To post or not...so many people:)

Old September 16th 03, 05:41 AM
Brad Snow

Default To post or not...so many people:)

Several years ago a man whom I held highly tipped me to this group. A
very smart, helpful guy for occasional pc probs. I see a couple of
names from back then, ranging from his in Chi to NZ

Anyway, I want to know whether I'm being mean to Bert. Bert, who was
named Bertha when he adopted me at my window, before the vet explained
the difference He's about 8-9 now, based on the vet's orig est of
4-5. I'm in a small apt, a studio. Bert's a love. Dynamite cat. I'd
post a pic, except assume not wanted here, and too many posters to
allow it anyway, and a good pic of a black cat is impossible.

And an outdoor cat - perfect suburban neighborhood. Just an occasional
partial remain to pick off the doormat in the morning (he's nearly
always in by bedtime, not out all night)

But I have a lady that I visit. Of course I leave food and water. And
Bert meows when I return and is glad to get back out. And except for
occasionally appearing ****ed, is generally affectionate (he's always
affectionate) on my return.

I don't worry about 2 nights out, but sometimes it's 3. What do you
think? 3's been my max.

Can't take him with me. Connie worries about her sofas, and Bert and
her dog are, at best, tolerant.

Brad
Old September 16th 03, 07:18 AM
Hopitus2

Since you solicited advice re this situation: mine is for you to limit
Bert's "alone" nights to no more than 2, and if a 3rd arises, for the lady
friend to leave the dog alone at *her* cherished abode for that night, and
to visit *you* and Bert for a change. You are too accomodating to her and
the dog for Bert's continued welfare.......

:

Old September 16th 03, 07:25 AM
Jo Firey

Do you have a garage? An automatic door on it? In our neighborhood we leave them up
about a foot so the cats can get food and water and shelter. We board the cats if
we're gone long, but sometimes just can't get them to come in for bed. You want the
door low enough that an eight year old kid can't roll under it. So the cat has to
duck a little bit.

--
Jo Firey

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take
our breath away."

Old September 16th 03, 09:14 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 04:41:58 GMT, Brad Snow
wrote:

[...]

Why don't you marry the gal and then you could (legally) all live
happily everafter?
Old September 16th 03, 10:18 PM
Pat

Several possibilities come to mind:

1.) a cat flap in your back door;
2.) a feline companion for Bert;
3.) leave two litter boxes for him and plenty of toys, and leave him inside;
4.) have someone you trust come visit him every day you're gone.

Old September 17th 03, 04:53 AM
LOL

Brad Snow wrote in message . ..
[...]

You say he's "glad to get back out" - do you leave him inside? Though
he probably doesn't enjoy it, I wouldn't say it's *mean*. Lots of
people in this situation do have someone come in once or twice a day
to check on things, give fresh food and water, scoop litterboxes, etc.
I certainly wouldn't leave him outside for that long, as there are
too many things that could happen to him, and you would have no way of
knowing about it for possibly 2 or 3 days.

This is just my opinion, of course. I do hope you can come up with a
solution that works for you and Bert.

------
Krista

Abandoned Kitten - Day 2: Weeble Poops!!! Cathy Friedmann Cat anecdotes 17 August 28th 03 06:16 PM
Top Posting bunny_baby Cat anecdotes 13 August 25th 03 08:38 PM
Shirley bithcy post Sherry Cat anecdotes 8 August 24th 03 12:11 AM
Otis - LONG - reflections on finding him polonca12000 Cat anecdotes 2 August 12th 03 08:08 PM