Food Question

Old February 6th 04, 01:41 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote in
on 03 Feb 2004:

I wouldn't agree with either statement. I don't read much of Gaubster
so I cannot comment on him, but I do find Steve Crane to be honest and
knowledgeable.

RE, the Gaub, you aren't missing anything. Steve Crane on the other hand,
has an agenda. I don't find him honest at all. His information seems to be
outdated and not at all open-minded about things that have enlightened
others about the real needs of carnivores. He poo-poos cats with problems
saying they are a low percentage (which may be true, but do we have
accurate figures on how those numbers are growing??) of the total number

of
cats and trying to have a discussion with regard to anything that doesn't
fit his numbers is useless. I still insist that many cases are not

reported
but he will have none of that. No, I have no proof but everyone I know

with
companion animals are having problems of some sort. Why in the world are
prescription diets being pushed so much? Because they are developed to
solve the problems caused by diets that aren't species appropriate?

I've always felt it was more about his background than honesty. He has a
science background and so approaches things in a scientific way (needs
scientific studies, statistics, etc.). I originally studied science at
university, so I tend to think that way as well. That is probably why I've
always appreciated his advice.

However, were I in your situation I might feel similarly to how you feel.
Shadow has gone through a great deal (as have you) and you *know* that
"traditional" medicine and foods have not worked for him. And of course
non-traditional methods can be equally effective, or even more so in some
cases. FWIW, I don't recall Steve ever saying that non-traditional forms of
pet care (like raw food or homemade food) are *always* bad, but that one
should be cautious and very well-informed before applying them. But one
should be cautious about everything, I suppose :-).

I'm
done with my rant and will not continue with any more of my thoughts on

the
matter at this time. My sick cats take enough out of me and I only want

learn new ways to help them. Not argue about it with a pet food company
rep. My vet happens to agree, which is why I feel the way I do now. He's
better off in the plonker IMO.

I didn't think you were ranting at all! Just calmly and rationally voicing
your opinion, to which you are certainly entitled. As long as your cats are
as happy and comfortable as they can be, then you're taking excellent care
of them!

Hope Shadow is doing better this week, and standing up for himself a bit
more. If Bonnie and Shamrock were human, they'd both be getting long
lectures from me! Too bad cats can't listen to reason :-)!

rona

Old February 6th 04, 01:54 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message

I must've missed those posts. Or else they were benign compared w/

others!
I, for one, just do not associate nastily worded posts w/ you!

I don't usually swear at or insult people. My nasty posts are filled more
with sarcasm and "I'm smarter than you, and you're going to know I'm smarter
than you"-comments so they don't always appear nasty on the surface :-).

On Usenet, there usually is at least one exception in this regard - one
comes across a really wide spectrum of people. ;-)

So true! And that's what makes it fun!

I used to want to do a sociological study on Usenet groups. I think it
would be fascinating! The closest I've found to something like that is at
http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html . I think I'd be
http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame55.html though I'd like to think I'm
really http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame82.html :-).

rona

Old February 6th 04, 02:26 AM
Cheryl

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote in news 05 Feb 2004:

Thanks for your comments my rant. I suppose it wasn't but it felt
like it at the time.

Hope Shadow is doing better this week, and standing up for himself a bit
more. If Bonnie and Shamrock were human, they'd both be getting long
lectures from me! Too bad cats can't listen to reason :-)!

Nope, not one bit, in fact it is worse separating them. I just don't get
it though the smell is probably likely even though he doesn't really have
clingy poopies; he does a good job of cleaning himself with my carpet. lol
I couldn't get a vet appt for today, had to work late but within the next
couple of days I need to get him up there for the shave and squeeze. I
gotta idea. I found this toy linked on "cat toys" even though they say
this one's for dogs. I can record a message saying "be nice to shadow."
lol

http://www.worldpetstore.com/worldpe...ometreat2.html

--
Cheryl

Trapped like rats. In a chia-pet.
MIB II

Old February 6th 04, 03:05 AM
Steve Crane

Thank you for the recommendations. Now, I can't recall--is it Eukanuba or
is it
SD that advertises a new formula that will give our lazy cats more energy?

I'm
waiting for it to kick in.

Can't help you with that one. :-))
I have one such 'lazy" cat myself and have never figured out anything that
will change her one bit.