New to the group

Old June 4th 09, 10:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default New to the group

"stinky" wrote in message

Hi
I am new to this group, but the name of the group caught my
attention. Stories about cats.

I have one cat named stinky that adopted me about three years ago
after I had to put my little dog to sleep.

He is a big yellow and white male, weighs about 20 pounds and
stretches out so he can reach my counter tops with his paws.
I took him to the vet right after I got him and never again. He had
his head out of the carrier(cardboard) before getting there. Then upon
leaving they put i him in a new carrier and before I paid the bill he
had his head out through the handles . So they put him in another one
and put a collar on him and said that should slow him down,
He then proceeded to meow and make terrible noise, then the smell
began. He dirtied in the box and still managed to get the collar off
and had his head sticking out. He was dirty from tip of tail to head.
Needless to say that was the first and last time he was to the Vet.
He is now a house kitty so I think he will be safe from getting any
diseases.

G'day and welcome.

Stinky sounds like quite a character. Snoopy was much like that and we found
that any and all carriers just didn't work for him. Wrapped sturdily in a
towel and carried was the only way to get him to and from theVet's and thats
how he went. Shmogg always peed in his carrier, always, and Snoopy always
poos the worst most disgusting diarrhea each time. But if they have to go to
the doctor's, off they go. Once you've changed a hoomins nappies (diapers)
for 3 years, a bit of cat excrement is not that bothersome. :-)

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old June 4th 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty

On Jun 3, 11:32*pm, Christine BA wrote:

I think the soft carriers also come in backpack versions, which are
easier to carry, at least to me. Even a heavy load doesn't feel as heavy
in a backpack.

Thanks for letting me know. I went to search on the Web after reading
your posts.
and found Petsmart carries one.
Rusty's carrier has a shoulder strap which I use while I carry it in
both hands.
So it is manageable but a backpack will definitely be better. I carry
a backpack
most of the time anyway.

Winnie

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com- Hide quoted text -

Old June 7th 09, 08:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"stinky" wrote in message
[...]

Welcome to the group! But may I join in with those who are recommending a
different carrier? It is important to have a checkup every year (and as
Stinky gets older, visits may need to be more frequent). A cardboard
carrier is really the worst type. As you have learned, they are flimsy and
will not restrain a cat that really wants out. I suspect that they are also
more frightening to a cat than the carriers with wire or mesh panels. I use
cloth carriers, but I would recommend that you get a plastic "taxi" carrier
(they come in various sizes) because that would be easier to clean if Stinky
has any more "accidents."

Again, welcome to the group.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy (now age approximately 11): http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly (now age 14): http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Duffy in the Christmas tree: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

Old June 7th 09, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Jun 7, 12:26*am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

A cardboard
carrier is really the worst type. *

They're okay for a one way trip Speedy Joe was delievered from Ilford
to our place at the time (Isle of Dogs- yes, I know odd name for a cat
lover to live in!) in a "Pack-a-Pet" and he was fine apart from
letting out so many pathetic wails on the way that someone asked me if
we were taking him to sell for medical experiments or something! My
feeling is another 2 stops and some well meaning "Cat lover" would
have snatched him off of us thinking they were "rescuing" the poor
thing!

The one carrier to never use for cats (I've never seen them for cats
but sometimes they're sold for rabbits and someone might pick one up
by mistake- come to think of it after using one once to take a rabbit
to my first rabbit show, we burned the carrier afterwards and dad made
some wooden one''s which were much better) is a wicker basket.
They're not sealed so when the cat wees (and yes, you can guarantee
the carrier will be in your lap when they do) then the urine runs out
okay the cat may be happy and dry afterwards (Or as happy as any cat
on their way to the vets can be!) but your skirt/pants/car seat will
be soaked- what is it with cats bladders and vets btw? You could
catheterise the cat before leaving so they have not a drop in their
bladder but somehow on the way to the vets a cat's bladder seems to
suddenly turn into some sort of Tardis and be loaded. I've seen Dunzi
and Sarsi use their box just before they got put in the carrier and
it's a short cab ride to the vets but somehow they manage to soak the
carrier

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Try my new group! Ryan Cat health & behaviour 0 March 2nd 06 10:35 PM
New to this group Kerry Cat anecdotes 38 September 4th 05 12:32 AM
This is a CAT group not a CHAT group BuZZard Cat health & behaviour 36 March 12th 05 03:37 AM
To the group [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 12 September 3rd 04 03:28 AM
To The Group Len Albrecht Cat health & behaviour 256 July 4th 04 07:55 AM