Worrying...

Old July 2nd 08, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kylatte =^. .^=`

Default Worrying...

bastXXXett
Jack Campin -
It's a lot commoner than people think. Marion's diagnosed it as an
unrecognized cause of chronic illness in her patients several times.
Get a detector, they're not expensive.

I think I will, after this. Even if this doesn't turn out to be CO. I
don't want to have to worry like this anymore.

CO is lighter than air so it tends to collect above floor level. Cats
tend to breathe air from lower down than humans, so they're at less
risk.

That is really good to hear. I have really been a bit freaked about it.
I hope this isn't the day Roxy decides to sleep on the really high
bookshelf, which isn't far from the ceiling. (Most of the time, I find
her on the bed, the couch, or a chair, so that's unlikely.)

(Conversely, they're at greater risk of poisoning from chemicals
in carpets, and can die from exposures that will only give their humans
a rash on their legs).

Hmm. I get rashes on my legs when I sit on the carpet wearing shorts...
But I've lived there for 9 years, so I would imagine that if the cats
were going to get deathly ill from the carpet, they would've by now.
I do know they can get hyperthyroid from flame retardant chemicals.

If you keel over, they should take your unnaturally pink corpse as a
warning sign.

I guess if I'm a corpse, it's too late for warnings...

I saw that, about the pink coloring, when I was reading about it earlier
this afternoon. However, I'm not at home right now, and I expect I'd be
more likely to keel over when at home breathing the stuff. By that time,
I will have had a test, as long as the HMO doesn't give me some crap
about how it's too time-consuming to do it now. I know it can be - I had
the test once, about 15 years ago (negative), and it took about 45 minutes
or more.

My thinking it's maybe something in the air...perhaps
the smog from the fires there?. Very scary.
I just put up a post about it.
Be well and take care
PUUUUUUUUURRS
HUG
Kyla

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^

Old July 2nd 08, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kylatte =^. .^=`

Default Worrying...Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurring

"Jofirey"
bastXXXette
Since Saturday, I've been feeling unusually tired. Doesn't matter
how much sleep I get (and on the weekend, I can sleep 12 hours in one
night), I've been exhausted. I've also had a headache every day, and
I've felt like I'm totally out of shape, that even the slightest bit
of exertion makes me winded. I've been thinking that maybe I had a
virus. Today I started having lower back pain, so I called my HMO and
made an appointment. I'm going in at 6PM. (HMO = tightly controlled
medical corporation, dedicated to saving money.)

Anyway, a little while ago it suddenly occurred to me that I might
have carbon monoxide poisoning. I don't know why - as far as I know, my
gas stove and hot water heater are functioning OK. But I decided to look
up the symptoms just in case.

On the first three sites I found, symptoms of low-grade CO poisoning

* headache
* fatigue
* dizziness
* shortness of breath on exertion

I haven't had dizziness, but I definitely have the other 3. So I will
ask for a CO test tonight. My HMO is really bad and they deny almost
everything, but I'm prepared to put up a fight.

But now I'm worrying about Roxy and Licky (Smudge is outside, at least).
They seemed OK, but how would I know if they have headaches? Fatigue I
might notice, but then, cats sleep so much it's hard to tell. Their
appetites have been just fine - but then, so has mine.

Should I rush home? But, rush home and do *what*, exactly? Put them in
a carrier, and take them... where? Shouldn't I get the test first, to
be sure? But what if I get home and they're really sick? Maybe I should
call my neighbor and ask her to go upstairs and open all my windows?

Do I sound really neurotic, or is this a realistic fear? I have a gas
stove and gas water heater. Everything else is electric. Obviously, I
don't have a CO monitor, or that would have gone off if there was a
problem.

One other thing: I have felt just as bad when I'm out of the house as
when
I'm home. I gather that people who are exposed to low levels of CO in
their homes will feel better when they're out of the house, getting
fresher
air, and I'm out for many hours a day, but feel just as tired and
headachy.

Any advice, anyone?

Yes, look at the fire maps. Its a wonder you can breathe at all in any
part of California. Even with blue sky and a bay breeze, there is enough
particulate in the air to choke a horse.

I was thinking of you too Jo when I read about the fires.
I hope they can make you feel better, but I'd guess the cats will be OK.

(Its so bad here that not only are all the swimming pools etc closed and
we have been told to keep the kids inside, we have also been told to keep
the pets inside.)

Jo

Oh no.....this is just horrible. Are you okay?
Your kids?
I had to put puuuuuuuuurrs at the top..
Be safe
Hug
Kyla

The Midwest is getting flooded,
California is on fire,
Parts of Arizona are too,

Old July 2nd 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Sorry, no advice, just lots of purrs that you feel better soon.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 2nd 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

wrote in message
[...]

No advice, just echoing the observation that other things can also cause
those symptoms, including allergies, the thyroid, anemia, female hormonal
fluctuations, and yes, depression. Also that those aren't really the kind
of clear-cut symptoms that the HMO-driven medical profession prefers, like
chicken pox, or snapping your shinbone right in the middle-- if you are
lucky enough to have a good doc who listens, the two of you can find ways
through that.

Purrs for you to feel better soon.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old July 2nd 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Charleen Welton

Can't help as I have no knowledge in that "department." But I do hope the
doctor can identify your problem and fix you up quick! Let us know.
Charleen

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
m...

Old July 2nd 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Joy wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I'd ask for the test this evening, but I suspect your problem has other
causes, particularly since you feel just as bad away from home. Many things
could cause your symptoms. It could be anemia, for instance.

Joy

.....Or even clinical depression - you might not even be conscious of
being depressed - but one of the more common symptoms is lack of
energy, so even the simplest tasks seem "too much trouble". ....Like the
friend of mine who lived for several months before his death
(heart-attack, not suicide) with no hot water, because it was just too
much effort to call a plumber to replace the water heater. (It wasn't
lack of funds - he had plenty of money for normal repairs and upkeep.)
Old July 2nd 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jofirey wrote:

Any advice, anyone?

Yes, look at the fire maps. Its a wonder you can breathe at all in
any part of California. Even with blue sky and a bay breeze, there is
enough particulate in the air to choke a horse.

Actually, the bad-air-quality warning has been lifted for the Bay
Area since Saturday. We've had some very clear weather over the past
3 or 4 days. I was driving across the bay yesterday and it was so
clear I could see distinct buildings in downtown San Francisco, which
was about 25 miles away.

It's true that last week, the smoke haze was bad. I was driving home on
Friday and the sun was completely red. It wasn't sunset hour, either.
I felt like I was on one of those dying worlds in the Narnia books.

Old July 3rd 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

John F. Eldredge wrote:

Disrupted sleep patterns, for any of many different reasons, can also
cause such fatigue. The sudden onset makes it unlikely to be apnea,
which is a chronic condition. Has there been an unusual amount of
background noise, such as noisy neighbors or road construction having
directed more traffic than usual past your home?

Actually, I was diagnosed with very mild apnea in 1998. And I used a
CPAP for a year or so, but I found it didn't help much. I had so much
trouble with the mask (too loose, and it slipped to the side and then
I wasn't getting the air in the right place, too tight and I woke up
with headaches and deep red welts on my face), and waking up all tangled
in the hose. Even after many months of giving myself time to get used
to it, I found that it disrupted my sleep. I concluded that the amount
of improvement was slight enough that it didn't overcome the inconvenience
factor of sleeping with a vacuum cleaner on my face. (At least, that's
how it seemed to look to Roxy, who was quite shocked the first time she
saw me using it.)

However, a lot can happen in 10 years, so I asked for a sleep study
from my HMO. I was there yesterday to be tested for CO poisoning (which
was negative, btw!). The doctor I saw (not my regular doc) ordered a
sleep study for me, so we'll see. I agree that the sudden onset seems
odd, but a couple of weeks ago I shared a hotel room with my sister,
and she reported that I stopped breathing quite a few times in my sleep,
and I also snored and made other odd noises. She's a medical professional
and thought I probably had sleep apnea.

The air quality might have affected me somewhat, but nobody else is
complaining about being extremely tired. I'm not having any trouble
breathing or sore throat, etc. Just tired and headachy.

Old July 3rd 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MaryL -out-the-litter wrote:

I don't have any medical information. However, I have two carbon monoxide
detectors (one for my bedroom and one for the guest bedroom) that I got at
WalMart. I got the type that plug directly into an outlet -- that is, the
type that does *not* need to be mounted on a wall with a cord extending to
the outlet.

On my way home from the HMO last night, I stopped in at a store and got
one. This one operates on batteries, much like a smoke alarm. Anyway, so
far, no CO in my house, so that's a relief. Kitties seem normal to me!

Old July 3rd 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

No advice, just echoing the observation that other things can also cause
those symptoms, including allergies, the thyroid, anemia, female hormonal
fluctuations, and yes, depression.

I had a complete blood panel done and it seems that I am neither anemic
nor having thyroid problems. (I do take some thyroid medication, so that
might be why my thyroid gland isn't pumping out a lot of TSH.)

As for hormonal fluctuations, those are probably still going on, but it's
been dying down over the past few years. I'm about 5 years post-menopausal,
so I don't have lots of hormonal mood swings.

Depression - yes. But I've had chronic depression for years, and I take
meds for it. In fact, I've felt better over the past several months, but
who knows? This really seems like a physical thing to me. I'm pretty aware
of feelings most of the time, so when I'm depressed, I usually know it.

Also that those aren't really the kind
of clear-cut symptoms that the HMO-driven medical profession prefers

You're not kidding! The doctor kept saying, "These are very non-specific
symptoms..." as though I were there expressly to make her life difficult.
I did bring up the idea of having a new sleep study, as my last one was
10 years ago, and I think sleep apnea can get worse as one ages. So she
ordered one for me.

Purrs for you to feel better soon.

Thanks!