New to the group

Old June 3rd 09, 06:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
stinky

Default New to the group

Hi
I am new to this group, but the name of the group caught my
attention. Stories about cats.

I have one cat named stinky that adopted me about three years ago
after I had to put my little dog to sleep.

He is a big yellow and white male, weighs about 20 pounds and
stretches out so he can reach my counter tops with his paws.
I took him to the vet right after I got him and never again. He had
his head out of the carrier(cardboard) before getting there. Then upon
leaving they put i him in a new carrier and before I paid the bill he
had his head out through the handles . So they put him in another one
and put a collar on him and said that should slow him down,
He then proceeded to meow and make terrible noise, then the smell
began. He dirtied in the box and still managed to get the collar off
and had his head sticking out. He was dirty from tip of tail to head.
Needless to say that was the first and last time he was to the Vet.
He is now a house kitty so I think he will be safe from getting any
diseases.
Old June 3rd 09, 07:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"stinky" wrote in message
[...]

Even a house cat can have various medical problems. He may never catch
anything from another cat, but he can still have thyroid or kidney problems,
along with other possibilities. A cat should get a checkup at least once a
year. You need a different kind of carrier. A plastic one would probably
be best.

I have a cat who doesn't like carriers. She destroyed a cloth carrier on
her first vet visit. On the second visit, she destroyed a cardboard
carrier. Now I have a plastic carrier, that is no longer a problem.

Joy

Old June 3rd 09, 08:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

"stinky" wrote in message

[...]

Also, some vets will make house calls. They usually charge more for
the service, but depending on your circumstances, it might be worth it.

Welcome, BTW!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old June 3rd 09, 08:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
Joy wrote:

"stinky" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, I was so busy giving advice that I forgot to say welcome. Mea culpa.

Welcome!

Joy

Old June 3rd 09, 01:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 23:30:19 -0700, "Joy" wrote:

Even a house cat can have various medical problems. He may never catch
anything from another cat, but he can still have thyroid or kidney problems,
along with other possibilities. A cat should get a checkup at least once a
year. You need a different kind of carrier. A plastic one would probably
be best.

My theory is the larger the carrier the easier it is to stuff the cat
inside, and I got the largest Pet Taxi Wal Mart had.

Bud
Old June 3rd 09, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
wrote:
Even a house cat can have various medical problems. He may never
catch
anything from another cat, but he can still have thyroid or kidney
problems,
along with other possibilities. A cat should get a checkup at least
once a
year. You need a different kind of carrier. A plastic one would
probably
be best.

My theory is the larger the carrier the easier it is to stuff the
cat
inside, and I got the largest Pet Taxi Wal Mart had.

Bud

Well, yeah, it is, but that's a given that not only can *you* carry it
*alone*
but can force the huge hard-sided carrier into the passenger side
(totally
forget the floorboard or the toneau-covered bed) of a regular-sized
cab
of light pickup. I use a soft-sided with mesh covered open spots on
all
sides...difficult to stuff largest cat into, tail first (mesh opening
on zipped "door")
so his face is at that end, but easy to lock seat belt passenger side
over
carrier and console cat with through-the-mesh petting during traffic
stops.
Carrying also easier, hugging it to chest if necessary.

************

Not Recommended. But how we do it. (Yes I do have proper carriers)

Charlie has claustrophobia big time. So good cat daddy that he is, he
has decided they are terrified of being in a carrier. We go to the
vet with Charlie riding 'shotgun' with whichever cat needs to go in
his arms, wrapped up in a bath towel.

Thank God I won the contest over having Kayla sleep in a crate.

Jo

Old June 4th 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"stinky" wrote in message
[...]

Welcome -- I don't think anyone here would encourage you in not taking your
cat to the vet. My cats are terrible about going to the vet, and I dread
taking them, but they go. It helps to have a carrier that is big enough for
them to turn around in, with an opening big enough so that you don't have to
squeeze him through.

My dear, sweet cat, who went to the RB last fall, was named Stinky, too. I
miss him quite a bit.

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old June 4th 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I have one from petsmart that looks like a large purse with a mesh front.
Carry it like a shoulder strap purse. Cat always close at hand and none of
the 3 seem to mind. The 16 pound guy, I wouldn't want to carry too far.
Son doesn't understand why, says my regular purse also weighs about that
much.

Old June 4th 09, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty

On Jun 3, 1:34*pm, wrote:

Well, yeah, it is, but that's a given that not only can *you* carry it
*alone*
but can force the huge hard-sided carrier into the passenger side
(totally
forget the floorboard or the toneau-covered bed) of a regular-sized
cab
of light pickup. I use a soft-sided with mesh covered open spots on
all
sides...difficult to stuff largest cat into, tail first (mesh opening
on zipped "door")
so his face is at that end, but easy to lock seat belt passenger side
over
carrier and console cat with through-the-mesh petting during traffic
stops.
Carrying also easier, hugging it to chest if necessary.

I really like the soft-sided carrier you mentioned. Since I don't have
a car and pets
are not allowed on buses, I walk Rusty to the vet, weather permitting.
Even though
it is about 15 min walk, it can get tiring carrying lightweight Rusty
in a heavy duty
plastic carrier.

I previously used a luggage cart to haul the plastic carrier. But I
guess Rusty didn't
like the bumpy sidewalk and/or he was scared, he dirtied himself in
the carrier.
But so far hand carrying him in a soft carrier work for us.

Winnie
Old June 4th 09, 04:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA

Rusty kirjoitti:
On Jun 3, 1:34 pm, wrote:
[...]

I think the soft carriers also come in backpack versions, which are
easier to carry, at least to me. Even a heavy load doesn't feel as heavy
in a backpack.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Try my new group! Ryan Cat health & behaviour 0 March 2nd 06 10:35 PM
New to this group Kerry Cat anecdotes 38 September 4th 05 12:32 AM
This is a CAT group not a CHAT group BuZZard Cat health & behaviour 36 March 12th 05 03:37 AM
To the group [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 12 September 3rd 04 03:28 AM
To The Group Len Albrecht Cat health & behaviour 256 July 4th 04 07:55 AM