Water question

Old February 16th 04, 11:35 PM
TJ and The Dust

Default Water question

Hi guys! I have a question... How much water should a cat drink a day? I have
a cat health book here that says 1oz per pound o' body weight. That would put
The Dust at about 13oz. His bowl holds 12oz and he has never even come close to
consuming even 1/2 of it in 24 hours ever. So now he is visiting the water bowl
often. He is still drinking the same amount of water, no more than he has
before but he spends a lot of time at the bowl lapping. He does this a lot at
night when he is most active. During the day when I have been home with him he
hardly drinks anything but at night, he sounds like a dog drinking out of the
toilet. Speaking of which, I have been monitoring his water intake for about a
week and we have kept the toilet lids down so he can't drink from there. So he
spends more time at the bowl but is not consuming more water.

As far as his urine goes it's exactly the same as always. One, sometimes two
times a day he pees. It's a big quantity of urine but nothing so excessive it
leaves a puddle or floods the box. When I scoop every morning it's just a
baseball sized lump of litter. Is this a lot of urine? Now remember he only
goes once or twice a day.

We have a TED appointment on Wednesday for a blood pressure check-up so I will
address it then for sure. I have just been doing a lot of research in the cat
book and on the net and everything I find is talking about a cat consuming
"excess" water. This isn't the case, same amount. And a cat with increased
urination. Again, not an increase just a big amount at one time. Otherwise his
appetite is good, he is back on dry food, he takes his high blood pressure pill
every day. He is active, alert and is gaining weight.

I am just so paranoid with his health. Anyone else seen this strange behavior.
It's kind of the equivalent of me drinking an 8oz glass of water by either
chugging it or consistently sipping it slowly. Damn cat.

TJ and The Dust

Old February 17th 04, 01:45 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , TJ and The Dust at
wrote on 2/16/04 5:35 PM:

[...]

To me it sounds pretty normal TJ. Let us know how the appointment goes.

Karen

Old February 17th 04, 02:50 AM
Jo Firey

I'm guessing that even if you knew the exact amount a cat should drink, it
wouldn't have much to do with what they will drink.

Ours probably drink about 8 to ten ounces between them out of their bowls.
But they also lick dripping faucets, jump in the tub to see if anything has
collected around the drain, check out the birdbath and the neighbors cats
water bowls.

Jo

Old February 17th 04, 03:44 AM
TJ and The Dust

Oh yours sure do drink everywhere! Dusty is an indoor only beast, we don't
have any dripping faucets, toilet lids are closed, no other pets with water
bowls, fish tank lid is tight and we all shower behind a glass door. LOL. He
has no choice but to drink his fresh, filtered, cooled by ice cubes water out of
his little yellow bowl!

TJ and The Dust (who is snoring away next to me on the desk)

Old February 17th 04, 03:57 AM
Victor Martinez

Well, it would be impossible to tell how much water a cat should drink
without discussing what he eats first. If a cat eats mostly wet food,
then he'll probably drink very little, but if he eats mostly dry food he
should/will drink more.
I wouldn't worry if he is peeing normally. Baseball sized per day per
cat sounds about right. We usually fill a gallon ziploc bag worth of pee
and poo per day... I'd say in an average day there are around 20 or so
urine clumps and I've noticed that urine and clumping litter have an
additive effect when mixed, i.e. you end up with more than you started
with, as far as volume is concerned.

You're not paranoid, you're a good slave.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old February 17th 04, 04:36 AM
Hopitus2

I'll start right off by stating that I don't know anything about cat blood
pressure or meds for this condition in cats. That said, hope to reassure you
that "baseball-sized" clumps of urine/clumping litter are the norm in our
litterboxes. AFA how often the Evil 3 visit the boxes individually, can't
say.Am able, though, to see them in the box doing their things and am always
on red alert for straining or cries of pain therefrom (none so far). One of
your posts, Pam, answered one of my first mental ?'s: you keep his drinking
water cold or very cool for him? If he's not really drinking more in
quantity, but it just seems to take him a long time to "get it down", could
his *teeth* be paining him like ours would if bad teeth we had were in
contact with cold drink or foods? Vet can tell if any teeth are loose and/or
infected. Our Evil 3 drink about a full 6" diameter ceramic bowl a day of
filtered water, but as everyone knows, it's warm and humid down here most of
the time; LOL they all let me know in non-subtle ways when the water bowls
are running low here.

"CATherine" wrote in message
: On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:35:39 -0700, "TJ and The Dust"
: wrote:
:
: Hi guys! I have a question... How much water should a cat drink a day?
: snip
:
: I am just so paranoid with his health. Anyone else seen this strange
behavior.
: It's kind of the equivalent of me drinking an 8oz glass of water by
either
: chugging it or consistently sipping it slowly. Damn cat.
:
: TJ and The Dust
:
:
:
: Amber is like this. He is at the water pan a lot and he pees a large
: pee-ball. I figure his bladder is twice as large as my other cats. But
: I don't feel he is excessively drinking or peeing. It varies with the
: season and activity. And how much wet food he gets.
:
: The Dust is a large cat and needs more water for his body to work. And
: so he would drink and pee accordingly. He must have a very good
: sphincter and a large bladder.Or maybe his kidneys work in cycles
: instead of continuously. A comprehensive urine test would help settle
: your mind. My vet has urine strips that show the composition of a lot
: of things in the urine. He used this on Sheba the day she was
: diagnosed with diabetes.
:
: CATherine

Old February 17th 04, 04:56 AM
Marina

"TJ and The Dust" wrote
Hi guys! I have a question... How much water should a cat drink a day?

I don't know the answer to your question. My cats eat mostly wet food, so
don't drink a lot of water. They use the litterbox about twice a day per
cat. They are sending lots of purrs for the Dust to be alright and to soothe
his worried Meowmie. Have you checked what Phil says on Max's house? If you
don't have it bookmarked, it's at http://www.maxshouse.com/ (man, I hate
that music!).

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old February 17th 04, 05:41 AM
Yowie

"Hopitus2" wrote in message
[...]

Shmogg gets a third of a can of wet food for breakfast, and another third
for dinner (cans hold about 400g of cat food, IIRC). He also sometimes
drinks out of the shower when I'm done (why, I'll never know), and he also
drinks about 100ml of water very day from his special cup under the bathroom
faucet (hewon't drink fromany other location, nor out of any other cup,
silly cat), and he pees quite a decent puddle at least once a day.

IIRC, cats don't sweat, so perhaps he drinks slowly when he's feeling hot so
that the coolness stays on his tongue longer.

Yowie

Old February 17th 04, 09:44 AM
polonca12000

Lots of purrs and best wishes for nothing to be wrong with Dusty, and hugs
for his worried slave,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"TJ and The Dust" wrote in message
Hi guys! I have a question... How much water should a cat drink a day?

snip

Old February 18th 04, 05:44 AM
LOL

"TJ and The Dust" wrote in message ...
Hi guys! I have a question... How much water should a cat drink a day?

(big snip)

TJ and The Dust

I don't have any idea; Mike drinks almost exclusively from dripping
faucets, so it's hard to gauge how much water he gets. And he sprays
so blasted much it's hard to monitor the litter box for output, since
it's all over the house instead of in the box. But I wanted to send
some healthpurrs to Dusty, and purrs for his visit to TED tomorrow.

------
Krista

[OT] Soccer Movie Question Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 5 January 13th 04 03:57 PM
Hi and Question Mary Pelis Cat anecdotes 12 December 18th 03 04:02 AM
toys and water Brenda Cat anecdotes 8 November 27th 03 09:31 PM
question potential for adopting - longish OU812? Cat anecdotes 12 August 19th 03 10:35 AM