Why?

Old October 17th 13, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

Default Why?

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:36:02 PM UTC-4, Christina Websell wrote:
"Judith Latham" wrote in message

Is your bath a metal one? If so and as he does prefer the bath, maybe a

big metal roasting tin would tempt him.

No, it's plastic.

Perhaps he does like anything in

the tray such as litter or earth. Just a couple of thoughts.

Sorry, what do you mean?

Tweed

--

Judith Latham

Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Maybe he doesn't like anything in his box. No litter, etc. Yes, I was thinking of a metal turkey roasting pan or the like.
Old October 17th 13, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Mishi" wrote in message
On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:36:02 PM UTC-4, Christina Websell wrote:
"Judith Latham" wrote in message

Is your bath a metal one? If so and as he does prefer the bath, maybe a

big metal roasting tin would tempt him.

No, it's plastic.

Perhaps he does like anything in

the tray such as litter or earth. Just a couple of thoughts.

Sorry, what do you mean?

Maybe he doesn't like anything in his box. No litter, etc. Yes, I was
thinking of a metal turkey roasting pan or the like.

It's an interesting idea that a cat would use a litterbox with no litter at
all in i.e. totally empty. I've seen him toilet many times outside and he
always digs in earth and leaves that are often quite damp. Quite in the
English sense meaning a bit, not very ;-)

Maybe that's the answer, as he never uses it, the earth and leaves I put in
get dry.

Hmm, whether I want to keep dampening a litterbox every few days given that
he has only used the bath 4 times in 10 years is debatable. I probably
would if he did it every night but is only when his bm's are loose so he
can't wait.

I don't think it's anything to do with the lb being plastic but I
appreciate your suggestions.

Tweed

Old October 17th 13, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

It's a good point about the leaves being too dry. It is unusual for the
ground to be totally dry here.

Sootie only uses her litter tray when she's desperate. she used it today
while we were out and if she does that then it's always very loose.

It might be interesting to see what he would do with an empty box.

Judith

Of course he isn't going to use an empty box. No cat would.
Tweed

Old October 17th 13, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
Is your bath a metal one? If so and as he does prefer the bath, maybe a
big metal roasting tin would tempt him.

No, it's plastic.

Perhaps he does like anything in
the tray such as litter or earth. Just a couple of thoughts.

Sorry, what do you mean?

Tweed

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

A plastic bath throws my first idea.

I actually meant that perhaps he doesn't like anything in the tray such as
litter or earth. After a day on the computer at work you'd think my
fingers would type what my brain is thinking.

Judith

As I said upthread, he's only done it 4 times in 10 years, and it is always
when he is loose in the bowels department. It's not a problem to clean it
up in the bath. Take toilet paper, grab the poo, flush it down the nearby
toilet, clean the bath. Simples ;-)

Tweed

Old October 18th 13, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Cheryl" wrote in message
eb.com...
Does the poo look normal, and not hard or compact as in being constipated?

It's loose and that's why he can't wait. I wouldn't call it diarrhoea.
He seems fine now

Old October 18th 13, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:
[...]

You never know with cats.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Right. I've learned that there are four things a smart person never says:

Cats like ...
Cats don't like ...
Cats will never ...
Cats always ...

If one knows a specific cat well, it might be safe to make such a statement
about that particular cat. However, they can still prove you wrong.

Joy

Old October 19th 13, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
"Judith Latham" wrote in message
spam.invalid...

Websell
wrote:
"Judith Latham" wrote in message

It's a good point about the leaves being too dry. It is unusual for
the ground to be totally dry here.

Sootie only uses her litter tray when she's desperate. she used it
today while we were out and if she does that then it's always very
loose.

It might be interesting to see what he would do with an empty box.

Judith

Of course he isn't going to use an empty box. No cat would. Tweed

You never know with cats.

Judith

If one knows a specific cat well, it might be safe to make such a
statement about that particular cat. However, they can still prove you
wrong.

Joy

It would seem to me that if Boyfie would use a plastic litterbox with no
litter of any kind in, he wouldn't have bothered to jump into the (plastic)
bath - more much effort required :-)

I do think I know him quite well but I am always prepared for him to
surprise me, after all he's a cat!

Tweed

Old October 19th 13, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

[...]

I agree. It's just curious.

Judith

I might never know why. I could understand if he'd been feral since birth
but he hasn't.

He must have been around 8-9 months old when I got him, classic case of not
being neutered and starting to wander miles after the girls, getting outside
his own area, being very lost and hungry.
He's quite a lucky cat, I didn't want him when KFC brought him, but you
cannot help but fall in love with him. He is so gentle. Anyway here he
still is, with his own bedroom :-)

Tweed

Old October 19th 13, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Judith Latham wrote:

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
Is your bath a metal one? If so and as he does prefer the bath, maybe a
big metal roasting tin would tempt him.

No, it's plastic.

Perhaps he does like anything in
the tray such as litter or earth. Just a couple of thoughts.

Sorry, what do you mean?

Tweed

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

A plastic bath throws my first idea.

I actually meant that perhaps he doesn't like anything in the tray such as
litter or earth. After a day on the computer at work you'd think my
fingers would type what my brain is thinking.

Maybe your fingers are tired of it after doing it all day.

I've never seen a plastic bathtub - I'm not sure we have those in the
US. I've never seen a metal one, either. All the bathtubs I've ever seen
are made of porcelain.

--
Joyce

The problem with cats is that they get the exact same look on their
face whether they see a moth or an axe-murderer.
-- Paula Poundstone
Old October 19th 13, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:
[...]

Why not? He uses an empty bath (tub). Although if you left the litterbox
empty and he started to use that instead of the tub, what would be the
advantage for you? It would be just as much trouble for you to clean
either way.