Why does my cat throw-up so much?

Old March 7th 04, 02:03 PM
Steve

Default Why does my cat throw-up so much?

I have a 4 year old male cat. I have had him for his entire life. Found
him few days after he was born and feed him with a dropper for a while.
Now he is a big, fat 21 pound cat.

For some reason, unknown to me, he throws up about once a week. Seems to
happen after he eats a lot. I think he is just such a pig that he stuffs
his face, then pukes because he over ate.

Anyone have any other idea's? He has no other heath problems and is an
active, fun cat.

Old March 7th 04, 02:21 PM

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:03:20 GMT, "Steve" wrote:

I have a 4 year old male cat. I have had him for his entire life. Found
him few days after he was born and feed him with a dropper for a while.
Now he is a big, fat 21 pound cat.

For some reason, unknown to me, he throws up about once a week. Seems to
happen after he eats a lot. I think he is just such a pig that he stuffs
his face, then pukes because he over ate.

Anyone have any other idea's? He has no other heath problems and is an
active, fun cat.

I just took my cat to the vet for the same problem. He told me to
take away all dry food and start my cat on 1/2 can of wet twice a day,
instead. He thinks my cat is just not getting enough moisture from
his food to make it pass through his system. It's been a few days now
and so far so good, but my cat can go for several weeks between vomit
episodes. My cat is also a good eater and will eat just about
anything I put in front of him. He's a shorthair, but he sheds all
the time, so the vet said a lot of his problem could be hairball
related, although all he's ever thrown up has been clear fluid and
food (7-8 hours after eating it). He also recommended a tsp. of
Petramalt three times a week. I'm going to take him back and have
some blood work done in a few weeks to rule any diseases.
pepsi
Old March 7th 04, 04:34 PM
Mary

"Steve" wrote in message
I have a 4 year old male cat. I have had him for his entire life.

Found
him few days after he was born and feed him with a dropper for a

while.
Now he is a big, fat 21 pound cat.

Brush him, stop free feeding him (feed him twice a day, preferably
high-quality
canned food, or ask your vet what and how much to feed him) and get a
laser
pointer. I have a very fat cat (I didn't DO it, she arrived that way!)
and she is
steadily losing weight on a diet and a regimen of laser pointer play
every night.
It is HILARIOUS, like having a kitty remote control. I make the light
go
down the hall just ahead of her and she zips right after it. I let her
"get" it
once in a while--i.e. turn it off when she pounces on it--to keep her
interest.
Another great thing--it doesn't wear out your arm like a feather on a
string can.

Old March 7th 04, 05:01 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Steve" wrote in message
I have a 4 year old male cat. I have had him for his entire life. Found
him few days after he was born and feed him with a dropper for a while.
Now he is a big, fat 21 pound cat.

For some reason, unknown to me, he throws up about once a week. Seems to
happen after he eats a lot. I think he is just such a pig that he stuffs
his face, then pukes because he over ate.

Anyone have any other idea's? He has no other heath problems and is an
active, fun cat.

Cats appear to have the ability to puke at the drop of a hat.

My first cat, Sabina, did this regularly her whole life (17 years). She was
healthy, just seemed to gobble her food too quickly sometimes, sans any
chewing. Would throw it up soon after eating it, & it'd come up looking as
it had in the bowl (dry food), only wetter & warmer. ;-) Then, if I didn't
clean it up *immediately*, she'd eat it again, & it'd stay down the second
time. To each their own. g

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old March 7th 04, 09:23 PM

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:34:29 GMT, "Mary" wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I love to run the light up to his foot and then turn it off. 9 times
out of 10, he'll either back up or pick his foot up thinking he
trapped the light.
If he's up on his condo, I'll flash the light on the ceiling and he
does a perfect head waving, mouth open, Stevie Wonder imitation.
Hilarious.
pepsi
Old March 8th 04, 06:10 AM
Sylvia M

"Steve" wrote in message
I have a 4 year old male cat. I have had him for his entire life. Found
him few days after he was born and feed him with a dropper for a while.
Now he is a big, fat 21 pound cat.

For some reason, unknown to me, he throws up about once a week. Seems to
happen after he eats a lot. I think he is just such a pig that he stuffs
his face, then pukes because he over ate.

Anyone have any other idea's? He has no other heath problems and is an
active, fun cat.

You might try spreading his food out, to make it take longer to eat. I
even read that you can put some marbles on the dish to seperate dry food,
and make it take longer to eat. I drop a piece in my cat's water, that
makes her drink more, trying to get the food out...
but she still hurks now and then!

Old March 8th 04, 04:43 PM
Irina

My Noelia was throwing up about once a day, and it turns out she
had eaten a penny quite a while ago, and it was making her sick.
The vet first thought it was hairballs, but when meds for that didn't
help, he xrayed and found the penny. Don't wait, take your kitty to
the vet. She got very sick from it and is still not eating (she has FLS).
Old March 9th 04, 06:42 AM
IBen Getiner

"Steve" wrote in message .. .
I have a 4 year old male cat. I have had him for his entire life. Found
him few days after he was born and feed him with a dropper for a while.
Now he is a big, fat 21 pound cat.

For some reason, unknown to me, he throws up about once a week. Seems to
happen after he eats a lot. I think he is just such a pig that he stuffs
his face, then pukes because he over ate.

Anyone have any other idea's? He has no other heath problems and is an
active, fun cat.

It's probably all those thumbtacks you've left layin' around. That or
the icicles from a Xmas tree. Probably all wraped around his innards
by now.

IBen Getiner
Old March 9th 04, 04:58 PM
Mary

wrote

I love to run the light up to his foot and then turn it off. 9

times
out of 10, he'll either back up or pick his foot up thinking he
trapped the light.

Isn't this cute?! Boo looks all around, side to side and up and down,
really fast, when I turn the light off. Like "where'd it go! Where'd
is GO?!"

If he's up on his condo, I'll flash the light on the ceiling and he
does a perfect head waving, mouth open, Stevie Wonder imitation.
Hilarious.

LOL!! Non-cat folks have no idea what they are missing. Boo does the
Stevie Wonder thing when you scratch her spot at the base of her tail,
and she "sings" the whole time.

Old March 22nd 04, 11:17 PM
The Furrsome (again)Foursome

Dry food swells when it hits their tummies, and if they ate too much too
fast, back it comes....

My two dear departed siamese did this all their lives. DO check with
the vet, but when something more drastic is ruled out, it may just be
that he's eaten too much too fast.

Feed them small amounts at a time, brush them lots (minimized
hairballs), give them hairball remedy (treats hairballs), and otherwise,
keep paper towels and a carpet stain treatment handy.

Right now I have two barfers, and two who will, um... clean up after the
barfers...

Johanna