I've failed

Old October 25th 12, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default I've failed

to be the perfect cat owner according to my book. I did almost everything
fine but:
I am supposed to install shelves near the ceiling in every room "because
your cat likes to observe things from there"

I can assure you that won't be happening. Boyfie doesn't want to get up on
a high shelf, he prefers his duvet.

Old October 25th 12, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
to be the perfect cat owner according to my book. I did almost everything
fine but:
I am supposed to install shelves near the ceiling in every room "because
your cat likes to observe things from there"

I can assure you that won't be happening. Boyfie doesn't want to get up
on a high shelf, he prefers his duvet.

Christina there are two types of cats according to the guy on my cat from
hell the ones in the bush the ones above the bush.

Rumble likes to be up high. ka'shay rather be hiding to observe. Jammer is
too fat to do either ;-)

Old October 26th 12, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Zombie Hampster" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 21:02:34 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

to be the perfect cat owner according to my book. I did almost everything
fine but:
I am supposed to install shelves near the ceiling in every room "because
your cat likes to observe things from there"

I can assure you that won't be happening. Boyfie doesn't want to get up
on
a high shelf, he prefers his duvet.

The problem with many 'experts' is they're WRONG, especially when it comes
cats.

Ain't that just the truth.

Old October 26th 12, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
to be the perfect cat owner according to my book. I did almost
everything fine but:
I am supposed to install shelves near the ceiling in every room "because
your cat likes to observe things from there"

I can assure you that won't be happening. Boyfie doesn't want to get up
on a high shelf, he prefers his duvet.

Christina there are two types of cats according to the guy on my cat from
hell the ones in the bush the ones above the bush.

Rumble likes to be up high. ka'shay rather be hiding to observe. Jammer
is too fat to do either ;-)

Boyfie has never showed any inclination that he wants to get up high - if he
did I'd probably have put a shelf up in his bedroom.
I scored high on 6 of 7 key points of a perfect cat owner, but failed
miserably on number 7. Despite that he seems to like it here. I think he'd
prefer a chance to hunt rather than sitting up on a shelf near the ceiling.
That wasn't in the book.
Shelf versus "can I get a mowsie or rattie?" No brainer.

Old October 29th 12, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:02:35 PM UTC-5, Christina Websell wrote:
to be the perfect cat owner according to my book. I did almost everything fine but: I am supposed to install shelves near the ceiling in every room "because your cat likes to observe things from there" I can assure you that won't be happening. Boyfie doesn't want to get up on a high shelf, he prefers his duvet.

We installed a high shelf with access steps. It really depends on the cat/household. We have four cats inside. Bosley is highly excitable and doesn't like any of his brofurs and sisters; sometimes he doesn't want ME to touch him. He's the only one who uses the high perch. I think it calms him down.

Sherry
Old October 29th 12, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:02:35 PM UTC-5, Christina Websell wrote:
to be the perfect cat owner according to my book. I did almost everything
fine but: I am supposed to install shelves near the ceiling in every room
"because your cat likes to observe things from there" I can assure you
that won't be happening. Boyfie doesn't want to get up on a high shelf, he
prefers his duvet.

We installed a high shelf with access steps. It really depends on the
cat/household. We have four cats inside. Bosley is highly excitable and
doesn't like any of his brofurs and sisters; sometimes he doesn't want ME to
touch him. He's the only one who uses the high perch. I think it calms him
down.

Sherry
-------------
It's obviously a good thing in your situation but shelves near the ceiling
in every room would be wasted on Boyfriend.
I am always up for learning from a book how I can be a better cat owner
(being a dog person) and I scored well apart from from the shelves. 6 out
of 7 isn't too bad!
He just wouldn't get up on a shelf near the ceiling in a million years even
with a ramp up to it.
So - I won't be doing it. I've failed the 7th key skill of the perfect cat
owner.

Tweed

Old October 29th 12, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 18:28:17 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
It's obviously a good thing in your situation but shelves near the ceiling
in every room would be wasted on Boyfriend.
I am always up for learning from a book how I can be a better cat owner
(being a dog person) and I scored well apart from from the shelves. 6 out
of 7 isn't too bad!
He just wouldn't get up on a shelf near the ceiling in a million years even
with a ramp up to it.
So - I won't be doing it. I've failed the 7th key skill of the perfect cat
owner.

Putting up lots of shelves sounds like a really nice idea. In my case, I'm
afraid that I'd be tempted to fill them with books instead of kitties.

I polled my cats. Dot says that an important key skill for a person is
'love'. Buster says that an important key skill is 'making a lap'. Spicey
says that an important key attribute is 'tastes good'.
Old October 29th 12, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
[...]

I score high on the first two.

on the first twi

Old October 29th 12, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

I put up a shelf for Roxy and Smudge when I moved a bookshelf they both
liked to get up on. It's a tall, thin bookshelf and the top of it isn't far
from the ceiling. When I moved it, it was no longer accessible to them.
One day I saw Roxy sitting on the floor and staring up at the top of the
bookshelf longingly. So I put up a shelf that ran from a place they could
get up to, to the top of the bookshelf. Both of them used it for a long
time. They would either be in their favorite sleeping places on top of the
bookshelf, or they would actually be sitting or lying down on the shelf
itself.

I haven't seen either of them use it that much recently, although Licky
sometimes goes up there. Maybe it's too much jumping for Roxy.

--
Joyce