WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT

Old December 9th 04, 05:22 AM
Sherry

Default WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT

Our shelter can't afford to offer spaying and vaccinating at all. I'm not
sure of the current offer; usually it's a fee (a smaller one) and maybe a
coupon for a discounted or free checkup.

But surely you don't adopt out whole cats? It's a state law here; we have to
either neuter them, or collect a deposit from the adoptor and hold it until
they bring back proof of neutering from a vet, as soon as the kitten is old
enough.
I used to be a lot more easy-going about adoptions than I am now. I have just
seen too many horror stories.

Sherry
Old December 11th 04, 03:51 AM
KellyH

"Sherry " wrote in message
Our shelter can't afford to offer spaying and vaccinating at all. I'm not
sure of the current offer; usually it's a fee (a smaller one) and maybe a
coupon for a discounted or free checkup.

But surely you don't adopt out whole cats? It's a state law here; we have
either neuter them, or collect a deposit from the adoptor and hold it
until
they bring back proof of neutering from a vet, as soon as the kitten is
old
enough.
I used to be a lot more easy-going about adoptions than I am now. I have
just
seen too many horror stories.

Sherry

Eeeek!! A shelter adopting out unspayed/neutered cats? To me that's
disturbing content! Ours used to give out "Plan A's" which are basically
coupons from the state to get your pet s/n. But, we found it better to
spend the $$ and send out ALL cats s/n, and we are working on all dogs, too.
So far we can neuter dogs at our vetting suite but not spay yet. We even
s/n all kittens. It means they end up going out at more like 10 weeks then
8, but it's worth it.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old December 11th 04, 04:13 AM
Sherry

We even
s/n all kittens. It means they end up going out at more like 10 weeks then
8, but it's worth it.

--
-Kelly

Our vets *still won't* do early S/N. NOt before 6 MONTHS. So we still have to
do the stupid deposit certificate for kittens. It's a PITA to do the callbacks
and nag the new owners to make sure they're getting it done.
I really wish the vets would change on that.
Sherry
Old December 11th 04, 06:57 AM
O J

Sherry wrote:

Kelly wrote:

We even
s/n all kittens. It means they end up going out at more like 10 weeks then
8, but it's worth it.

Our vets *still won't* do early S/N. NOt before 6 MONTHS. So we still have to
do the stupid deposit certificate for kittens. It's a PITA to do the callbacks
and nag the new owners to make sure they're getting it done.
I really wish the vets would change on that.

I wish I knew what a happy balance was. When we adopted Sumo and
Natasha from the shelter, you filled out the paperwork and paid the
fees. Then you picked up the kittens from the veterinary clinic in
two days. I'm not sure exactly how old they were, but they were tiny
enough to almost fit in a shirt pocket. If medical doctors can do
open-heart surgery on newborn human babies, I guess that vets can
operate on very young kittens as well.

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old December 11th 04, 08:37 AM
Sherry

If medical doctors can do
open-heart surgery on newborn human babies, I guess that vets can
operate on very young kittens as well.

Regards and Purrs,
O J

From what I hear and read, it is very safe. I just don't know why our vets
won't do it. Not one in the whole county will, they stick together on the
6-months=old rule.
Old December 11th 04, 03:11 PM
KellyH

"Sherry " wrote in message
Our vets *still won't* do early S/N. NOt before 6 MONTHS. So we still have
do the stupid deposit certificate for kittens. It's a PITA to do the
callbacks
and nag the new owners to make sure they're getting it done.
I really wish the vets would change on that.
Sherry

Really?? Even neuters? Our shelter vet actually likes doing kitten spays
better than adults, says they are easier and there is much less bleeding.
Plus, the kittens recover so much more quickly than the adults. Neuters are
so quick and easy, I don't know why they wouldn't do a kitten neuter. We
started doing kitten s/n because we also hated trying to chase down people,
too.

Old December 12th 04, 04:46 AM
Dylan Blacquiere

Eeeek!! A shelter adopting out unspayed/neutered cats? To me that's
disturbing content! Ours used to give out "Plan A's" which are basically
coupons from the state to get your pet s/n. But, we found it better to
spend the $$ and send out ALL cats s/n, and we are working on all dogs,

too.
So far we can neuter dogs at our vetting suite but not spay yet. We even
s/n all kittens. It means they end up going out at more like 10 weeks

then
8, but it's worth it.

Where we got Nocturne, in Ontario, she was whole when we got her, but we had
to sign a contract stating that we would spay her. Nobody ever really
followed up on that though...then again, we had to buy a license for her at
the shelter and on that it stated she'd been spayed, so maybe they find out
that way.

--Fil

Old December 13th 04, 08:03 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-12, Dylan Blacquiere penned:

Where we got Nocturne, in Ontario, she was whole when we got her, but we had
to sign a contract stating that we would spay her. Nobody ever really
followed up on that though...then again, we had to buy a license for her at
the shelter and on that it stated she'd been spayed, so maybe they find out
that way.

This was the case for my dog Puma (RB) ... but that was almost 16 years ago
now, so probably not relevant.

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!