spa

Old October 22nd 13, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default spa

jmcquown wrote:

In typing class I had to type some text sitting on a stand next
to the typewriter. Couldn't look at my fingers and had no way to
backspace to correct. Of course there were points off for typos. With
a computer I got much faster and still am.

Same here, but I'm much less accurate. I think knowing that I can just
backspace to correct typos has caused me to be much more lax about typing
correctly.

I'm not fast enough for what used to be called a typing pool. Although I
learned touch typing in high school, and have used keyboards throughout
my working (and non-working) life, I've never worked primarily as a typist.
The clerical jobs I've had were mostly data entry. Once I started to work
as a programmer, though, I was at the keyboard almost all the time. (The
first joints in my fingers are suffering for that now!) But I think the
vast majority of my touch typing has been used for writing emails to friends
and email lists, and posting on Usenet.

since I stopped writing in longhand for the most part, my handwriting has
really degraded. Has anyone else noticed this? (About your own handwriting,
not mine. )

--
Joyce

I will not sniff at my male human's feet after he takes his shoes off,
freeze my mouth open in disgust and then sniff my private parts to compare
odors. -- Cat Resolutions
Old October 22nd 13, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Oh, yes! My handwriting is much worse than it used to be. I've also
noticed the difference in accuracy. I think Spellcheck has something to do
with that, too. In fact, I used to be a very good speller. Now I'm not as
good as I was. Part of that could just be the fact that I'm 78 and my brain
is slowing down, but I think part of it comes from the knowledge that I can
depend on Spellcheck, so I don't bother to memorize spellings.

Joy

Old October 23rd 13, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 14:05:03 -0700, Joy wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

If you don't pay enough attention to what the Artificial Idiot is
suggesting, however, you can easily end up making hilarious and/or
embarrassing posts. Spell checker software is notorious for choosing the
wrong word from its list as a substitute for what you typed.

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Old October 23rd 13, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's very true.

--
Joy

Land older than time
Red earth and dry riverbeds.
Why do I love you?
--- Australia Haiku by Joy Gaylord

Old October 23rd 13, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

"Bastette" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

That's what damnyouautocorrect.com is all about. (That site focuses
on autocorrects in text messages, but it's the same idea.)

Then when you get into speech-recognition software, it can be really
bad. A friend of mine, who has chronic pain in her hands and wrists and
can't type uses Dragon Naturally Speaking (or whatever they're calling
it now) for almost everything on the computer. One time she emailed a
message to her boss about the difficulties she was having with some
new software she was learning, and she asked "How come we don't have
manual sets?" What her boss saw was... wait for it... "How come we don't
have manual sex?" Lucky for her he had a sense of humor.

By the way, Joy, I love your haiku!

--
Joyce

"Riveting reading that keeps readers reading."
-- The Midwest Book Review

Old October 23rd 13, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Joyce. A man on another newsgroup also uses Dragon Naturally
Speaking. He has been using it long enough that now it mostly comes out the
way he wants it. However, at first, it was basically gibberish.

Joy

Old October 23rd 13, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/22/2013 3:30 PM, Bastette wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

On 10/21/2013 7:40 PM, Mike Mayers wrote:
there is a bluetooth keyboard for about $60 that will work with the tablet.

It might, unless it's as small as a laptop keyboard. I use a laptop
computer but I can't type on a laptop keyboard. They keys are too
scrunched together. I learned to type on an actual typewriter. I
have a separate keyboard attached to the laptop and that's what I use.
I like being able to touch-type. I rarely look at my fingers when
typing because my hands just know where the keys are. Sure, I make
typos. But not all that many and none of them are critical.

Jill, how do you have it all positioned? I'm picturing the laptop sitting
open, and your keyboard sitting on the desk between you and the opened laptop.
Does that mean that the distance between you and the monitor is the depth of
both keyboards? I've tried that and found that the monitor was too far away.
Especially since laptop monitors are small to begin with.

My desk (which is a very cheap "student desk") has a pull-out keyboard
tray and the keyboard I use sits on that. So no, it's not the laptop
and then my keyboard in front of the laptop keyboard. My laptop has a
17" screen, which helps. With this configuration it's not too far away
for me to see.

My laptop (which recently conked out on me) was hooked up to a separate
keyboard, mouse and monitor. I was mostly using the laptop the same way I'd
use a desktop machine. If I wanted just the laptop, it wasn't too hard to
disconnect the cables.

I use the laptop just like you did. I don't carry it around with me and
I don't run it off the battery. If I had to evac for a hurricane or
something I can easily unplug the peripherals and take the laptop and
charger with me. In that case, I'd have to make do.

Jill
Old October 23rd 13, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/22/2013 5:05 PM, Joy wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

I hand-write notes to my two 90-year old aunts and to John, none of whom
have a computer. My handwriting is still pretty good. Then again,
while legible, I never would have won any penmanship awards!

I don't use spellcheck because half the time I found I was having to
pause to figure out which word it *thought* I was typing. It slowed me
down. Spellcheck and auto-correct programs don't understand context.

Jill
Old October 23rd 13, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/22/2013 12:31 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:
On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 16:24:24 +0000, John F. Eldredge wrote:

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 22:58:23 -0700, Joy wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 10/21/2013 8:50 PM, Joy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 10/21/2013 6:27 PM, Joy wrote:
"Rusty" wrote in message
On Sunday, October 20, 2013 9:29:00 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
On 10/20/2013 4:17 PM, Mike Mayers wrote:

spazzie is doing very well. she almost screams ewhen she is
hungry but I am trying to get her used to eating twice a day.
also I am trying to get used to typing on this tablet!

I'm glad to hear Spazzie is doing well.

I also think you're doing much better than I would at typing on a
tablet.

Jill

I found typing on a tablet requires a lot of patience. Much prefer
using 10 fingers instead of one or 2. -- Winnie

I'm with you. My fingers know where the letters are when I can use
all of them. With only two, I have to keep checking.

Joy

Stylus or not, I touch-type about 100 WPM. A tablet would just slow
me down!

Jill

Yup. Although I don't think I was ever quite that fast.

Joy

My typing teacher in high school (two years of typing class, way
before anyone had personal computers) was rather intimidating. She
did say I typed at about 80 WPM. I got much faster than that when I
learned to use a computer. I attribute that to being able to look at
the screen as I type. In typing class I had to type some text sitting
on a stand next to the typewriter. Couldn't look at my fingers and
had no way to backspace to correct. Of course there were points off
for typos. With a computer I got much faster and still am.

Jill

I think the fastest I ever tested on a typewriter was 75 WPM. Like
you,
I think I've gotten faster on a computer, but I've never timed myself.
For one thing, there's no return lever or key on a computer, so that's
bound to save some time.

Joy

Now that you have aroused my curiosity, I am going to check and see if
there are any typing-speed-measuring apps for Linux. I learned touch
typing many years ago, and I know my typing speed has gradually
increased, but I have no idea what the current speed is.

I found an online typing speed test at http://www.typeonline.co.uk/
typingspeed.php. It measured my speed as 45 words per minute.

That was fun! I was clocked at 65WPM with 7 mistakes. Then again, I
haven't had to type from some pre-prepared text in many years. I'm sure
I've never had to type *Wattleborough*. LOL

Jill