Science Diet question...

Old November 29th 03, 02:22 AM
Joe Canuck

Default Science Diet question...

Okay, this has just come to my attention. Can anyone explain why there
is a discrepancy between the ingredient list on the bag and the
ingredient list on the website for Science Diet Adult Chicken & Rice Recipe?

From the Hill's website:

Ingredients
Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, corn
meal, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid),
chicken liver flavor, DL- methionine, taurine, preserved with mixed
tocopherols and citric acid, minerals (potassium chloride, calcium
sulfate, salt, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous
oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), rosemary extract, beta
carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3
supplement, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source
of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate,
riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12
supplement).

From the bag (which I bought one week ago):

Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, corn
meal, animal fat(preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid),
chicken liver flavour, DL-methionine, taurine, preserved with BHT and
BHA, beta-caroten, minerals (potassium choride, calcium sulfate, salt,
ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium
iodate, sodium, selenite), vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A
supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid
(a source of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine, calcium pantothenate,
riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12
supplement).

So what is the deal with the subtle difference?

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old November 29th 03, 03:07 AM
Karen M.

Joe Canuck wrote:
Okay, this has just come to my attention. Can anyone explain why there
is a discrepancy between the ingredient list on the bag and the
ingredient list on the website for Science Diet Adult Chicken & Rice
Recipe?

From the Hill's website:

Ingredients
Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, corn
meal, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid),
chicken liver flavor, DL- methionine, taurine, preserved with mixed
tocopherols and citric acid, minerals (potassium chloride, calcium
sulfate, salt, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous
oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), rosemary extract, beta
carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3
supplement, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source
of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate,
riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12
supplement).

From the bag (which I bought one week ago):

Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, corn
meal, animal fat(preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid),
chicken liver flavour, DL-methionine, taurine, preserved with BHT and
BHA, beta-caroten, minerals (potassium choride, calcium sulfate, salt,
ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium
iodate, sodium, selenite), vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A
supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid
(a source of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine, calcium pantothenate,
riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12
supplement).

So what is the deal with the subtle difference?

Maybe a typo on the web??

Old November 29th 03, 04:47 AM
Dennis Carr

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:22:43 -0500, Joe Canuck wrote:

Okay, this has just come to my attention. Can anyone explain why there
is a discrepancy between the ingredient list on the bag and the
ingredient list on the website for Science Diet Adult Chicken & Rice Recipe?

It looks like a change in formulation happened somewhere down the road -
perhaps the BHA formula is old, and they put the new formula on the web?

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old November 29th 03, 04:47 AM
Phil P.

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Okay, this has just come to my attention. Can anyone explain why there
is a discrepancy between the ingredient list on the bag and the
ingredient list on the website for Science Diet Adult Chicken & Rice

Recipe?

From the Hill's website:

Ingredients
Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, corn
meal, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid),
chicken liver flavor, DL- methionine, taurine, preserved with mixed
tocopherols and citric acid, minerals (potassium chloride, calcium
sulfate, salt, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous
oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), rosemary extract, beta
carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3
supplement, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source
of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate,
riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12
supplement).

From the bag (which I bought one week ago):

Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, corn
meal, animal fat(preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid),
chicken liver flavour, DL-methionine, taurine, preserved with BHT and
BHA, beta-caroten, minerals (potassium choride, calcium sulfate, salt,
ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium
iodate, sodium, selenite), vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A
supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid
(a source of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine, calcium pantothenate,
riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12
supplement).

So what is the deal with the subtle difference?

Prolly using up the last print run of bags before the change. That type of
package is very expensive to print and manufacture. Printing very high
quantities in single press runs significantly reduces the cost per bag.

Phil.

Old November 29th 03, 12:57 PM
ChakaShiva

"Phil P." a écrit dans le message de news:

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Okay, this has just come to my attention. Can anyone explain why there
is a discrepancy between the ingredient list on the bag and the
ingredient list on the website for Science Diet Adult Chicken & Rice

Recipe?

From the Hill's website:

Ingredients
Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, corn
meal, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid),
chicken liver flavor, DL- methionine, taurine, preserved with mixed
tocopherols and citric acid, minerals (potassium chloride, calcium
sulfate, salt, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous
oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), rosemary extract, beta
carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3
supplement, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source
of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate,
riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12
supplement).

From the bag (which I bought one week ago):

[...]

Then it is permitted to have a description on the bag differing from the
true content? Interesting.
I would presume more that the bag came from an old batch. I sometimes go
to a little local supermarket when I have not time to go to town for my
shopping. I've been seeing the very same unique bag of Science Diet kibble
lying on the shelf now for certainly over a year :-). There's no mistake,
its the same one because it is ripped and taped on one side.

Elaine

Old November 29th 03, 02:18 PM
Governor George Liquor

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Okay, this has just come to my attention. Can anyone explain why there
is a discrepancy between the ingredient list on the bag and the
ingredient list on the website for Science Diet Adult Chicken & Rice

Recipe?

From the Hill's website:

(deletia)

From the bag (which I bought one week ago):

(deletia)

So what is the deal with the subtle difference?

My educated guess is that the web-based ingedients list is provided for a
worldwide audience, and for general informational purposes only, and thus
uses more general terminology. The bag label ingredients list is
authoritative, and specific to the country of sale, (which I presume from
the Queen's English spellings is Canada) which likely has more specific
labelling requirements. There's generally no national rules (nor is it
practical for there to be, really) governing web content, while every county
has generally has its own specific rules governing labelling of retail
packages. The U.S. likely has less specific requirements (e.g. "mixed
tocopherols" versus "BHA, propyl gallate") than Canada, and since Hill's is
a U.S. company, their web author took the text from a for-sale-in-U.S. bag.

I found a _Canadian_ site,
http://www.agsci.ubc.ca/courses/fnh/410/lipids/5_2.htm, that discusses the
chemical composition and application of antioxidants in food preservation,
including BHT, BHA, and tocoperols.