Stinky so far . . .

Old April 3rd 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

Default Stinky so far . . .

Well, I have managed to get the fluids into Stinky for the past three days.
It hasn't been exactly easy, but he didn't make it totally impossible. He
sits there and cusses me out, sometimes sounding like a dead ringer for the
net-celebrity "Don Piano" cat. Then he's off about his business.

What's bothering me now is that it has become another chore just to get food
into him. His pigging out on Monday seems to have been a flash in the pan.
His glucosamine supplement is supposed to be mixed into his food, and if he
won't eat, he can't get that. His dry food has been switched to a renal
formula, but he basically just picks at that. What will interest him seems
to be so hit-or-miss. I'm off to the pet supply store today to try to find
few different things to tempt him, and will cook him some chicken, too.

We go back to the vet to take his levels again on Saturday.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old April 3rd 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
22brix

[...]

Hi Theresa,

You might want to try an appetite stimulant. My cat Tortle was always a
very picky eater and when she was diagnosed with acute kidney failure she
was put on Cyproheptadine. It made a huge difference in her appetite. Some
cats may react strangely to it but it was fabulous for Tortle. She was on
it for the rest of her life.

Also, the kidney diet isn't going to help if Stinky won't eat it. He needs
the calories more than he does the special diet. Neither of my cats with
kidney issues would eat much of the kidney food so you just do the best you
can!

Purrs coming your way!

Bonnie

Old April 3rd 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"22brix" wrote in message
news:j_KdnQeJhKWKZmnanZ2dnUVZ_oimnZ2d@pacificinter net...

[...]

Thanks for the tip, and the purrs.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old April 3rd 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

Well, I have managed to get the fluids into Stinky for the past three days.
It hasn't been exactly easy, but he didn't make it totally impossible. He
sits there and cusses me out, sometimes sounding like a dead ringer for the
net-celebrity "Don Piano" cat. Then he's off about his business.

What's bothering me now is that it has become another chore just to get food
into him. His pigging out on Monday seems to have been a flash in the pan.

Oops, asked about Stinky before I saw this post. I'm glad that he seems
to be adjusting to the fluids, attitude notwithstanding. At least he doesn't
make it impossible!

I am sorry that he's not eating that well. I wonder if it's not so much
an appetite issue as an "adjustment to a new diet" issue. Maybe he doesn't
like the renal food? I hope you can find something else that he'll eat.

Continuing the purrs!

--
Joyce ^..^

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old April 4th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

There are other brands of kidney diet that we'll offer to clients.
Some cats do end up being finicky and its a hassle and a half to get
them to eat.

Double check with the vet about the chicken. a little bit is okay,
but too much protein isn't a good idea. A small tsp of tuna or
chicken might be just enough...

Also the suggestion for appetite stimulant is good too.
Cyproheptadine is one, and I've also seen Mirtazipine.

BTW, has Dante asked Stinky where he has gotten his squishy lump?

SQ fluids can be REAL funny on certain animals, because suddenly they
have a hunchback. Usually on Cats it will start out as a hump and
then slosh down the side to under front leg so he has a floppy pouch.
But on smaller dogs like chihuahuas and Dachschunds, they suddenly
have this HUGE hump. "Do you find me repulsive?"

Once I was asked to give 200 ml sq to a female dachschund right by her
hips. I gave 100 ml on each side and then laughed.

As the dachschund waddled out the door it looked like she had a
bustle.

hehehe

Continued purrs for Stinky and hope his blood values improve.

Kristi
Old April 4th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default fluid lump ( Stinky so far . . .)

Mischief wrote:

BTW, has Dante asked Stinky where he has gotten his squishy lump?

SQ fluids can be REAL funny on certain animals, because suddenly they
have a hunchback. Usually on Cats it will start out as a hump and
then slosh down the side to under front leg so he has a floppy pouch.
But on smaller dogs like chihuahuas and Dachschunds, they suddenly
have this HUGE hump. "Do you find me repulsive?"

Once I was asked to give 200 ml sq to a female dachschund right by her
hips. I gave 100 ml on each side and then laughed.

As the dachschund waddled out the door it looked like she had a
bustle.

When my ex and I used to give Tika (the cat who had CRF from ages 16-21)
her fluids, we would then point and snicker and say "Fluid lump! Fluid
lump!" like obnoxious children making fun of someone with an unusual
physical characteristic. (We were immature and easily amused. Sadly, I
haven't grown up much since then. ) We did make sure Tika had gone out
of the room before doing it, because she was in fact kind of sensitive
about being laughed at.

The fluid would be absorbed within about 30 minutes, though. But you
(Theresa) probably know that by now!

Old April 4th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Mischief" wrote in message
There are other brands of kidney diet that we'll offer to clients.
Some cats do end up being finicky and its a hassle and a half to get
them to eat.

Double check with the vet about the chicken. a little bit is okay,
but too much protein isn't a good idea. A small tsp of tuna or
chicken might be just enough...

Also the suggestion for appetite stimulant is good too.
Cyproheptadine is one, and I've also seen Mirtazipine.

BTW, has Dante asked Stinky where he has gotten his squishy lump?

You know, Dante has been pretty good about not pestering Stinky-- oh !@#,
just as I wrote that, Dante came bowling over to him, and Stinky had to read
him the riot act. Well, except for that, Dante has been mostly good about
leaving Stink alone over the past few days. He seems to have a pretty good
read, thank goodness, on when the Big Dood is really under the weather.

SQ fluids can be REAL funny on certain animals, because suddenly they
have a hunchback. Usually on Cats it will start out as a hump and
then slosh down the side to under front leg so he has a floppy pouch.

Stinky is SO PO'd about the fluid lumps-- I think he is madder about those
than about the stick. His usually end up on the backs of his front legs,
so he looks a bit like Ethel Merman singing "There's NO business like SHOW
business," poor little man.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old April 4th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Kreisleriana wrote:

Stinky is SO PO'd about the fluid lumps-- I think he is madder about those
than about the stick. His usually end up on the backs of his front legs,
so he looks a bit like Ethel Merman singing "There's NO business like SHOW
business," poor little man.

Aww. poor Big Dood. Purrs a-continuing.