Snap!

Old January 29th 14, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Snap!

I was playing with the kitties today, spanking them with their loofa dogs
and dangling cat charmers at them.

Although one of the loofa dogs has metallic thread embroidered into it to
discharge static, they were still building up a significant charge by
rolling around.

Dot went up to Spicey to touch noses with her, as she often does. But this
time, there was a sharp little SNAP as a tiny spark passed between them.

Spicey huffed and pushed Dot's face away. "Your nose bit my nose!" she
seemed to say.

I tried to play with them more today, as I'd been feeling guilty lately due
to playing a recorder that I'd gotten for Christmas, which they dislike -
well, not so much Dot, since she's deaf.
Old January 29th 14, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Takayuki wrote:

I was playing with the kitties today, spanking them with their loofa dogs
and dangling cat charmers at them.

Although one of the loofa dogs has metallic thread embroidered into it to
discharge static, they were still building up a significant charge by
rolling around.

Dot went up to Spicey to touch noses with her, as she often does. But this
time, there was a sharp little SNAP as a tiny spark passed between them.

Spicey huffed and pushed Dot's face away. "Your nose bit my nose!" she
seemed to say.

Some cats also don't seem to understand that it's not my choice to give them
the occasional shock during dry weather. I just don't understand why they
would be unfamiliar with static electricity and its properties. Much of the
life on earth has had to deal with it. It's been around for a while!

That said, Licky is awfully cute when he wants to give me a nose rub but is
apprehensive because he recently got a shock doing that. He starts to move
his face forward toward my face, but then stops. He doesn't look mad at me,
just cautious. So maybe he knows I'm not causing it, and he just wants to
avoid a shock. Other cats I've had in the past seemed to hold it against me.

--
Joyce

Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker
Old January 30th 14, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Joyce wrote:
Some cats also don't seem to understand that it's not my choice to give them
the occasional shock during dry weather. I just don't understand why they
would be unfamiliar with static electricity and its properties. Much of the
life on earth has had to deal with it. It's been around for a while!

I don't think I've ever experienced that on touching a cat in Scotland -
maybe in some hot dry place like south-east Turkey?

Aren't you in the Bay Area? I thought that was even damper than Scotland,
albeit warmer.

Old January 31st 14, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Jack Campin wrote:

Joyce wrote:
Some cats also don't seem to understand that it's not my choice to give them
the occasional shock during dry weather. I just don't understand why they
would be unfamiliar with static electricity and its properties. Much of the
life on earth has had to deal with it. It's been around for a while!

I don't think I've ever experienced that on touching a cat in Scotland -
maybe in some hot dry place like south-east Turkey?

Aren't you in the Bay Area? I thought that was even damper than Scotland,
albeit warmer.

I don't know how it compares to Scotland - which I assume has a maritime
climate and is therefore foggy - but the Bay Area is generally considered
to be "semi-arid." San Francisco proper gets fogged in because it's right
on the ocean, but summertime is the most foggy time of year, not winter. I
live on the east side of the bay, though, so it doesn't get a lot of fog.

This year, our climate is leaning more toward just plain arid. If we don't
get a whole lot of rain in the next few months, we'll be in a drought. This
isn't unusual for Northern California - there have been a couple of droughts
since I moved here in 1992. So climate change might be implicated, but it's
also something that just happens around here.

--
Joyce

What business is it of the state how consenting adults choose to pair
off, share expenses and eventually stop having sex with each other?
-- Bill Maher
Old February 2nd 14, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I tried to play with them more today, as I'd been feeling guilty lately due
to playing a recorder that I'd gotten for Christmas, which they dislike -
well, not so much Dot, since she's deaf.

None of our lot have ever minded the recorder, and Chloe rolls
over my feet in ecstasy when I play the sopranino or garklein.

Muriel used to detest the clarinet (either me or off a CD) until
late in her life. Then she went deaf enough that I could blow
a tenor sax in her ear and she'd sleep through it.

Old February 2nd 14, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 00:03:49 +0000, Jack Campin
wrote:
I tried to play with them more today, as I'd been feeling guilty lately due
to playing a recorder that I'd gotten for Christmas, which they dislike -
well, not so much Dot, since she's deaf.

None of our lot have ever minded the recorder, and Chloe rolls
over my feet in ecstasy when I play the sopranino or garklein.

Muriel used to detest the clarinet (either me or off a CD) until
late in her life. Then she went deaf enough that I could blow
a tenor sax in her ear and she'd sleep through it.

I wish mine would tolerate it. Buster in particular hates it.

I think it's a sweet and mellow instrument, an alto, and a local product
made by a craftsman here in Massachusetts.
Old February 21st 14, 10:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matsav

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
I tried to play with them more today, as I'd been feeling guilty lately
due
to playing a recorder that I'd gotten for Christmas, which they dislike -
well, not so much Dot, since she's deaf.

None of our lot have ever minded the recorder, and Chloe rolls
over my feet in ecstasy when I play the sopranino or garklein.

Muriel used to detest the clarinet (either me or off a CD) until
late in her life. Then she went deaf enough that I could blow
a tenor sax in her ear and she'd sleep through it.

Tabs (RB) didn't mind me playing my trumpet - except for one "bugle call" -
The Last Post. He'd loudly meow in a melancholy way whenever I played that
tune. No other combination of notes produced the same reaction. The opening
note on its own? No reaction. The second note on its own? Ditto. Put the two
together, with the expected duration and dynamics, and he'd cry.

--
MatSav

Old February 22nd 14, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Matsav wrote:

[...]

I don't know that call - what is it used for?

Old February 22nd 14, 04:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 01:49:15 +0000, Bastette wrote:

Matsav wrote:

[...]

According to Wikipedia, it is used in British Army camps to signal the
end of the day, but it is also used at military funerals and in
Remembrance Day ceremonies. In the USA, the "Taps" call is used in a
similar manner.
Old February 22nd 14, 08:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matsav

Matsav wrote:

[...]

Indeed - they are the same tune.

--