Why, Tommy, Why?

Old September 17th 05, 06:54 AM
Pat

Default Why, Tommy, Why?

Coming back from feeding the horses today, Tommy was doing his usual falling
down in front of my feet as I walked, to my complementary stepping around
and over Tommy to keep from tripping and breaking my butt, when he suddenly
added a new element to the dance. Something no one has ever done to me
before, so I was taken aback and probably did not respond as he expected.

As I was stepping over him, he bit me on the ankle (not *too* hard, but
enough to draw a drop a blood)! WHY???

I guess now I know the true meaning of the term "ankle-biter".

Old September 17th 05, 10:55 PM
polonca12000

Lots of healing purrs for your ankle, Pat,
--
Polonca & Soncek

.. .

Old September 18th 05, 01:30 AM
Christina Websell

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .
Coming back from feeding the horses today, Tommy was doing his usual
falling
down in front of my feet as I walked, to my complementary stepping around
and over Tommy to keep from tripping and breaking my butt, when he
suddenly
added a new element to the dance. Something no one has ever done to me
before, so I was taken aback and probably did not respond as he expected.

As I was stepping over him, he bit me on the ankle (not *too* hard, but
enough to draw a drop a blood)! WHY???

I guess now I know the true meaning of the term "ankle-biter".

I don't know why. Kitty FC used to collapse on the path in front of me and
invite me to skritch her tummy. If I did, she would grab me and scratch me
hard. She will also perch on my chest, purr, and ask for lovins. Then she
will bite me and run off, like she knows she shouldn't have done it. WHY??
I'm trying hard, but I don't understand cats..
Tommy is doing this to you, isn't he? You thought you knew him and now you
don't. Very challenging. Bas***d cat trick probably.
Tweed

P.S Just my opinion, if he dares to bite your ankle again, clip him round
his ear with your hand gently at the moment he does it and hiss. Let him
know he's a norty boy.

Old September 18th 05, 01:54 AM
Karen

On 2005-09-17 19:30:43 -0500, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Did you ever play with a friend and you would "play fight" ? I think
it's kind of like that. When you suddenly feel like slugging a frined,
maybe kind of embarrassed over something....I think it is kind of the
same emotional process.

Old September 18th 05, 02:43 AM
Pat

"Christina Websell" wrote

[...]

Several times he has bitten my hand or arm while we were actually playing to
begin with, but he's always stopped short of breaking the skin before.

Old September 18th 05, 02:43 AM
Pat

"Karen" wrote

Did you ever play with a friend and you would "play fight" ? I think
it's kind of like that.

I can't recall any specific incidents but I probably have at some point. I
just don't get *this* particular incident. We were just walking along, as we
often do. He's never even grabbed at my feet before.

Old September 18th 05, 03:15 AM
Christina Websell

"Pat" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote

[...]

So now he's gone too far and you need to make it very clear to him that he
has and it won't be allowed again. I would only let a dog/cat gently touch
my skin with teeth in play. If they pressed down they'd be thrown off my
lap, presto, with harsh words. If they bit hard (cats) I would raise my
voice, something like "YOU BAD CAT GET OUTSIDE NOW!" and then I would
bundle them out of the back door and close it for a while.

None of my dogs ever bit me or even growled at me. I trained them as puppies
that they must let me examine inside ears, teeth, cut nails etc. and that
they must do as they are told. My vet loved me for that ;-)

Tweed

Old September 18th 05, 03:38 AM
Pat

"Christina Websell" wrote

So now he's gone too far and you need to make it very clear to him that he
has and it won't be allowed again. I would only let a dog/cat gently

touch
my skin with teeth in play. If they pressed down they'd be thrown off my
lap, presto, with harsh words. If they bit hard (cats) I would raise my
voice, something like "YOU BAD CAT GET OUTSIDE NOW!" and then I would
bundle them out of the back door and close it for a while.

None of my dogs ever bit me or even growled at me. I trained them as

puppies
that they must let me examine inside ears, teeth, cut nails etc. and that
they must do as they are told. My vet loved me for that ;-)

I think Tommy did not *mean* to bite me that hard. He's a gentle guy, for
the most part. I can do anything I want to him, including clip his claws,
give a bath, check his teeth (they're in perfect shape), ears, whatever. In
fact, he'd probably let me pick him up by his back legs and swing him
around, without blinking an eye.

Eli is the one who regularly gets disciplined here, and always for the
sametransgression: challenging the other cats, acting like he is going to
kill them and generally frightening them half to death. Especially poor baby
Lily, who used to absolutely idolize her "uncle" Eli. The only one I've ever
seen Tommy do that to, is Eli!

Eli knows, when I say his name and look at him a certain way, that he had
better chill out quickly. Just now as I was typing this post, he started a
fight with Abelard in the kitchen. All I did was walk into the room and look
at him, didn't make a sound, yet he took off running into the bathroom and
hid in a cupboard. A few minutes later he was back in the kitchen getting
ready to attack Baby Eyes, who had come from the bedroom when she heard Aby
screaming. This time I snuck up behind Eli and flicked his ear. He ran back
into the bathroom, shocked, but now has settled down on the living room
floor and is back to being peaceful. But it never lasts very long. I don't
know why he doesn't seem to retain the awareness that I will not tolerate
his aggression against the smaller cats.

Old September 18th 05, 03:46 AM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:54:49 -0500, Karen
yodeled:

On 2005-09-17 19:30:43 -0500, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You know, I don't even think it's emotional, especially with a cat
like Kitty FC. I think it's a nervous system thing. Some cats are
just not "wired" for too much physical contact, even though she might
think she wants it. I think she just gets to a point where the wrong
nerve ending fires, and she's had enough. She wants to be close. I
don't think there's any doubt she loves you, Christina. There's just
something in her little brain that suddenly goes "Oh no you don't!" I
don't even think she remembers this, because she comes back, and
starts the process again. Maybe some stupid kid was too rough with
her when she was a little kit, and the reaction she has really isn't
in her control. Now she's too old to unlearn that. But she's lucky
to have you, and I think she knows it, and shows you the best she can.

Theresa