Bulletin: I found the mouse

Old June 10th 08, 10:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Bulletin: I found the mouse

It was just beginning to smell in my living room tonight, so I knew
the mouse was back there somewhere. I pulled out my couch and there it
was under the heat baseboard. Poor thing. It obviously died of
injuries inflicted by Smudge. The place where I found it would have
been inaccessible to the cats.

I put on latex gloves, a mask over my mouth and nose, and grabbed a
roll of paper towels. I wrapped up the little mousie in paper towels,
put that into a plastic bag and sealed it, and then - OK, I hope nobody
thinks I'm weird for doing this - I put it in the freezer. THis is
because it's late at night, and I am not walking out to the garbage
cans while a large raccoon is terrorizing the neighborhood. That's a
story for another post, but tonight when I went to take clothes out of
the dryer, I saw it run off my porch and down the stairs! (The washer
and dryer are located outside my back door, and are shared by me and
the neighboring apartment.)

Anyway, whew! I'm glad the mouse situation is taken care of. Oh, this
is one cute thing that Smudge does - I'm back to doing "mouth checks"
before letting her in at night. So when she bats on the screen door to
let me know she wants to come in, I open the door and say, "Show me your
mouth!" And she stands on her hind legs, leans her front paws against
the screen, and shows me her mouth! (If I don't say it, she doesn't
do it.)

In other news, Licky raided a half-open drawer and found a bag of
catnip, which he proceeded to rip open and spill contents all over
the carpet. I accept full responsibility for being stupid enough to
leave the drawer open!

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old June 10th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
[...]

OK, a little extreme but I know where you are coming from.

Usually I'll put a plastic bag over my hand to use as a glove and then turn
it right side out over the 'victim' rodent or bird. Then I'll put a couple
of plastic bags over that and put it in the freezer until garbage day. That
takes care of any decomp of parasites or fleas. It is also the most humane
euthesanesia I can manage on my own for those that are beyond hope but not
quite dead.

Jo

Old June 10th 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jofirey wrote:

OK, a little extreme but I know where you are coming from.

I'm just not used to it. If I had to dispose of dead prey animals on
a regular basis, I would probably use less overkill, but I figure, better
too much protection than too little.

Usually I'll put a plastic bag over my hand to use as a glove and then turn
it right side out over the 'victim' rodent or bird. Then I'll put a couple
of plastic bags over that and put it in the freezer until garbage day.

Oh, good, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Old June 10th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:

I have to laugh here... when I found the dead mouse in the cat's food bowl,
I picked it up by the tip of it's tail and plopped it in the toilet with one
quick flush.

I was thinking about flushing it down the toilet, but I don't know if
that's considered a good idea around here. They're very particular about
what people should and should not put in toilets and down drains. I
thought I might call Waste Management to find out if they had a policy
about such things.

Old June 10th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
Jofirey wrote:

OK, a little extreme but I know where you are coming from.

I'm just not used to it. If I had to dispose of dead prey animals on
a regular basis, I would probably use less overkill, but I figure, better
too much protection than too little.

Usually I'll put a plastic bag over my hand to use as a glove and then
turn
it right side out over the 'victim' rodent or bird. Then I'll put a
couple
of plastic bags over that and put it in the freezer until garbage day.

Oh, good, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

--
Joyce

You definitely aren't the only one. I've often put Nanki-Poo's kill in the
freezer until trash day. The trash can is in the garage, and in warm
weather it doesn't take long for the smell to fill the garage and start
seeping into the house. The freezer is also in the garage, and I have
reserved the lower shelf in the door for dead critters.

Joy

Old June 10th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
It was just beginning to smell in my living room tonight, so I knew
the mouse was back there somewhere. I pulled out my couch and there it
was under the heat baseboard. Poor thing. It obviously died of
injuries inflicted by Smudge. The place where I found it would have
been inaccessible to the cats.

I put on latex gloves, a mask over my mouth and nose, and grabbed a
roll of paper towels.

But why? What do you think is going to happen to you? If any mousie caught
here is not eaten I just pick it up and put it in the bin. No gloves, no
mask, no paper towels, I just wash my hands thoroughly afterwards. I've
done it for years and I'm still alive ;-)

Tweed

Old June 10th 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Seems to me, a while back, I saw ads for a pet-door with an electric eye
that automatically checked in-bound cats for "critter-in-mouth" before
allowing entry. (IIRC, it was developed by an electronic engineer, so
probably was not commercially feasible - effective but much too
expensive for general use.)

That's great. I have no excuse, really, because I live in an apartment
with no pet flap. She needs me to open the door for her to come and go,
so I should have seen it. But she hadn't brought any prey back in several
months, so I had become lax about checking.