Gee, Thanks Schwartzie

Old March 17th 13, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Gee, Thanks Schwartzie

Hi, Jill; coming out of occasional lurkdom to weigh in on this. It is my firm belief that using pepper, particularly cayenne, is harmful, and even abusive. Think about it. The cats walk In it, get it on their paws, and later groom. It can even get into their eyes via the normal grooming motions of a cat. Not only causing them severe pain but possibly damage. Even if they just sniff it, imagine how it feels to get pepper up I to your sinuses. I know you don't want to harm Schwartzie.

On the other hand, no one wants to smell cat poop, and the hotter it gets, the worse it's going to smell. A really good deterrent is a small sprinkler.. Even better if it's n a timer; cats are smart and it wont take long to discourage him.

As far as deterrents go, I think individual cats react differently. You could play around with different, less harmful things and see what works. I had a friend who soaked corncobs in vinegar and that worked for her. Citrus juices. Or the commercial stuff Mothballs are very toxic to cats. I wonder about essential oils like peppermint ... But I have not researched this and it could be likewise toxic. Something the cat absolutely hates but won't harm them. I'm sure there's a lot of info on the net about this.

The water sprinkler worked for me many years ago when we lived in the city. Good luck!

Sherry

Good luck.

Old March 17th 13, 12:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 3/16/2013 5:08 PM, Bastette wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
My neighbors' cat Schwartzie just made a "deposit" in the soft soil
right outside the window next to my den. The weather is great, perfect
for opening a few windows. I'm not sure I appreciate him deciding to
use this spot as his outdoor litterbox. If it becomes *the* poop-spot
it could get very stinky. I'm not sure what I could use/do to
discourage him from using that area. Any suggestions?

Jill

I've been told mothballs are effective, but I've never tried it, so
can't vouch for their efficacy.

Aren't those poisonous?

I believe so. At any rate, they aren't not something I'm likely to buy
(assuming I could even find them).

Jill
Old March 17th 13, 12:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

[...]

You're right, I wouldn't want pepper up my nose or in my eyes. BTDT!
The thing I read about it was to mix some in water, so it's not pure
pure powdered pepper... still, point taken. Fortunately I've been
watching and I haven't seen him return to that spot.

Jill
Old March 18th 13, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lisa Katt[_2_]

"jmcquown" skrev i meddelandet
My neighbors' cat Schwartzie just made a "deposit" in the soft soil right
outside the window next to my den. The weather is great, perfect for
opening a few windows. I'm not sure I appreciate him deciding to use this
spot as his outdoor litterbox. If it becomes *the* poop-spot it could get
very stinky. I'm not sure what I could use/do to discourage him from
using that area. Any suggestions?

Jill

How about planting a cactus or two?
Elisabet

Old March 18th 13, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 3/18/2013 6:58 PM, Lisa Katt wrote:
"jmcquown" skrev i meddelandet
My neighbors' cat Schwartzie just made a "deposit" in the soft soil right
outside the window next to my den. The weather is great, perfect for
opening a few windows. I'm not sure I appreciate him deciding to use this
spot as his outdoor litterbox. If it becomes *the* poop-spot it could get
very stinky. I'm not sure what I could use/do to discourage him from
using that area. Any suggestions?

Jill

How about planting a cactus or two?
Elisabet

It's too wet to grow cactus.

Jill
Old March 19th 13, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

--
Joyce

yes.. very poisonous to cats. I wouldn't risk them.

Old March 19th 13, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Friday, March 15, 2013 8:00:38 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
On 3/15/2013 1:59 PM, ann791 wrote:

On 3/15/2013 12:08 PM, jmcquown wrote:

My neighbors' cat Schwartzie just made a "deposit" in the soft soil

right outside the window next to my den. The weather is great, perfect

for opening a few windows. I'm not sure I appreciate him deciding to

use this spot as his outdoor litterbox. If it becomes *the* poop-spot

it could get very stinky. I'm not sure what I could use/do to

discourage him from using that area. Any suggestions?

Jill

You can use hot pepper. I mix cayenne pepper with water and apply where

I don't want animals in the garden. Try putting your cats fur in the area.

Ann

Thanks, Ann. Doing some research, I read a solution of finely ground

black pepper and water might work. (Cayenne pepper is expensive! I'd

rather save it for cooking.) Also lemon or orange peels, which is not

something I have handy. Coffee grounds... hmmm, I could do that.

Whatever I do I also have to ensure not attracting bugs. I live in a

very temperate climate. It's barely gotten chilly this winter. The

bugs are already coming out in force.

Jill

Jill,
My area is just full of International grocery stores, and they sell cayenne pepper by the huge bagful (bucketful if you want it). It's not all that expensive. Look for it online, or I could price a bag for you and send it over.
I've found a lot of spices are dirt cheap in these stores!

Jane
Old March 19th 13, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 3/19/2013 1:54 PM, Jane wrote:
[...]

You're lucky, Jane! I don't have access to shops like that. At any
rate I don't need cayenne pepper by the bag Thanks, though! I have
decided not to try the pepper. Schwartzie has not returned to that spot.

Jill
Old March 19th 13, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

[keeping cats off a flowerbed]

My area is just full of International grocery stores, and they sell
cayenne pepper by the huge bagful (bucketful if you want it). It's
not all that expensive. Look for it online, or I could price a bag
for you and send it over.
I've found a lot of spices are dirt cheap in these stores!

Tried that when I moved once and wanted to keep the cats away from
the pile of removal boxes. I spread about a quart of chili powder
over the floor around them. The result was little chili pawprints
all over the flat.

Citrus essences do work, but you need a hell of a lot. I came by
a pint of industrial-grade stuff (for ice cream making) once, years
ago, and still haven't finished it. Half a teaspoonful makes the
whole house smell like a lemon sorbet for a month.