Houston Humane Society is advertising front paw declawing!!

Old February 13th 07, 06:09 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Professor

Default Houston Humane Society is advertising front paw declawing!!

I wrote to them and got this response:
The Houston Humane Society does not in any way PROMOTE the declawing of
cats. We understand the harsh realities of the procedure and the rare but
problematic side effects that can occur. Our employees suggest other
alternatives whenever possible, and we only offer declawing at the time of
spay and neuter surgery to eliminate unnecessary time under anesthesia, and
to deter people from declawing cats mindlessly before considering
alternatives.

We provide declawing surgery because we feel that the only thing more risky
than declawing a cat is abandoning a cat for destructive scratching behavior
that doesn't respond well to repeated deterrents. We encourage our clients
and potential adopters to try every alternative first, but we provide the
procedure because the BIGGEST heartbreak to the animal world is having pets
turned loose and made homeless because of destructive behaviors.

HHS employees have appeared on numerous local television news broadcasts to
educate Houstonians about the realities of cat scratching and why it is a
necessity. In fact, just two weeks ago we did a segment on KPRC Local 2
about why cats scratch (exercise, shedding the dead skin cells, stretching,
etc.), and that segment taught people about humane alternatives to "retrain"
your cat if he or she is exhibiting destructive scratching behavior. We also
tell people about Soft Paws. We give verbal advice and written materials to
any clients and potential adopters with questions about the realities of
declawing.

Every single one of us here at the HHS appreciates your willingness to teach
people about the grisly realities of declawing, and I hope that you educate
the people in your life about alternatives to declawing. We would be happy
if no cat owner ever requested to declaw their cat rather than give it up or
turn it loose.

The Houston Humane Society

Old February 13th 07, 06:28 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

That's the exact response that a person in anecdotes received.

If they are advertising the surgery and its cost, do they really "offer
alternatives" when someone shows up with their cat for the procedure?

Rhonda

Old February 13th 07, 08:07 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Houston Humane Society is advertising front paw declawing!! - slight correction

"Rhonda" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:

I believe the basis of Charlie's opinion is the excessive importance men
place
upon their own testicles. Those little eggs in their hairy sack are all
tied up in
their personalities in ways no ovaries have ever influenced a woman's
psyche.

Charlie is generally a bright and circumspect man, but he is after all,
only a man.

OMG, that made me laugh!

Can I keep a copy of your post and repost it every now and then as the
subject comes up?

Rhonda (still snickering)

Why, yes, of course, Rhonda! I think it may be funny because it has the
ring of truth.

Old February 13th 07, 08:23 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

Well I'm a guy and had no problem getting Icarus neutered.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"cybercat" wrote in message
.. .

"Wendy" wrote in message
. ..

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:21:10 -0500, Wendy wrote:

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
.. .

So why not give the cat a vasectomy and thereby preserve the horomonal
conditions bestowed by sweet Mother Nature?

Charlie

Probably because he'd still behave like an un-neutered male - mating
(even thought he would be shooting blanks) and fighting. He'd have the
opportunity because an un-neutered male would be much more difficult to
keep in or around ones home as he'd be quite inclined to wander off
looking for some 'action'.

This is my point -- the neutering is done for the convenience of the
owner, as much as for any other reason. Certainly it alters the nature
of
the cat at the most basic level, substantially changing its behavior and
its temperament.

I will grant that de-sexing reduces the tendency of cats to engage in
high-risk behavior, and so it extends their lives. But what is more
important -- quantity or quality of life? I have followed the declawing
debate in this group a number of times. One of the arguments
against declawing is that it deprives a cat of something fundamental to
its nature, and therefore diminishes its quality of life. But the
people
with declawed cats deny that this is the case. They say their pets seem
happy and contented, to which the anti-declawers respond by saying it's
an
illusion; cats are good at masking their suffering. If that is true,
then
how can the anti-declawers assure themselves that neutering doesn't have
similar effect?

Charlie

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I find no good
reason to leave cat intact.

There are far too many cats out there that nobody is taking care of. The
fact is that people aren't going to keep a cat (in far too many
instances) if they are spraying, yowling and marking the neighborhood.
They aren't going to want the vet bills to take Muffy or Buffy to the vet
regularly to get the abscesses from cat bites treated. If they do keep
him, they will be heart broken when kitty sickens and dies at 8 or 9 from
health issues that could have been avoided or even much younger when they
are found dead in the road. The cat isn't better off engaging in behavior
that can get him sick and/or dead.

I grew up with a intact male cat. My mom blamed my dad for not getting
him neutered but either way, Sniffy ended up with no ears because they
were ripped and bitten off in cat fights. He had to have his various
wounds treated every morning after he got a little older and started
losing the fights to the young turks on the block and he died at 9 of
mouth cancer. If he were out there today he probably would have
contracted feline AIDS or Leukemia. My mom had to listen to irate
neighbors calling to complain about him peeing on their front porch and
he did mark every doorway on the first floor of the house when she had
the nerve to bring in a kitten. He was no happier than my two neutered
boys and died young.

Wendy

Old February 13th 07, 08:38 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

Yes, I too got the same response and on this issue Cat Galaxy is doing a
story on it. The problem here is that this is what many shelters will state
that they'd rather have the cat declawed (if all other options have been
exhausted) and stay with the family than have the cat dumped out on the
street somewhere because they scratched the furniture. An ugly answer. Even
the Arizona Humane Society in Phoenix subscribes to that one even though
generally they have stated they are not for declawing at all. In fact the
AHS does show and describe exactly what is involved with the surgery in
order to convince people to search for other options.

Both the Houston and AHS might want to copy this from Paw Placement's
playbook. They will not adopt out any cat that someone has the intention of
declawing. They ask how the person feels about declawing during the adoption
screening process and even have a clause in their contract that states if
the person adopts a cat and then intends to have them declawed that they
will seize the cat.

Old February 13th 07, 09:05 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rhonda" wrote
Cats also should not be eating commercial cat food, they should be eating
live mice. We should be providing several mice for them every day.

No, they should have to hunt down, kill, and eat several mice a day.

(My girls apparently took down two mice that found their way inside,
about a year apart. There was not a scratch on the pretty little creatures,
and both cats were staring their demand for breakfast at me over their
little mousie bodies.)

Old February 13th 07, 10:02 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 07:10:23 -0500, Wendy wrote:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I find no good reason
to leave cat intact.

I'm not arguing from conviction but rather from the standpoint of a
skeptic. I neutered my own male cat, and if he is less than happy he
conceals it admirably.

My point is not that neutering is bad, but that it is as invasive as
declawing, and people should perhaps re-examine their beliefs to evaluate
how much they are based on a real knowledge of feline nature, and how much
on woo-woo emotionalism.

Charlie
Old February 13th 07, 10:03 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:42:38 -0500, cybercat wrote:

Charlie is generally a bright and circumspect man, but he is after all, only
a man.

Of course. Thank you for putting me in a flattering perspective.

Charlie
Old February 13th 07, 11:30 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:42:38 -0500, cybercat wrote:

Charlie is generally a bright and circumspect man, but he is after all,
only
a man.

Of course. Thank you for putting me in a flattering perspective.

You're welcome. You have had so many flattering things to say about the
"ladies" of rpch+b. Or was it, "cat ladies?" Hmm. Maybe it was "hysterical
cat ladies." I just cannot recall.

Old February 13th 07, 11:47 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Good!

Rhonda