New Fancy Feast

Old July 20th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy

Default New Fancy Feast

Has anyone tried the new Fancy Feast "Elegant Medley" yet? There are
several flavors - but the are 89 cents for a small can!!! I bought one
today and my boy liked it.

Old July 20th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Buddy wrote:
Has anyone tried the new Fancy Feast "Elegant Medley" yet? There are
several flavors - but the are 89 cents for a small can!!! I bought one
today and my boy liked it.

People really love McDonald's - loving food does not equate always with
what's good on a daily basis.

My own experience with Fancy Feast has been rather negative on the
whole. Purina seems more intent on advertising ploys, fonts and what
not, instead of making available exactly what is the analysis of the
food inside.

My main "beef" with them is the rather high to intolerably high
phosphorus levels. This is akin to humans and McDonald's and the sky
high fat and salt contents of those junk foods.

I'm concerned that high phosphorus level may shorten the life of the
cat in the long run. And may be why most cats die around 15 years of
age and die of renal failure.

I prefer moderate phosphorus levels of less than 0.80% on a dry matter
basis. That is 0.80% not "as fed" or "guaranteed" but a "dry matter
basis."

Try getting that information out of Purina / Nestle who make Fancy
Feasts.
It's like pulling teeth and it's not updated so it's not really tracked
that I can determine. In any case, out of the 60 varieties or so, there
are only 2 that I would buy for my cat, Marinated Morsels, Chicken or
Salmon, in Gravy. The other 58 types, give or take a few, they keep
adding and subtracting, I consider expensive garbage. But ubiquitous
garbage, like McDonald's. Clean garbage. Packaged prettily garbage but
garbage for the most part, in my opinion.

Any opinions?

Old July 20th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

" wrote:

My main "beef" with them is the rather high to intolerably high
phosphorus levels. This is akin to humans and McDonald's and the sky
high fat and salt contents of those junk foods.

You seem to have this backwards from the many posts I have seen on
this NG regarding dry matter analysis. Several flavors have very good
phosphorous levels. Some flavors, I agree aren't that good, but some
are excellent. However I do think the protein levels are little too
high for my 16 year old. He's now on MediCal Reduced Protein (renal
diet).

-mhd
Old July 20th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

wrote:
My own experience with Fancy Feast has been rather negative on the
whole. Purina seems more intent on advertising ploys, fonts and what
not, instead of making available exactly what is the analysis of the
food inside.

Don't you think you're just a tad obsessed about this? Do you really
believe the numbers you read are the actual numbers? Do you really
trust these companies? If I were you, and so concerned with the exact
content of a can of catfood, I would make your own. That way you know
exactly what's in it. You could even send off a sample to have it
analyzed to make sure you have the right proportions.

My main "beef" with them is the rather high to intolerably high
phosphorus levels. This is akin to humans and McDonald's and the sky
high fat and salt contents of those junk foods.

Now hasn't Phil P posted the particular FF flavors that are okay in the
phos department?

I'm concerned that high phosphorus level may shorten the life of the
cat in the long run. And may be why most cats die around 15 years of
age and die of renal failure.

Phos levels are important, but so is the whole picture. You need to
concentrate not only on phos, but all nutrients of a food, and that
would include the ingredients and where they come from. Do they come
from synthetic vitamins, or is the food naturally nutritious? Are the
ingredients bioavailable to a carnivore? Do they promote health, etc.?
Well, you get the picture.

I prefer moderate phosphorus levels of less than 0.80% on a dry matter
basis. That is 0.80% not "as fed" or "guaranteed" but a "dry matter
basis."

Try getting that information out of Purina / Nestle who make Fancy
Feasts.
It's like pulling teeth and it's not updated so it's not really tracked
that I can determine.

I've never had a problem getting the info from Purina and other
companies shrug

Any opinions?

see above

Old July 20th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy

I have fed my cats Fancy Feast exclusively for over 20 years. My last
cat was 20 years and 3 months and never had any type of renal problems.
My original question was in regard to the new Elegant Medely from
Fancy Feast - not to go over all the numbers, etc. AGAIN!

Old July 20th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Now I am one that can vouch that fancy feast has made a difference in my
cat. My Rumble was diagnosed diabetic less than a month ago. I had to
start giving him a shot of insulin twice a day. I changed him over to a
diet of Fancy Feast as suggested by Phil and MaryL. Also they have the
most varieties that have gravy and over all numbers had the closest for
cards with the most variety of gravy products. The diet change brought
Rumble down from a 437 glucose level to 215 in the first week than we
did 2 glucose curve the lowest was 73 and the highest was 143. SO the
diet change got him off the insulin shots and now he is a happy kitty.

I did get all three varieties of the medley the turkey one interested
Rumble the most but the other 2 variety of chicken ones he turned his
nose up at but Ka'Shay are Hemingway kitten tore it up. But .89 cents
for it I pay .40 a can for Fancy feast at Albertsons and the new variety
was $.47; around here they carry the most variety.

Old July 20th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

wrote:
" wrote:

My main "beef" with them is the rather high to intolerably high
phosphorus levels. This is akin to humans and McDonald's and the sky
high fat and salt contents of those junk foods.

You seem to have this backwards from the many posts I have seen on
this NG regarding dry matter analysis. Several flavors have very good
phosphorous levels. Some flavors, I agree aren't that good, but some
are excellent. However I do think the protein levels are little too
high for my 16 year old. He's now on MediCal Reduced Protein (renal
diet).

-mhd

Would you care to explain? How do I have it backwards? Dry matter basis
is the only way to compare foods across the board. Are you sure that
you do not have it "backwards?" We always stress that dry matter basis
is the only way to go. Do not go by As Fed and do not go by Guaranteed.
If you do by As Fed, you convert to dry matter basis by dividing with
the non-moisture content as a whole. This is easy to find because in
the case of FF, it's usually 78% moisture, consequently, 22%
non-moisture.

And I'll stand behind what I said, of the 60 types of FF, only 2 meet
my specifications. If you go by Phil P.'s recommendations, you can go
up to 4 or 5.

So it's not several as much as a very few, around 7% that are low in
phosphorus. Of all the brands I see in the supermarkets, I find only 2
of these 4 or 5 at any one time, so the odds of picking up high
phosphorus is too high.

Old July 21st 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Treeline I don't know your first name so I have to go by your display
MaryL gave me this link you may find it useful if you need a reference
for levels in cat foods
http://www.felinediabetes.com/cat_fo...ion_canned.htm

This is how I made my final decision on using Fancy Feast for Rumble new
diabetic diet

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old July 21st 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

PawsForThought wrote:
wrote:
My own experience with Fancy Feast has been rather negative on the
whole. Purina seems more intent on advertising ploys, fonts and what
not, instead of making available exactly what is the analysis of the
food inside.

Don't you think you're just a tad obsessed about this? Do you really
believe the numbers you read are the actual numbers? Do you really
trust these companies? If I were you, and so concerned with the exact
content of a can of catfood, I would make your own. That way you know
exactly what's in it. You could even send off a sample to have it
analyzed to make sure you have the right proportions.

I don't trust the companies, especially Purina / Nestle which is very
difficult to get these numbers and the numbers do change as they change
their products. It's not impossible but it takes me many months for
them to finally fess up on all the products.

About being obsessed? I am concerned about the cats and unfortunately
tracking down facts is not a popular item in America, now is it? I
seriously think the majority of cat foods are doing in the cats in the
long. Having high phosphorus for a cat is like having high bad fats for
a human. It gets you in the long run.

My main "beef" with them is the rather high to intolerably high
phosphorus levels. This is akin to humans and McDonald's and the sky
high fat and salt contents of those junk foods.

Now hasn't Phil P posted the particular FF flavors that are okay in the
phos department?

About 5 out of 60 and I have never seen those 5 at any one time in any
supermarket. So that means 55 out of 60 are not okay.

[...]

Okay, then post here the phosphorus levels that you are finding? It
took me well over 3 months to get the phosphorus levels for their new
Healthy Weight Management Formula. Those levels were twice what I had
originally been told.

You do have problems getting this info from Purina. Go ahead. Did I not
have this discussion with you previously and challenged you to provide
the phosphorus levels? I won't even go in to pH levels. Someone said
the same thing you just did. I don't have trouble getting info... But I
am not talking generic info like how much fats. I am talking info that
is not on their web site and is not even on their VET web site which is
appalling.

I doubt very, very strongly that Purina puts all that much effort in
producing the same phosphorus levels from month to month and batch to
batch. I just don't think they care and the reason is that you don't
care enough to bug them about it.

So do something. Okay? I won't wish to appear "obsessive" so why don't
you get them to be a little more upfront on what is exactly in their
food?

In the meantime, I will try gather the research about high phosphorus.

http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm

the above is a simple start on phosphorus and foods. It's not technical
and just lists foods and a link for the update to this year.

Old July 21st 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Buddy wrote:
I have fed my cats Fancy Feast exclusively for over 20 years. My last
cat was 20 years and 3 months and never had any type of renal problems.
My original question was in regard to the new Elegant Medely from
Fancy Feast - not to go over all the numbers, etc. AGAIN!

What numbers? Give me some numbers. There are no numbers to go over and
I am not calling Purina and waiting three months as the last time for
the phosphorus level of their Healthy Weight Management Forumla.

I was in a focus group that discussed this before Purina ever dumped it
on the market. You say your cat never had any problems in 20 years and
fed exclusively Fancy Feast.

Okay. How do I know that you do not work for Purina's Marketing
Department?

I am skeptical and I do not believe you. But if you have a few seconds,
enlighten me. I am talking generally. I have seen a cat live over 21
years fed dry food garbage. Sure there exists exceptions. And they are
the exceptions.