Kitty Flu

Old March 13th 09, 01:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Kitty Flu

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:00:15 -0400, "Matthew"
wrote:

"Cazz A"

I want you to read something and pay close attention to it. You should seek
proper veterinary advice or treatment when your cat or kitten becomes ill

Your vet will discuss this with you at your visit

I guess my cats have never had the Cat Flu. Once in a great while one
seems like it has a cold and off to the vet they go, but nothing like
that Flu. Still, outside of the cat version of cough medicine there
doesn't seem to be all that much you can do once they get it.

The last time one got a cold I called the vet and he said that if it
got worse to bring him in but otherwise he'd be fine, and fine he was.
But he was still playing and seemed normal except for the sneezing and
slight mucous.

It's sometimes a tough call on whether to take them to the vet. I hate
paying the money, but the bigger part is that the cats really get
stressed. Usually I call the vet and ask what I should do.
Old March 13th 09, 01:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cazz A

Thanks Matthew, that was very useful.

Swab eye and nose discharges with salt water (one teaspoon of salt to one
pint of water)

I've been using warmed water on a cotton bud from my first aid kit. How
much water's in a pint? Sorry, in Australia, everything's metric!

Try to keep the room well ventilated and not stuffy (you may even want to
place a bowl of steamy water near them to try and help them breath, but
never leave your cat alone with hot water)

I didn't think of the bowl, Lu joined me in the bathroom for a shower(I
left him curled under a towel, but he decided to save me from the awful
wet stuff!

Provide very smelly foods like pilchards because they may have a reduced
sense of smell, and cut them up into small pieces

I give them tinned 'Seafood Delight' food. It doesn't have all the sick
kitties need, but because the flu's not permanent, I don't think it
matters, does it?

A little cream or ice cream may also tempt them to eat, as it may sooth sore
throats.

Would cat milk(the lactose free stuff) accomplish the same goal?

Keep the environment quiet and stress free
Prevent cat Flu in the first place

This bit I really don't understand. Is there any real way to prevent it?
Aren't their viruses like humans, a fact of life? If I have a carrier of
this flu and all my cats have it, wouldn't the non carriers be immune to
catching it again until it mutates and some other cat brings the mutated
virus back to my colony?

Once a cat has cat flu they may become a carrier of the disease which may
either make them sick again in the future even if they have not come in to
contact with another sick cat, or they may infect other cats.
This is one of the main reasons for having your healthy cat vaccinated
against the disease, as you can never be sure which cats they come into
contact with, you may even inadvertently spread the disease yourself by
stroking a seemingly healthy cat who may be carrying the illness.

Isn't it impossible to vaccinate against a virus? All vaccinations do is
stop the virus from being fatal, that doesn't stop a secondary infection
from killing the cat.

The vaccine for cat flu can be given either separately or as a combined
vaccine for other infectious diseases.

Your vet will discuss this with you at your visit

Old March 13th 09, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dejablues[_4_]

"Cazz A" wrote in message
[...]

Is there a proper name for this illness? "Cat flu" probably not very
accurate.

Old March 13th 09, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dejablues[_4_]

"Cazz A" wrote in message
u...
Isn't it impossible to vaccinate against a virus? All vaccinations do is
stop the virus from being fatal, that doesn't stop a secondary infection
from killing the cat.

Have you been vaccinated for polio, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella,
hepatitis? These are all caused by viruses and they are prevented by
vaccines. You have the vaccine, you do not get the disease, except in rare
instances. Cats get vaccines for FeLV , calcivirus, rabies, and
panleukopenia, which are all caused by viruses.
Good hygiene prevents secondary bacterial infections, and good care prevents
them from being fatal.

Old March 13th 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote

It's sometimes a tough call on whether to take them to the vet. I hate
paying the money, but the bigger part is that the cats really get
stressed. Usually I call the vet and ask what I should do.

What is it, $40 max for an exam and medicine? One reason for erring on the
side of taking the cats in too often is that when they feel bad, or cannot
smell well due to congestion, they can stop eating and get into trouble
really fast.

Anybody here who aids and abets the morons like Cazz A who come in here
asking for ways to make themselves feel better about denying their cats the
health care they need are just as bad as the morons.

Old March 13th 09, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dejablues" wrote
Is there a proper name for this illness? "Cat flu" probably not very
accurate.

This stupid bitch is talking about an upper respiratory infection, the kind
that can kill cats in no time if they stop eating.

Old March 13th 09, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dejablues" wrote in message

"Cazz A" wrote in message
u...
Isn't it impossible to vaccinate against a virus? All vaccinations do is
stop the virus from being fatal, that doesn't stop a secondary infection
from killing the cat.

Have you been vaccinated for polio, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella,
hepatitis? These are all caused by viruses and they are prevented by
vaccines. You have the vaccine, you do not get the disease, except in rare
instances. Cats get vaccines for FeLV , calcivirus, rabies, and
panleukopenia, which are all caused by viruses.
Good hygiene prevents secondary bacterial infections, and good care
prevents them from being fatal.

She has 11 cats. What's a dead one here or there? There are plenty more
where that one came from. They always find dead animals and really sick
animals among the population of hoarders, if only because they don't have
the sense to only take on the number of animals they can properly care for.
Cazz is patting herself on the back for coming in here and asking, that's
real love, you know. Half those cats, at least, should be rehomed.

Old March 13th 09, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"cybercat" wrote
"dejablues" wrote

Is there a proper name for this illness? "Cat flu" probably not very
accurate.

This stupid bitch is talking about an upper respiratory infection, the
kind that can kill cats in no time if they stop eating.

Dropping the name calling, yes you may well be right. The worst thing is 11
cats in one house. There is a time when a sensible person says 'sure the
cat is cute but I cant afford the medical bills for another' so stop
adopting more.

My daughter wants to add another cat to our existing 1 cat and 1 dog home.
I told her no and reminded her not only of finances to pay for care if the
cat got sick, but the conversation when we adopted Daisy-cat. Daisy is not
emotionally suited to living with other cats. It's well on record from 5
different temp homes when they were trying to find her a final one.

In a multi-cat home she hides, sulks, acts up (including litter issues),
scratches, and occasionally attacks the other cats unless they are extremely
submissive to her. Thats why she had 5 temp homes in 18 months and not one
offer of adoption.

Now Dogs? She loves them. Weird cat (grin). Kids (2 foot types) hates'em
except can tolerate the older ones and loves Charlotte.

Yes, I can afford their medical bills. It's tight but not that tight. I
did shift Daisy's flea stuff though to Frontline which was 1/2 the cost of
the other stuff.

Old March 13th 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dejablues[_4_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"dejablues" wrote in message

"Cazz A" wrote in message
u...
[...]

Ugh. I troll Petfinder.com, and there are several cage-free rescue groups in
my area that put forth the statement that if you adopt one of their cats,
you will have to agree treat them for Feline Upper Respiratory Disease :
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18639946
If there are a lot of cats on one place, there will be URTD.

The OP needs to stop calling it "kitty flu", treat the cats properly or
rehome them if he/she cannot, and stop bringing new cats into the
environment.

Old March 14th 09, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cazz A

cybercat wrote:
"dejablues" wrote in message
"Cazz A" wrote in message
u...
[...]

You know what? Lu had a home before this crap with the RSPCA started. NO
cat is released from my house without at least being desexed. Roma has
a potential home since last night, an answer to one of my 4 adverts. Lu
will be desexed in 4 weeks, that's the first appointment I could get for
him(I had to wait 6 weeks for the other desexings).

I have talked to a vet(not my usual) who does housecalls, she'll be here
tomorrow.

No, actually I'm not patting myself on the back. I came here looking for
people who'd been through this before and could add their perspective to
my vet's diagnosis and prescription, but all you do is throw insults at me.