Follow-up question about canned cat food

Old July 25th 03, 02:27 AM
Jerold Pearson

Default Follow-up question about canned cat food

Are there any advantages to canned food over dry food other than the extra
water? (Because I can easily add water to the dry food I feed my guys.)
Thanks.

JP
Old July 25th 03, 01:16 PM
Arjun Ray

In , wombn
wrote:

| what about their teeth? I'm assuming that wild cats' teeth are cleaned
| when they chew on bones, right?

No. The little known fact is that cats can't chew. Their dentition is
optimized for shearing flesh, and the anatomy is such that they can't
move their jaws side to side against each other (necessary for chewing),
only up and down like scissors.

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

| And at least some dry food could help with that?

No. The crunching is just the instinctive shearing action of biting
into food. The kibble goes down the gullet in pieces, not crumbs. The
received wisdom is that absolutely fresh raw meat is best for teeth and
gum health. No surprise, there.

Old July 25th 03, 01:16 PM
Arjun Ray

Old July 26th 03, 05:13 AM
Phil P.

"Arjun Ray" wrote in message
In , wombn
wrote:

| what about their teeth? I'm assuming that wild cats' teeth are cleaned
| when they chew on bones, right?

No. The little known fact is that cats can't chew. Their dentition is
optimized for shearing flesh, and the anatomy is such that they can't
move their jaws side to side against each other (necessary for chewing),
only up and down like scissors.

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Well saif. I couldn't have explained it better myself...

Here's why cat's can't chew as in mastication:

http://maxshouse.com/anatomy/Dentary...edial_view.jpg

Notice that the condyloid processes in cats are bar-shaped (like a door
hinge) - which allows them to hold struggling prey like a clamp - but the
shape also reduces rotary and lateral grinding movements. The condyloid
process humans is more ovate which allows rotary motion. Humans rarely
need to subdue struggling prey!

Phil.

Old July 26th 03, 05:13 AM
Phil P.

Old July 26th 03, 05:15 AM
Phil P.

"wombn" wrote in message
what about their teeth? I'm assuming that wild cats' teeth are
cleaned when they chew on bones, right? And at least some dry food
could help with that?

Regular dry food provides very little dental benefit in cats since they
don't actually chew in the sense of true mastication. For a dry food to
provide a significant dental benefit the nuggets must be large enough for
the cat to sink her teeth into but not brittle so they don't shatter.
There are only two feline dental diets that actually provide some dental
benefit -

Phil