do you have a good cat story for me?

Old June 6th 09, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default do you have a good cat story for me?

Joy wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Would you mind if I offered my thoughts?
The only reason weight is put on is that more calories are taken in than
are expended through exercise. It really is that simple. No book is
necessary.

That's true, but look how many weight loss books are out there - and they
sell!

They sell because none of them work, so people are still searching for
the holy grail: *THE* book that will finally give them a diet that works.

The arithmetic of "calories in minus energy expended equals weight
gained" isn't simple - it's oversimplified. Grossly oversimplified. But
that notion definitely makes a whole lot of people very rich. Book after
book, plan after plan, drug after drug, procedure after procedure - the
weight loss industry rakes in about $40 billion US dollars a year. (And
that's a mid-1990s figure. I don't know what it is now, but there's a
lot more barbaric surgery being done these days so it has to be higher.)

And yet, people just keep getting fatter. I don't buy that it's simply
a "lack of willpower". Not when people are willing to *die* in order to
lose weight. After a diet drug, fen-phen, was taken off the market in
the US because too many people developed congestive heart failure and
died while taking it, desperate people bought the stuff illegally from
Mexico. Better dead than fat - but hey, it's all for your *health*, right?

Another sisyphean post from Joyce...

Old June 6th 09, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatCreative" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm writing a book with a veterinary nutritionist about overweight
cats. We are laying out simple, useful steps to help owners enjoy a
healthier, happier life with their kitties.

We are looking for stories of how your cat became obese, how you
managed to get your cat to lose weight, any interesting games or
exercises you do with your cat. We're also wondering if you feel you
indulge your cat and if he/she begs a lot. It can be your story, a
friend's or a story from your childhood. We treat every owner and cat
with due respect. Often cats become overweight after surgery when the
owner is working to help them recover. Neutered cats have a much
higher likelihood of adding pounds. There are a million reasons cats
become obese.

If you can help us make scientific concepts clear by sharing a story
of your cat, we'd be happy to send you a copy of our book.
Thanks again,
Suzanne

Would you mind if I offered my thoughts?
The only reason weight is put on is that more calories are taken in than
are expended through exercise. It really is that simple. No book is
necessary.

Tweed

That's true, but look how many weight loss books are out there - and they
sell!

Yes, lots of books out there to tell you how to do it. Do you know what
they say?
Eat less.

Tweed

Old June 6th 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Joy wrote:

[...]

Yes, they do. Of course it's lack of willpower if people stuff themselves
when they know they are very overweight.
It does not bother me, I was once overweight. now I am not.

Old June 6th 09, 10:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message

And yet, people just keep getting fatter. I don't buy that it's simply
a "lack of willpower"

Yes, they do. Of course it's lack of willpower if people stuff themselves
when they know they are very overweight.
It does not bother me, I was once overweight. now I am not.

One of those books on diet was titled 'Willpower's Not Enough'.

Cheryl
Old June 6th 09, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

And yet, people just keep getting fatter. I don't buy that it's simply
a "lack of willpower"

Yes, they do. Of course it's lack of willpower if people stuff themselves
when they know they are very overweight.

shrug Medical research has shown this not to be the case, many times
over. It has also been shown that fat people as a group do not eat
more than thin people as a group. (I'm not saying anything about how
individuals of any size behave, because that varies.)

It really is a form of bigotry to assume that every fat person you meet
sits around stuffing their face with unhealthy food all day. That
attitude does a lot of harm to people, especially when it's expressed
with the kind of contempt that you are showing here. Really, regardless
of what you believe about how the metabolism works, what is the reason
for your intolerance? Maybe it's time to apply some of that "self-
examination" you were talking about before?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old June 6th 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Joy wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

Would you mind if I offered my thoughts?
The only reason weight is put on is that more calories are taken in
than are expended through exercise. It really is that simple. No
book is necessary.

Tweed

That's true, but look how many weight loss books are out there - and
they sell!

Of course they do. People want a magic method so they can eat as much as
they always have and still lose weight. The book might tell them how to do
it. It won't.
There is only one way to lose weight. Eat less calories than you need.

Or go into hospital and be on "nil by mouth" for a while.

Tweed
]

Old June 7th 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Jun 6, 2:44*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Or go into hospital and be on "nil by mouth" for a while.

My friend, Mick (RB) had appendicitis- unfortunately he had eaten
dinner (remember this is a man who was offered a diet sheet by his
oncologist!) just before the pain started, which made a general
anaesthetic risky for 3 hours also because they needed to make sure he
wasn't getting worse and a pain killer might have masked his symptoms
he couldn't have anagesia. In 3 hours he lost 3 stone through sweat!
He did say he wouldn't recommend the experience to his own worse enemy
through!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old June 7th 09, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Jun 6, 2:34*pm, wrote:

It really is a form of bigotry to assume that every fat person you meet
sits around stuffing their face with unhealthy food all day.

My diet isn't all bad. Breakfast (Main meal of the day) something
like toast, cereal (museli, porridge, or something like that- I
dislike sugary cereals) and low fat yoghurt with a piece of fruit.
Lunch is usually salad or a sandwich. Snacks tend to be things like
unsalted nuts and seeds or dried fruit (Okay I can seriously pig out
on dried apricots!) I don't eat much in the evenings as I'm not
usually hungry through if I am I'll do salad, pasta or a stir fry but
most evenings if I do it'll be something like a couple of crackers
with cheese or some rice cakes. I don't like fried food apart from a
stir fry ever since I had a cold a few years ago and it altered my
sense of smell so that it put me off. I steam most vegetables and
grill meat have red meat once a week with the fat trimmed off. I can't
remember the last time I ate a cream cake the only time I eat cakes is
at work when someone has a birthday. I don;t really eat biscuits
either. I quit coca-cola 18 months ago and rarely drink carbonated
drinks. I'm not a saint I like chocolate as long as it's organic
stuff (70-90% plain is divine) but unlike some people it's a treat not
a food group! And I am partial to the occasional takeaway but I don't
like MacDonalds and Kentucky fried (In fact I don't like fried
chicken). I love jacket potatoes and regard sweet corn and peppers as
essentials along with brocoli and asparagus.

But I'm rather large because I do happen to like a beer or two
although I'm cutting down on that and I've dropped 2 sizes above the
waist and 1 below

I don't think it;s just down to diet through. I for example can go up
4-5 flights of stairs at a brisk pace without getting out of breath
but if you're larger than normal people tend to assume you can't do
things and I suspect some people fall for that- last year I had to go
somewhere and when I got to reception the woman on the desk said "4th
floor " pointing "Lifts just there" and when I said I'd sooner get the
stairs she jumped obviously unhappy about my doing the stairs without
a crash team ready. I dance (did modern dance training when I was
younger) and use that as a basis for a 2-3 times a week workout and I
walk a lot

Where I used to work one of the staff who was not much thinner than me
did the London Marathon spurred on by the promise of a friend that
she'd be at the finishing line with "A packet of gigarette's for you"
- she did in just over 4 hours, which is not a bad time (The best one
is an old friend of Dave's who'd had his birthday on the Friday then
somehow got lured to a real ale festival on Saturday and woke up on
Sunday with the hangover from Hell and the sudden awareness he was
running the Marathon- he came in at one of the best times for a non
club runner well under 3 hours. He'd been training really hard before
that weekend and it served him well through he admitted he took his
medal and ran the last half mile into a pub for a hair of the dog) and
a colleagues wife who was a lot larger than me did circuit training 3
times a week,

So it isn't just about what you eat or drink. I think the problem is a
lot of overweight people is they believe they're fat so they can't do
anything and the slimmer contemptous lot reinforce this. "You can't
take stairs" " "You can't dance" etc

Old June 7th 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

Or go into hospital and be on "nil by mouth" for a while.

My friend, Mick (RB) had appendicitis- unfortunately he had eaten
dinner (remember this is a man who was offered a diet sheet by his
oncologist!) just before the pain started, which made a general
anaesthetic risky for 3 hours also because they needed to make sure he
wasn't getting worse and a pain killer might have masked his symptoms
he couldn't have anagesia. In 3 hours he lost 3 stone through sweat!
He did say he wouldn't recommend the experience to his own worse enemy
through!

--------------

Nil by mouth, it's the secret for weight loss;-)
You aren't even allowed to drink for days. You are allowed to suck a tiny
sponge every few hours but you mustn't swallow the water from it.
It does not help when you see other people on the ward eating meals 3 times
a day and drinking as much as they want.
When I was finally allowed to eat it was like nectar.

Tweed

Old June 7th 09, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Cheryl P." wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message

And yet, people just keep getting fatter. I don't buy that it's simply
a "lack of willpower"

Yes, they do. Of course it's lack of willpower if people stuff
themselves when they know they are very overweight.
It does not bother me, I was once overweight. now I am not.

One of those books on diet was titled 'Willpower's Not Enough'.

Yes, they would say that, wouldn't they, to sell their book?
The only way to lose weight is to expend more cals than you use, and put it
in reverse, put weight on.
We all know this but we don't want to. Every overweight person insists they
don't eat too much.
I have a lovely friend who weighs 28 stone at least. She claims she doesn't
eat much. Of course she does. I pretend to agree with her so I don't upset
her.

Tweed

Tweed