OT - After Gustav

Old September 2nd 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default OT - After Gustav

Some of you may know that my entire family, except for me and my son, lives
in the outskirts of New Orleans. I thought you might like an update on how
they fared [though I wasn't able to get through on anybody's cell phone -
thank gawd for texting!]

Things worked out well as far as their safety.

My daughter and her family had planned a vacation to Panama City Florida and
had a hotel booked. When they knew the storm was heading for N.O. they just
called and changed hotels to a pet-friendly one and brought the dogs along
with them instead of leaving them to be pet-sat by a neighbor. There was a
little bit of a scare when a levee about 2 miles from their home started to
break (it was leaking badly and there was some minor flooding) - but with
all the emergency workers waiting around with (thankfully) nothing to do,
they immediately got everyone on the job and shored it up with earth and
sand-bags.

My daughter and her family (nor any other evacuees from N.O.) won't be able
to go home for a few days yet as there are still about 80,000 homes in and
around N.O. without power and there is going to be a large clean-up effort
going on today and tomorrow. My daughter won't know for sure if there has
been any damage to her home until they get there to look for themselves, but
it looks *very* hopeful - and even if some damage was sustained, it won't be
anything *NEAR* what Katrina did. Right now I'm just hoping they can get
back home before any of the FIVE other storms heading for the US get to
Florida!!!

My mom went to Covington to stay with my eldest brother who built a home
there after Katrina - their power went out and there was lots and lots of
rain, but they stayed safe and dry indoors.

The rest of the family, my other brother and all my nieces and nephews,
scattered to the four winds, having been taught a good lesson by Katrina -
get the heck out of the way!!! They're all safe, but, as with my daughter,
nobody knows how their homes fared - just that there wasn't any major
flooding.

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Old September 2nd 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
snip
My daughter and her family had planned a vacation to Panama City
Florida and had a hotel booked. When they knew the storm was heading
for N.O. they just called and changed hotels to a pet-friendly one
and brought the dogs along with them instead of leaving them to be
pet-sat by a neighbor. There was a little bit of a scare when a
levee about 2 miles from their home started to break (it was leaking
badly and there was some minor flooding) - but with all the emergency
workers waiting around with (thankfully) nothing to do, they
immediately got everyone on the job and shored it up with earth and
sand-bags.

snip

I'm glad all your family are safe. Does Erin still have Gypsy, I know she
was quite elderly when Katrina struck.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old September 2nd 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Adrian" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
snip
My daughter and her family had planned a vacation to Panama City
Florida and had a hotel booked. When they knew the storm was heading
for N.O. they just called and changed hotels to a pet-friendly one
and brought the dogs along with them instead of leaving them to be
pet-sat by a neighbor. There was a little bit of a scare when a
levee about 2 miles from their home started to break (it was leaking
badly and there was some minor flooding) - but with all the emergency
workers waiting around with (thankfully) nothing to do, they
immediately got everyone on the job and shored it up with earth and
sand-bags.

snip

I'm glad all your family are safe. Does Erin still have Gypsy, I know she
was quite elderly when Katrina struck.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Yep, Gypsy had an unexpected Florida vacation - the elderly lady got a few
days in the sun on the beach. They also have a Labrador Retriever puppy
now. Digger now lives with a friend in the country (Erin's family tearfully
had to rehome him because they couldn't get home owners' insurance with a
Rottweiller living there). They check up on him often and he's very happy
in his new home, but they still miss him.

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old September 2nd 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

We have been thinking of and purring for you and yours. Please continue to
keep us updated.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old September 2nd 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
snip
[...]

I knew about Digger, I was sorry they to rehome him. I'm very glad to hear
Gypsy's still around and doing OK.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old September 2nd 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

I've been thinking about your family. Good to hear they are okay.

--
Ann
in Connecticut

Old September 2nd 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

I'm happy to hear that your family fared well and are safe. Those
in New Orleans seemed to be pretty well prepared for Gustav.

Debbie

Old September 2nd 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_4_]

"CatNipped"
[...]

I've been thinking about you and your family, both human and kitties, and
glad everyone is safe.
Hugs and purrs
Kyla

Old September 2nd 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Sep 2, 11:06*am, "CatNipped" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message

CatNipped wrote:
snip
[...]

CatNipped- Hide quoted text -

It's very good that everyone is ok and the houses are, at least, not
covered in floodwater. It is also a wonder that Panama City has sun on
the beach when all those storms are stomping around the Carib and the
Gulf. I always thought the beaches at PC were the nicest, except that
they are unfortunate in actually having winter when all the yankees
want to fly south.

--
Will in New Haven

Old September 13th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

CatNipped wrote:
Some of you may know that my entire family, except for me and my son, lives
in the outskirts of New Orleans. I thought you might like an update on how
they fared [though I wasn't able to get through on anybody's cell phone -
thank gawd for texting!]

snip
Chin Skritches,

CatNipped