(OT) Do Not Call Registry Violator

Old August 9th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) Do Not Call Registry Violator

hopitus wrote:
On Aug 9, 4:03 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Oh, I forgot about the SC State Troopers. Apparently they made
contributions to them in years past and those people are
unbelievably pushy! They invariably start off with a sob story
about a trooper killed in the line of duty leaving a wife and two
kids who need our help... they'll put us down for $100, okay? Um,
no, it's not okay. $50? How about $25? I've
given up trying to be polite.

Jill- Hide quoted text -

Not to argue, Jill, but we gave minimal support to Florida State
Troopers and
Police Benevolent Assn for years...and not no $100 or $50 either....it
is kinda
common knowledge where I lived that one of their annual stickers on
your
back bumper - right or wrong - would guarantee you'd have to do
something
pretty awful to even get stopped for traffic violations especially on
the Interstates.

Also not to argue! but I'd have to drive a long way to get to an Interstate
and I avoid them anyway Neither my mother nor I have ever had a speeding
ticket; where's the benefit in having a bumper sticker? There aren't any
state troopers patrolling around here anyway. Towards Savannah and
Charleston, sure... we don't go there. Besides, you know the saying, you
catch more flies with honey? I might be amenable if they didn't inform me
they were putting us down for $100 and then act like I'm negotiating when I
say no. The fastest way to get me *not* to do something is to tell me I
have to. I'm stubborn that way

Jill

Old August 10th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

jmcquown wrote:
(A minor rant) Early this year I had Mom's number added to the
National Do Not Call Registry. She was getting a ridiculous number
of telemarketing calls. And yes, I verified her phone number was
added to the list. The calls virtually disappeared.

Except for SunCom Wireless. Now, I understand companies you have done
business with in the past 18 months (or are actively doing business
with) can contact you about special offers, etc. And some
organizations are exempt. But a cell phone company isn't one of
them. And she's never, ever, done business with SunCom Wireless.

This afternoon I got the THIRD telemarketing call in as many weeks
from SunCom. Each time I have pointed out the number is on the Do
Not Call Registry and told them not to call again. Each time, it's
been ignored. In fact, the second time I got the call and said this,
the man said, "But do you have a cell phone?" You're missing the
point, pal. Or rather, intentionally ignoring it.

Third time is the charm. I filed a complaint about them on the Do
Not Call Registry web site. I don't know if it will do any good but
dammit this just ****es me off!

Jill

I keep getting calls about a warranty for our car. I have been telling them
that I'm on the "Do Not Call List", I've asked them repeatedly to take me
off, but I continue to get calls. I've about had it. I've gotten at least,
and I'm not kidding, about 20 phone calls this past year from them.

kili

Old August 10th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

We have a 'do no call' list her ein Australia too.

Its Useless.

First of all, charities, political parties and anyone you've had a business
dealing with in the last 2 years is exempt.

But if htat wasn't enough, all the teleco's (and other companies) hire
contractors in India to do their telemarketing, the 'do not call' register
cannot be enforced outside Australia. You could put in a complaint about the
parent company they are calling on behalf of, but it doesn't do much good.

I have found myself saying "no, I don't care if sick kids die" and such. I
should learn just to hang up, but like slamming doors into people's faces
and and other 'rude' actions, I find myself virtually unable to do it.

Yowie

Old August 10th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 9, 4:05�pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

I hope it does some good. Once in a while I get telemarketers, not
nearly as often
as we used to before the registry.
What is irking me now, is the number of political calls, which I
understand are exempt from
the registry. I know it's not that big a deal to answer the phone, but
to me it's a real invasion.
I'll rant right along with you, anytime, on this subject.

Sherry
Old August 10th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

kilikini wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I loved the one where they said the warranty on my 2005 Honda was about to
expire. I have never owned a Honda. Did you tell them not to call?!

Jill

Old August 10th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

jmcquown wrote:
kilikini wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Repeatedly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! They still
call!!!!!!!!!

We've told them that we own a 1945 something-or-other, so there's no
warranty and they still call. We've asked to be taken off their list each
time. They still call. We're almost ready to change our number, but, gosh,
why should we have to?

kili

Old August 10th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Yowie" wrote in

I have found myself saying "no, I don't care if sick kids die" and
such. I should learn just to hang up, but like slamming doors into
people's faces and and other 'rude' actions, I find myself virtually
unable to do it.

Yowie

You need to get over it and realize it is the caller who is rude. All you
need to to is hang up without saying a word otherwise they are manipulating
you (talk about rude) and you are allowing it.

Old August 10th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Sherry wrote in
:

[...]

If I don't recognize the caller I don't answer the phone. That is what
voicemail/answering machines are for. No one has the right to violate my
privacy.

Old August 10th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Yowie" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

Like you, I can't just hang up. My technique is to let them talk until they
ask how much they can put me down for, or whatever. Then I say, "I'm sorry.
I'm not able to help." Then I hang up before they have a chance to reply.

Joy

Old August 10th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 15:03:02 -0700, hopitus wrote:

description of predatory home-repair scams

My father fell victim to one of these scammers when he was in his late
70's. Under a long-standing agreement with the company that he rented
his house from, he paid below-market rent in return for handling basic
home repairs himself. A fast-talking itinerant house-painter persuaded
him to hire this man and his crew to paint the house. My father paid the
full $500 up front, as opposed to the usual half-ahead-of-time and half-
when-completed. They painted just one wall of the house, in a different
color than agreed upon and with a layer of paint so thinned-down that you
could still see the former color through the new layer, then
disappeared. I tried to get my father to prosecute, but, he was so
embarrassed at having been cheated, that he refused to press charges.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

The Call Marina Cat anecdotes 12 January 2nd 06 03:44 AM
Does your cat come when you call it? John Doe Cat health & behaviour 21 November 16th 05 11:54 AM
National Emergency Animal Registry teckpam Cats - misc 0 October 19th 05 04:27 AM
National Emergency Animal Registry teckpam Cat community 0 October 19th 05 04:27 AM
What do you call?? Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 22 April 4th 04 04:57 AM