My cat's got fleas!

Old March 11th 05, 05:17 AM
ltlslugr31

Default My cat's got fleas!

I have a cat that's indoors most of the time, but we let him outside to
romp around every once in a while. The problem is, he sometimes comes
home with fleas. We've tried a flea collar and flea and tick oil, but
neither work. Does anyone know what the best way to keep fleas off my
mostly indoor cat is, without making it a permanently indoor cat?

Old March 11th 05, 06:39 AM
Noon Cat Nick

ltlslugr31 wrote:

I have a cat that's indoors most of the time, but we let him outside to
romp around every once in a while. The problem is, he sometimes comes
home with fleas. We've tried a flea collar and flea and tick oil, but
neither work. Does anyone know what the best way to keep fleas off my
mostly indoor cat is, without making it a permanently indoor cat?

Advantage is what I've always used, with no problem. An application
lasts for one month. It both kills present fleas and prevents future infestations.

Stay away from Hartz products if you value your cat's life and health.
Old March 11th 05, 01:10 PM
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Noon Cat Nick exclaimed (3/11/2005 6:39 AM):
ltlslugr31 wrote:

I have a cat that's indoors most of the time, but we let him outside to
romp around every once in a while. The problem is, he sometimes comes
home with fleas. We've tried a flea collar and flea and tick oil, but
neither work. Does anyone know what the best way to keep fleas off my
mostly indoor cat is, without making it a permanently indoor cat?

Advantage is what I've always used, with no problem. An application
lasts for one month. It both kills present fleas and prevents future infestations.

Stay away from Hartz products if you value your cat's life and health.

I use Stronghold, in the UK - has a different name in the US though. I
used Frontline/Frontline Plus once or twice, but Meep has some weird
allergic reaction to it (apparently it itches intensely) so we switched.

Like Advantage, it's a once per quarter liquid you apply between the
shoulder blades. Works very well.
Old March 11th 05, 01:11 PM

ltlslugr31 wrote:
I have a cat that's indoors most of the time, but we let him outside

romp around every once in a while. The problem is, he sometimes

comes
home with fleas. We've tried a flea collar and flea and tick oil,

but
neither work. Does anyone know what the best way to keep fleas off

my
mostly indoor cat is, without making it a permanently indoor cat?

Some of my cats go out a little, too. Recently, they brought in some
fleas and, of course, they all got fleas. I use Advantage and that
takes care of the situation. don't know how we ever lived without it. I
hve no faith in flea collars and, also, don't like Hartz products.

Old March 11th 05, 01:28 PM
ElvisRocks

There are non chemical flea remedies out there. You can use diamateous (sp)
earth, and you can use a mixture of borax and baking soda in your carpeting
which kills the fleas. I used Advantage and it caused
reactions in two of my cats. I used 1/2 a dose instead of the whole dose on
Elvis a few years ago when somehow we got fleas and that worked fine just
using 1/2.

oups.com...

Old March 11th 05, 05:24 PM
fatbak

Years ago I had two cats, both indoor only. When we adopted the second
one, she came with a large side order of fleas, so large that we had to
flea bomb the house (of course we took the cats elsewhere when we did
this). We lived in South Carolina at the time, and fleas were plentiful.

Interestingly, the older cat never got any of the fleas, even though at
one point they were so bad I sometimes saw fleas jump on my ankles! That
cat wasn't getting any flea treatment, but she'd been eating nutritional
yeast all of her life. She loved it sprinkled on her food and would wait
for me to add it before starting to eat.

From what I understand, fleas don't like the taste that n. yeast leaves
on a cat's skin. I suspect it might have to build up for a while before
it's effective, and of course, it would probably be better at keeping a
flea-free cat from getting fleas; I don't know how well it would rid a
cat of fleas it already has.

This is my experience; as always, your mileage may vary.

Good luck,
Irene

Old March 11th 05, 07:32 PM
ElvisRocks

Oh yeah - you can feed them crushed up brewers yeast tablets to keep the
fleas off of them.
I tried that, too. Fleas LOVE me! I still have scars on my ankles & legs
from 15 years ago when we had them!!!

"fatbak" wrote in message
.. .
Years ago I had two cats, both indoor only. When we adopted the second
one, she came with a large side order of fleas, so large that we had to
flea bomb the house (of course we took the cats elsewhere when we did
this). We lived in South Carolina at the time, and fleas were plentiful.

Interestingly, the older cat never got any of the fleas, even though at
one point they were so bad I sometimes saw fleas jump on my ankles! That
cat wasn't getting any flea treatment, but she'd been eating nutritional
yeast all of her life. She loved it sprinkled on her food and would wait
for me to add it before starting to eat.

From what I understand, fleas don't like the taste that n. yeast leaves on

Old March 12th 05, 12:18 AM
fatbak

Instead of buying the tablets, most health food or natural food stores
sell the powder in bulk.

Did it keep the fleas off you?

Irene

ElvisRocks wrote:
Oh yeah - you can feed them crushed up brewers yeast tablets to keep the
fleas off of them.
I tried that, too. Fleas LOVE me! I still have scars on my ankles & legs
from 15 years ago when we had them!!!

"fatbak" wrote in message
.. .

Years ago I had two cats, both indoor only. When we adopted the second
one, she came with a large side order of fleas, so large that we had to
flea bomb the house (of course we took the cats elsewhere when we did
this). We lived in South Carolina at the time, and fleas were plentiful.

Interestingly, the older cat never got any of the fleas, even though at
one point they were so bad I sometimes saw fleas jump on my ankles! That
cat wasn't getting any flea treatment, but she'd been eating nutritional
yeast all of her life. She loved it sprinkled on her food and would wait
for me to add it before starting to eat.

From what I understand, fleas don't like the taste that n. yeast leaves on