34:29 -0500, "Lots42" said:

[...]

I must share a family story of the tables being somewhat turned. My MIL
had taken in an injured raven. By all accounts, Sparkle, the feline
member of the family, simply wanted to investigate.

The raven swept its uninjured wing and lobbed a surprise cat across the
room.
Old September 23rd 05, 06:43 PM
jmcquown

Lots42 wrote:
Buffy the cat hasn't learned that the bird has a warning signal for us
humans. And then Buffy tries to act all innocent and droop in our arms
as we drag her away from the cage for the thirtieth time.

How do we stop this? Closing the door to the cage room is impractical.

How so?

Using a spray bottle is usless and just makes for a wet cat.

Sorry, I don't have a suggestion. Persia is the only cat I've ever had and
the spray bottle definitely taught her my two parakeets were off-limits.
They passed away but I have a lovebird now and Persia pays absolutely NO
attention to her. When she exhibited curiosity when I first got Peaches
(who is this strange feathered creature?) the spray bottle worked. Not sure
why it isn't working for you.

Do you let your bird fly around? If so, that's probably what is attracting
Buffy. Definitely close the door to the cage room if your bird is in full
flight.

Jill