Back Online

Old September 24th 05, 10:57 PM
CatNipped

Default Back Online

We came through OK, but we lost electricity from 2:00AM this morning until
just a few minutes ago. We had some large branches fall off our trees, but
luckily only into the yard and not onto anything.

The most damage was done by *US*, not the storm. We had boarded up the
French doors downstairs so tight that when Ben (freakishly strong man that
he is) yanked it off, it pulled a section of bricks away from the wall!!!!
They didn't fall off, and some mortar should fix them, but it was scary.

Re the storm, we had some gusts up to, maybe, 65-75 MPH, and steady winds of
about 40-50 MPH. We got very little rain, and no flooding.

The fur kids didn't miss a beat - they weren't in the least disturbed by the
storm. The bare kids slept through it.

The dogs spent the night in the garage and they, predictably, peed and
pooped all over the place (and guess who picked it up and washed off the
concrete!??). After the storm was over, MIL didn't want them to go back
into the yard, but I insisted, so they're back outside now. (Heck, there's
tons of trees back there, an upper and lower wooden deck to lie on, and lots
of grass to do their business in - it's not like we're harming them by
making them stay back there.)

I just finished cooking breaded pork chops on the grill's side burner (I'd
started cooking before the electricity came back on). We have somehow
picked up two extra kids somewhere (Audrey and Ashley from across the
street) who ate dinner with us and will be sleeping over - so things are
pretty much back to normal, in other words chaotic, messy, and noisy! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 25th 05, 12:50 AM
Gabey8

It's great to year that you guys came through the weather in great shape!
Now just Be Careful Out There when traveling through damaged areas and
when doing repairs, and you'll be OK.

Here's hoping, praying, and purring that everyone else on here who was in
the general vicinity of Rita is also fine, and is able to check in before
long to let us know.

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old September 25th 05, 03:11 AM
CatNipped

Old September 25th 05, 03:23 AM
Jo Firey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Nomen Nescio" ] wrote in
message

From: "CatNipped"

We came through OK

I'm glad to hear that. You got lucky when things moved
to the east. But I'd be willing to bet that even if the eye
passed over your house, you would have been fine.
You'd just have a bit more cleanup to do. It certainly
seems like you were well prepared for the worst.
I do hope your family appreciates all that you have
done for them. But knowing the way relatives are, I'd
probably bet that nobody has even said "Thank You".
Ya did good!

LOL, you'd win that bet! But hey, what are families for? They're the
people who *have* to love you even if they don't like you! ;

Seriously, my daughter is helping me keep my sanity - she's doing double
her
share of the work just to make up for others who I'll refrain from
mentioning (**cough**mother-in-law**cough**). Also, her children are
amazingly well-behaved, so that makes things easier.

Hugs,

CatNipped

I like the way Robert Frost put it.

"Home's the place where when you have to go there, they have to take you
in."

Old September 25th 05, 08:20 AM
Sandra

Good to hear you are all ok!

--
Sandra

Old September 25th 05, 09:56 AM
wafflycat

"CatNipped" wrote in message
We came through OK, but we lost electricity from 2:00AM this morning until
just a few minutes ago. We had some large branches fall off our trees,
but
luckily only into the yard and not onto anything.

Glad you all came through this okay.

Cheers, helen s

Old September 25th 05, 10:24 AM
Exocat

"CatNipped" wrote
We came through OK

Relieved and delighted.

Purrs
Gordon & the FF

Old September 25th 05, 10:48 AM
Adrian

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

I'm so glad you're OK. :-) Things could have been a lot worse.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old September 25th 05, 12:26 PM
meee

great to hear you're all safe and intact!! we were watching from down under-
we've just moved to a cyclone prone area (tropical nth australia) so it's
encouraging to see it's not as scary as everyone down south made out. Yes, I
sympathise about the poo. Poo of any kind is always *my* job too ('I'm not
touching that'..... )

Old September 25th 05, 01:09 PM
JBHajos

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 16:57:18 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

We came through OK, but we lost electricity from 2:00AM this morning until
just a few minutes ago. We had some large branches fall off our trees, but
luckily only into the yard and not onto anything.

Glad to hear all is OK. I've been through many a near-miss hurricane
like that - the only one to give me much anxiety was Andrew but we
dodged the bullet there too.

My niece in The Woodlands also is relieved today that there wasn't
much in her area. I don't think she'd have survived a direct hit.
She was absolutely clueless despite all the info available - on the
last day she didn't have water or much food, even had to borrow a
flashlight and batteries! She's a hyper sort of gal anyway, no good
in a crisis. So it's a relief that she didn't have to face the worst.

The dogs spent the night in the garage

And did MIL spend the night on a futon in the garage?

Bottom line, we're happy to hear things went well for you.

Jeanne