OT I don't know if I posted this before and what I am allowed to eat

Old August 10th 10, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

Default OT I don't know if I posted this before and what I am allowed to eat

this is the part i am NOT confused about, I AM SO PROUD OF YOU !!! Lee
"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Aug 9, 5:43 pm, wrote:
cshenk wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

I'd be so scared I think I might stop eating.

In what way did anything I said suggests that?

My apologies but this is what I reacted to. It's an unfair fact that
most
folks I know when seeing a person who is a plus size, assumes they are
consuming 6,000 calories a day or more.

People really do think they know a lot about each other just by looking
at them, don't they? If you're fat, it must be because you eat tons of
sugar and high-fat foods all day long. They think it's all about simple
arithmetic, but that's old-fashioned ignorance. The metabolism is a lot
more complex than that.
Joyce

Yes, I am thoroughly confused over who said what about what not to
mention
the recipes. Tired of trying to sort it out and am so outa this
thread. Feel
better, Matt, and good luck with your diet rules.

Thanks Hop I am a little confused at the moment myself

Old August 10th 10, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

and i think a lot of people comment negatively about a larger person because
they are overeating and scared of gaining, Lee
"Granby" wrote in message
Matthew, you hang in there. You had long enough to decide this is what
was best for you. With other medical issues, you just hang in there.
"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

--
Excuse for Not Doing One's Homework:
My pit bull, here, ate it.

When ignorant POS say that to me I look at them laugh at them and tell
them a simple phrase "I have to pity you since you had to make fun of me
or comment about me. What a waste of a life you must have to bother
someone like me"

Old August 10th 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Jane"

snipped

I think you need to seek mental, dietary and diabetic counseling and I am
sorry but your post will be ignored from now on if you keep doing stuff like
that.

No one will bring me to the point I was again specially some one posting
nonsense dribble like that stuff.

I was not going to be nice and had to think this post out and redo it a
couple times since I am trying to be happy from now on.

If you are this bad off SEEK HELP

Old August 10th 10, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"hopitus"

I think my post below says it all. Time to head to the doctors

I am simply going to put any one that wants to be negative in the ignore
file.

They are not worth it if their lives are pathetic enough to try to bring me
down

Old August 10th 10, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Matthew a friend that did this did not ask for all the help available and
failed. a lady that works for Illinois Tourism did this and lost 200 pounds.
She availed herself of all the help available, took classes etc. She has
had the thing adjusted twice. Said it, for her, was re learning eating
habits. Didn't eat too much just not right for her body. Stay on the high
road my friend.
g.com...

Old August 10th 10, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Granby"

No worries I WILL NEVER let myself get to a low point again. :-)

Everyone in this group knows I am the type to research. This was a long
battle THAT I WON now the war begins. I have the upper hand and plan to
keep it.

Two of the other drivers; for the company that I work with now, good
friends had this done. One listened to everything and did what he was
told. He lost all his weight about 250 pounds in a descent period of time.
I think almost 3 years. The other one went out and ate a pizza the week
after the surgery and ended up in the hospital. He still is having problems
due to his stupidity. I have had a distant family member have this done and
it worked wonders. In fact my third cousin wants me to talk to her daughter
that is going through the same struggle.

I play WOW aka world of warcraft. One of the people I talk and play
with everyday their mother had the sleeve version done. She will not
listen to what to do or how to do it. Since she has since gotten to the
point of no return with being put into a home. They told her to expect to
die this year if she gets sick from her stubbornness and stupidity.

I have a great support group here, at home and even the doctor's office
has the support groups; which I get to start going to now since the surgery.
I am taking every option I can and using it. They also offer mental
support. Every avenue and option I am going to do. I will follow exactly
what I need to do. This has been a struggle with me for years. I ate
healthy. I ate smart. I exercised. I dieted. I watched calories and carbs
etc. I saw doctors, therapist and dieticians over this. The weight would
not come off even with medicines.

I finally got diagnosed with a proven medical condition which basically
says the genes in my body don't tell it to burn the food off. It generic
nickname is "thrifty genotype". There is no current cure and many obese
people are being found to have this either due to genetics and or
environmental factors. Right now they estimate 22% of obese people have
this problem or a similar condition. They have linked this gene problem to a
possible diabetes cause. There is so many break throughs and understandings
happening everyday it is just a matter of time.

So for all you out there that can't get it through their heads. This
was THE BEST OPTION instead of a nursing home or a full gastric bypass. So
if any one can't wrap their pretty little heads around that it was much more
than dieting or portion control needed. Well %^*@#%$&%$&!^$(^%(^%^(
yourself. I am done explaining that.

For all you supporting me
THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTLE OF MY HEART AND SOUL
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

Old August 10th 10, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

On Aug 10, 4:39?am, Jack Campin - bogus address

Jane wrote:

[aggressive moaning about how bariatric surgery hasn't worked for her]

Well, I haven't shut up since 2006.
No sense in shutting up now.

Jack is correct that Jane's post is born from her own misery and I
(against my nature) don't believe she meant it as a stab at Matt or
what
e has chosen to have as surgery. As wounded animals cry out in pain,
some of the posts like that one are simply outlets for people's
frustration
and unhappiness.
You have to also remember that *my* post above is from someone who
is not a hot personal appearance, but who really doesn't give a ****
what
anyone else thinks of it (no one has ever said one word to me about my
weight or clothing....are you surprised LOL).
Therefore, let us pllease try to empathize with Jane, and not assume
she launched a negative attack on Matt's progress.

I don't believe Jane was attacking Matt at all. She was talking about her
own experience, but also the experience of many, many people who have had
WLS. I know people who have suffered from the bad side effects of having
had the surgery. These problems are a well-kept secret in the medical
field - this surgery is big business, after all. I'm sure it helps some
people, but many suffer from the effects of poor nutrition. The body does
not absorb nutrients in the same way after surgery. One friend of mine
had chronic ricketts. Another friend, who takes dilantin for a seizure
disorder, has to take 4 times the normal therapeutic dosage just so her
body will have enough to prevent seizures, which would be enough to kill
or serious harm a normal person. (I realize that Matthew had a different
procedure.)

I'm not here to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do, and I
certainly don't blame anyone for their health problems if they've had WLS.
Most people want the surgery because they will finally feel acceptable by
their family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, doctors, and almost anyone
else. (Notable exception: your cats will love you at whatever size.) Many
will say they're doing it for their health, but the truth is, most fat
people feel like pariahs - and who wants to feel like that? Most fat
people are desperate to lose weight and will risk their lives to do so.
Everyone has their own threshold of tolerance for being treated like a
social outcast, or being pitied, nagged or bullied, patronized, rejected,
discriminated against.

As for health, in my opinion, one is trading one set of health risks for
another with WLS. I'll stick with the known risks of being fat, rather
than risking unknown or not-well understood complications of having my
digestive system messed with. And I speak as someone who has not had the
surgery, so I have nothing to be "bitter" about.

Thanks Jane, for the informative post. I think people should hear these
stories so they can make a truly informed decision.

Joyce

--
A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead.
-- Leo Rosten
Old August 10th 10, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

The people who
are still posting (apart from the trolls) are either new sufferers or
the small minority for whom nothing has helped. And they can develop
some enormous grudges after years of treatment failure or catastrophic
side-effects

How else do you expect people to feel?

The only thing I disagree with in your statement is the statistics.
Anti-depressants have worked for a large number of people, but often
for a limited time. I don't think they're the panacea that many seem
to believe they are. I'm glad that they work for you, but I think
you're the one who's in the minority. Most of us stumble along, trying
different medications, or simply changing them when the current one
starts to lose effectiveness. I don't know anyone who is really content
their medication - and pretty much every one I know takes something,
or has in the recent past.

Imperfect as they are, though, I continue to take them because in my
experience, the alternative is unacceptable.

Joyce

Old August 11th 10, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

How else do you expect people to feel?

I wasn't blaming anybody. I was trying to explain why the sorts of
messages you get on support forums may not be representative of the
reality.

OK, I see. Thanks for explaining.

The only thing I disagree with in your statement is the statistics.
Anti-depressants have worked for a large number of people, but often
for a limited time. I don't think they're the panacea that many seem
to believe they are. I'm glad that they work for you, but I think
you're the one who's in the minority.

Work*ed*. I'm not on them any more. Most people find they deal
with the problem in a few months and can then be withdrawn (in my
case it was more like two years, but still, a long time ago and
with no relapse). They only *need* to work for a limited time.

There is some controversy as to whether they should even be given to
people who don't suffer from clinical depression. IMO many people who
could probably be helped through a life crisis with talk therapy end
up being put on medication instead because it costs less. Of course,
nobody's a greater expert on whether they're effective than the people
who take them, and your depression was really severe, then it was
probably a necessary intervention. I get the idea, though, that a lot
of people are given meds when their depression isn't particularly
severe. Maybe they're stressed out, or are going through a difficult
episode in life. I'm not judging the people who take the medication,
but I am questioning doctors who all too often go for the easy fix.

People who need lifelong medication for depression are a minority
of those who suffer from it - most severe depressive episodes last
about six months, and treatment is aimed at keeping you alive and
functional through that period.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I'd have to look into it to get the
statistics, but my anecdotal evidence (friends and acquaintances) says
that there are a lot of "walking wounded" out there who are miserable
yet functional, are not having an acute episode of depression, but
still benefit from medication, although it's far from perfect.

(And people
who've recovered won't usually want to lurk on forums devoted to it -
which means the newbies to acute depressive illness are basically
SOL as far as finding shared experience goes).

That's why programs like AA encourage people to "keep coming back",
even after they've been sober for a really long time. It's not just
good for the newbies, to see that there is life after drinking. It's
good for the old-timers to remember where they came from.

Matthew is in a more fortunate group and does have the option of
seeking out advice from people who've made a success from the
procedure. Positive attitude can only help.

I have trouble trusting the statistics on this because they come from
the same institutions that benefit from all these surgeries (ie, the
medical establishments). This doesn't mean it's not beneficial for some
percentage of the people who have it - I'm sure it must be because
something that had a 100% failure rate wouldn't be very popular. However,
while I'm sure medicine is a big business in the UK, but it's much bigger
in the US - we have the most expensive medical care in the world. Somebody's
raking in a lot of cash!

The same is true for anti-depressants - pharmaceuticals have a lot
invested in them, so the stats on their success are probably skewed in
their favor. But by now there are a lot of serious and well-educated
critics who've done their homework as well, offering a different point
of view and different statistics to back it up. Major, mainstream US
magazines have had cover articles on the subject in recent years (asking
whether SSRI anti-depressants are as effective as claimed).

There's no large body (excuse the pun ) of dissenting view on the
weight-loss industry. But surely you know that just because everyone says
something's true, that doesn't make it so. There *is* a small body of
dissenting views on the effectiveness and even the safety of various
weight-loss methods, and it's not just from unlucky people who had a
bad time of things and now have an axe to grind. But most people don't
pay attention because there's an overwhelming stigma attached to weight.
It's a very emotional issue for people, which makes it almost impossible
to consider alternative points of view rationally.

Joyce

--
Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he
grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto a freeway.
Old August 11th 10, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 7, 11:45*am, "Matthew"
wrote:
I know people hate top posting but I always look at it *Pay my account than
you can tell me what to do. *Specially when I did a long post like this

My mouth is watering already. *No allergies to food. *The only things for me
is that the ice burg lettuce that you get pre packaged makes me queasy. *A
fresh head is fine. *Heavy tomatoes sauce or soups *puts way too much acid
in my system *even if I make it fresh *normal tomatoes are fine. *Cantaloupe
green or orange gives me gas and I am not a pear fan. *Pretty much else I
have tried everything and like it Andrew Zimmerman would enjoy my company

As for Asian shopping. *I live near and work in a tourist capital of the
world *everything and anything is here. *Just can't drive anywhere yet
medically not cleared yet ;-(. *Before the surgery I cleared out everything
that could tempt me. *I wish Mom would understand that I told her she can
have her stash *but I won't cook anything that is not in my diet range so
she is SOL.

A friend asked me if I was going to do my normal cooking for the holidays *I
said sure I will but you might be surprised at what I put in front of you
;-)

Stepping in late, but best of luck. Hope you have super progress.
You're
a creative cook, and I think you'll do great. And since you *do* cook,
your mom will benefit from healthier eating too! when I got on the
heart-healthy
diet, DH's cholesterol level took a nosedive and *he* lost ten pounds
and has
kept it off for nearly ten years now.
I'm with you on the pre-bagged lettuce. I've noticed it has a really
funny smell
to it. Maybe some kind of preservative or wash chemical, but it makes
me sick too.
Sherry