I have a couple of questions about the breed of my cats.

Old July 13th 05, 06:04 PM
Jen M. via CatKB.com

Default I have a couple of questions about the breed of my cats.

Hi there--

Girly--is a tortie cat--lol I read this morning about the temperments of
torie cats--I had no idea. She was a feral cat-so add that in with the
tortitude--it all makes sense!

I read where it said tortie is a coloring and not a breed. Not sure what
breed she is. She is a very long cat and somewhat thin by nature--I think.
She has a somewhat small head--but looks like a 'normal cat'--by that I mean--
no wild eye colors, no unusual ear shape, etc. How would I learn what breed
she is? Girly is very curious by nature. She is a shy animal during the day-
-sleeps quite a bit and rarely eats, movies, ventures out during the day--but
at 5:00 p.m.--I call this the 'witching hour'--she becomes a completely
different cat--you can tell that she would be quite the huntress. Will play
with dangling toys for over an hour or longer--not really interested in a
laser light--loves to hunt things. She has found my stone and crystals--each
morning one will be gone--and the game is for me to see which item is missing-
-ironically I have never found any of the missing items--and I have cleaned
the apt. top to bottom and have yet to find any of her 'finds'.

Now to Spot--For a while I thought Spot was a tabby--but I wasn't finding
pictures that matched him--he has like three colors--and a lot of white--the
colors seem to run from his face over his back and sides--his belly, under
his chin/neck are white. His coloriing isn't in stripes--but like patches--
as far as I can tell he is calico--but I thought I read somewhere that
calico's were females? Also, to his breed--he is a tall and long cat--with a
large lion-like face--a beautiful cat. He is a big boy--somewhat similar
body style to the main (is that correct spelling) cat--but not as big as some
of the pictures I have seen. He weighs 14 lbs--but isn't overweight. He has
the fur and texture--I would guess close to a rabbit--very thick and lush--
the white hair is a bit longer and softer than the colored parts--he has lots
and lots of fur--and sheds like there is no tomorrow. His temperment is
pretty easy going--a bit indifferent--but is really a big lovey. He will
groom me when I pet him. His favorite thing to do is sleep. He enjoys every
moment of sleep. Isn't that active--will occassionally swat at a toy or
chase a laser light--but that is it as far as his activity or interest goes.

I don't have a digital camera as of yet--sorry about that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jen

Old July 13th 05, 06:39 PM
Victor Martinez

Jen M. via CatKB.com wrote:
I read where it said tortie is a coloring and not a breed. Not sure what

Right. Most torties are just regular domestic short or long haired cats,
known as moggies in the UK.

breed she is. She is a very long cat and somewhat thin by nature--I think.
She has a somewhat small head--but looks like a 'normal cat'--by that I mean--
no wild eye colors, no unusual ear shape, etc. How would I learn what breed
she is? Girly is very curious by nature. She is a shy animal during the day-

If she looks like a regular cat, chances are she's a DSH.

his chin/neck are white. His coloriing isn't in stripes--but like patches--
as far as I can tell he is calico--but I thought I read somewhere that
calico's were females? Also, to his breed--he is a tall and long cat--with a

What colors does he have? There are calico males, but they are very unusual.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 13th 05, 07:20 PM
wafflycat

"Jen M. via CatKB.com" wrote in message
[...]

Unless she's a pedigree, she isn't any breed other than cat :-)

[...]

Again - unless pedigree with papers, then no specific breed other than 'cat'
which is, incidentally, the best breed of all :-)

Cheers, helen s

Old July 13th 05, 08:01 PM
Jen M. via CatKB.com

Ok, DSH it is, lol.

I am looking at spot now--he has some taupe, black, and silver-I think.

Thanks,
Jen

wafflycat wrote:
Hi there--

[quoted text clipped - 24 lines]
cleaned
the apt. top to bottom and have yet to find any of her 'finds'.

Unless she's a pedigree, she isn't any breed other than cat :-)

Now to Spot--For a while I thought Spot was a tabby--but I wasn't finding
pictures that matched him--he has like three colors--and a lot of

[quoted text clipped - 21 lines]

Old July 13th 05, 08:20 PM
jmcquown

Jen M. via CatKB.com wrote:
Ok, DSH it is, lol.

I am looking at spot now--he has some taupe, black, and silver-I
think.

Thanks,
Jen

Calicos are black, orange and white