Odessa in hospital :-( (long)

Old September 22nd 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

Default Odessa in hospital :-( (long)

"Baha via CatKB.com" u18616@uwe wrote in message news:78993eb0b56a2@uwe...
Yesterday morning we ran our Odessa-Doll to the vet. An all day stay
turned
last night into a transfer to an animal ICU an hour's drive from home.

I wonder if keeping her in a room with a vaporizer going would help her when
she gets home. Or even using the shower to steam up the bathroom with her
in the room. Like you would for a small child with a dry cough.

I have no idea how many nights I've nearly gone to sleep sitting on the
toilet seat lid with steam running down the mirrors. Mostly for the kids
and grandkids, sometimes for the furkids, and sometimes just for me.

Jo

Old September 22nd 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sheelagh >o

On 22 Sep, 14:08, "Baha via CatKB.com" u18616@uwe wrote:
Yesterday morning we ran our Odessa-Doll to the vet. An all day stay turned
last night into a transfer to an animal ICU an hour's drive from home.

Thurday night we got home from work to find Odessa laying on her side like a
downwd horse, coughing like all hell. We could tell there was something stuck
in there. She hadn't eaten all day.We were up all night with her; something
in our guts told us to give fluids the only way we could, with a baby
medicine syringe I got free at some local thing. Thank God and all the saints
for my fondness for free crapola. Our guts also told us to get her somewhat
inverted and pat her around the ribs.

The vet told us this probably saved her; the water helped thin out the horrid
stuff round her throat as well as simply hydrating, and the upside-down
gymnastics were a species of kitty heimlich. We learned she was a whisker
away from choking.

I called my boss and told him damn the numbers I had to call, I had a vet
visit to make and NOW. She was admitted and put into a contained cage where
they pumped oxygen mixed with a nebulised antibiotic, and later in the
afternoon we had to move her to this big veterinary complex in what we call
'the southtowns." We live in "the northtowns" and damn the gas prices at this
point, and damn the traffic laws; Louie blew them all off even as we passed
police cars in cetain localities known for stopping minorities for no good
reason. We weren't stopped, a small miracle. Probably because Louie was
breaking everything in the book. If he'd been Sunday-driving we'd hve been
pulled over for sure. It was a long drive but this hospital is the most state-
of-the-art place for animals in the area and Dolly can't be in better hands.
The shelter where we got her uses the place for their initial exams, and the
most critically injured of their rescues. Odessa is, in effect, in an ICU;
the unofficial diagnosis is pneumonia, brought on by the suppression of her
immunities created by anaesthesia from the dental operation, and subsequent
steroids that allowed the gingival infection to move to the tonsils and
southward. Ballplayers get big biceps, my Dolly gets pneumonia. Some illegal
muscles would have been nice, for Godsake...

We did go to work, at least for a while. Vince, my manager, was glad to see
me but thought I ought to be home. He didn't get that I needed the work,
would have gone nuts with worry. Louie too. When he heard that we needed to
move Odessa he signed out, thining he'd be back around 6. No such luck. We
hung about Orchard Park about 3 hours, waiting on test results and a chance
to visit Dolly before going home. She was already looking better.

God, did we sleep! We watched a Nanny tape to take the edge off, but I don't
remember it. I zonked right the hell out. It helped that I'd been a little
naughty and had taken a drink. I went to work in the afternoon in the midst
of an impromptu office party, for the collectors were celebrating that not
only did everyone "meet goal," they got bonuses all of them. Big ones. And
one of them used his to buy food for the office and a bottle of Hennessey.
Just before leaving for the afternoon, I'd decided to take me a shot, for as
tired as I was from being up all night with Odessa-Doll, I was running on
pure manic nerves. By the time we'd gotten home the shot had worn off but had
done its job. I landed in bed and slept like a rock.

We'll know later what's up, whether we can take Odessa home later or need to
leave her. If we bring her back she needs a good week of sequestering; it'll
depend too on if they can get her to eat. I know she wants too as she had
tried, but Thursday all the pep was out of her.

I warned the vet that Louie and I are absolute pests about knowing out
babies' conditions and will call so much it'll make her crazy.

The purrs have kept her going this far. Please spare a few more to bring our
Odessa-Doll though?

Blessed be,
Baha

Lots of heartfelt Purrs en route
Good Lucky
Sheelagh"o"

Old September 22nd 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Baha via CatKB.com u18616@uwe wrote:

Yesterday morning we ran our Odessa-Doll to the vet. An all day stay turned
last night into a transfer to an animal ICU an hour's drive from home.

[snip]

Oh, the poor little girl! That must have been so terrifying for her,
and for *you*, too, to come home to that.

I thought she had already been diagnosed with pneumonia earlier? Or
am I confusing this story with another one? When I read this, it didn't
sound like news to me.

Sounds like, with an infection like that, she should NOT be on steroids,
so I hope they took her off them!

Many purrs from my gang for her to recover quickly. This sounds so
stressful!

Joyce
Old September 22nd 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Sep 22, 12:07 pm, Marina wrote:
Baha via CatKB.com wrote:
damn the traffic laws; Louie blew them all off even as we passed
police cars in cetain localities known for stopping minorities for no good
reason. We weren't stopped, a small miracle. Probably because Louie was
breaking everything in the book.

Usually, I cannot stand people who disregard traffic laws, but when I
was rushing Nikki to the vet school hospital on an early Sunday morning,
I was immensely grateful to the taxi driver when we came to some red
lights, and he looked about and said, 'there's no one around, we'll just
ignore the lghts this time.' I'd told him I had a very sick kitty in my
carrier. It still brings tears of gratitude to my eyes, though Nikki
didn't survive that day.

Lots of purrs on the way for your Dolly. I really hope she gets better
soon, and can come home to her Meowmie and Paw-paw.

I remember the time when I rushed Rusty to the emergency vet around 5
am in the morning. I couldn't
find my wallet when the taxi arrived at the clinic. The cab driver was
very understanding and said he would just come by later in the day to
collect the fare from me. Turned out I did have my wallet in my
backpack. With Rusty's urinary blockage I was just too upset to find
it.

Winnie

Old September 22nd 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Sep 22, 9:08 am, "Baha via CatKB.com" u18616@uwe wrote:
[...]

Purrs to Odessa and you.

Winnie

Old September 22nd 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sam

Baha via CatKB.com wrote:

The purrs have kept her going this far. Please spare a few more to bring our
Odessa-Doll though?

Blessed be,
Baha

Absolutely. Purrs on the way for Odessa's recovery and for your nerves.

Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old September 22nd 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Baha via CatKB.com" u18616@uwe wrote in message news:78993eb0b56a2@uwe...
The purrs have kept her going this far. Please spare a few more to bring
our
Odessa-Doll though?

How scary that she nearly choked. Lots of purrs coming over the pond for a
speedy recovery.
If your vet provides 24 hour care I would be inclined to leave her there so
they can get a real handle on this infection and so you can get some sleep.
I'll keep her in my thoughts.

Tweed

Old September 23rd 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

[...]

Purrs are on the way.

Joy

Old September 23rd 07, 10:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_2_]

Purrs for her to bounce back and come home soon - and for you and
Louie to get some much needed rest

snipped for length

Old September 23rd 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Baha via CatKB.com wrote:
Baha wrote:
Yesterday morning we ran our Odessa-Doll to the vet. An all day stay turned
last night into a transfer to an animal ICU an hour's drive from home.

We just talked to the Orchard Park vet; Odessa is eating, than k God, an d
apparently with good gusto! They have reported that she's very alert and
respondig well to all treatment, and theythik we can bring her home tomorrow
after some more nebulizing.

Lots of purrs still coming to you, Odessa, and Louie. What an ordeal
and good quick thinking on your part.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Can Odessa have a few more purrs? Baha via CatKB.com Cat anecdotes 17 September 10th 07 10:15 PM
Odessa purrs please! Baha via CatKB.com Cat anecdotes 7 August 19th 07 10:14 PM
Mad Odessa Singh Cat anecdotes 3 June 14th 06 03:44 AM
Odessa, you little brat! Singh Cat anecdotes 10 December 13th 04 03:47 AM
WELCOME ODESSA!!! Singh Cat anecdotes 87 October 20th 04 04:55 AM