Food Question

Old February 7th 04, 11:35 PM
C.T.

LMAO..............couldn't help myself....

No of course it would be impossible for Lauren to admit error. Posted to

her
snide comments were two of the dozen or so peer reviewed published

clinical
studies around cognitive dysfunction. She's not "LOL" now of course

because
once again she's been proven to be in error. Nothing particularly unusual

in
that sequellae of events. Some people can't apologize for previous lies

and
massive errors because that would require a certain level of integrity,
probity, honor and adult behavior which is apparently missing.

Old February 10th 04, 07:25 PM
Yngver

Steve Crane" wrote:

OK,
Now I know what you are talking about. Advanced Protection is a high
antioxidant product, based upon the work done in Cognitive Dysfunction
(Alzheimer's) in dogs. The "cocktail" of antioxidants shows great promise in
older dogs who have "slowed" down a bit in life. The biggest activity
involves the affects on the beta amyloid plaque deposited in the brain
neuron pathway which "interrupts" or perhaps "disrupts" nerve signal
passage. Interestingly it is the same 42 bit beta amyloid in humans as it is
in dogs. One of the most common reasons pet owners bring a dog into the
veterinary clinic to have it put to sleep after many years of companionship
is when the dog no longer remembers to defecate and urinate outside. In
about 70% of those dogs we can reverse the problem (with Prescription Diet
b/d) and extend the life the dog and the family have together. The
antioxidant cocktail in Advanced Protection is quite similar to b/d,
although not exactly the same.

Ah, well, that explains the marketing concept. The ads and Web site make it
clear that the "advanced protection" is supposedly due to antioxidants, but
don't quite explain how antioxidants are related to energy and vitality levels.
Or why some owners reported that their dogs seemed happier on this food.

I do not have as much faith in the concept in cats.

Nor do I. I was posting somewhat tongue in cheek about the marketing angle. I
really don't expect Advanced Protection to make our plump, lazy cat more
energetic.

While they do seem
to collect some similar oxidative brain damage over time - How would you
know an Alzheimer's cat from a normal one? :-)) All kidding aside the issue
of cognitive dysfunction in cats is nearly impossible to test. There are
simply not enough of them around to ever set up a decent clinical trial. In
dogs we can find cognitive dysfunctional easily, but in cats it's very
difficult to locate enough of them. This leaves what are called "In Home
User Trials" or IHUT's. You provide food in plain unmarked bags to a large
group of animals. Then ask the pet owner to log what they see or do not see.
Midway through the trial you switch the food without telling the pet owner
that you have done so and again ask for pet owner to continue to log
activates and behaviors. The difference between the daily activity logs
provides some information about the effectiveness of the food. The pet
owners are only told they are testing a pet food. They don't know what the
food is supposed to do or not do, nor do they know who the manufacturer is
or anything else about the food.

Thanks for explaining the testing parameters. Like I said, I wasn't taking the
marketing campaign too seriously. Although I guess it worked, because when I
saw the display at Petsmart, I thought, "Yeah, right. Well, I'll buy a bag and
see if it really does increase our cats' energy levels like they say. Who
knows."