10 yr old cat - very boney but swollen abdomen

Old June 8th 05, 10:13 AM

Barb wrote:
I took my Sapphire to the vet as soon as I felt her spine bone. It came on
very suddenly. She only lived another 2 weeks. The diagnosis was lymphoma
and we were just about to start chemo which can be quite successful with
some cats. Unfortunately she just went downhill too fast.

When I feel that bone I know it is ominous. The only cat whose bone I felt
and went on to be okay was Pepper's who now is on Tapazol for thyroid and
gained back her weight.

Let us know what the vet says.

After the vet visit, the vet thought that Neils Liver seemed a bit big,
and they took some blood for testing. Result of the tests indicate it
looks like a tumour but hes having x-ray and ultrasound today and more
blood tests.

Vet has mentioned low does chemo if its a tumour but has mentioned
probs if theres a small child in the house...

Old June 8th 05, 04:47 PM
Karen

wrote in message
oups.com...

Barb wrote:
[...]

Why? Would the child pass on something that his immune system couldn't
handle??

Old June 8th 05, 04:51 PM
Philip

"Karen" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Barb wrote:
[...]

ALL chemotherapy suppresses immune system activity to dangerously low levels
of protection.

Old June 8th 05, 05:03 PM
Karen

"Philip" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Karen" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Barb wrote:
[...]

Yes, I know. That's what I meant. I wondered if the vet thinks toddlers pass
on more sickness than adults. I have just never heard this concerning
youngsters in the house.

Old June 9th 05, 09:38 AM

Karen wrote:
"Philip" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Karen" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Barb wrote:
[...]

Well. Looking at some of the stuff on the web it does recommend that
you take precautions when dealing with chemo drugs for your pets. Such
as wearing rubber gloves, disposing of stuff properly, cleaning
sleeping/eating areas etc.

With a toddler in the house, although its straightforward to keep him
away from the stuff, I suppose he would have exposure to the treated
cats bodily fluids (e.g. excrement etc in the garden) possibly...

But then surely due to the size of a cat the dose can't be that big
(compared to a toddlers size) and how much of the 'active ingredient'
of the chemo is passed through the cat ?

And finally what are the dangers of exposure to a very small amount of
chemo if you dont really need it ?

Old June 22nd 05, 12:50 AM
Shadow Walker

No the cat will shed radiation into the environment making it unsafe for the
child.

Shadow Walker

"Karen" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 22nd 05, 12:54 AM
Shadow Walker

No the cat will shed radiation into the environment making it unsafe for the
child. Any radiation and small children or even adults is not safe. They
recommend anyone who has had cancer or a family history of it to stay away
from people who have had chemo or any test that requires radioactive
isotopes.

Shadow Walker

"Karen" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 22nd 05, 04:28 PM
Barb

I think radiation is what they are worried about, not chemo.

I had breast cancer and had radiation. This would not have stopped me from
letting my Sapphire have chemo.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old June 25th 05, 01:56 AM
Larry

Chemo drugs are carcenigetic and are eliminated in the poop/urine. Having
contact with the poop/urine would raise your cancer risk and the concern is
that kids may contact them.

Treating a tumor with beamed radiation (not indictable like I 131 for
thyroid problems) will not result in any lasting radiation after the beaming
is over. No radiation is shed.

--
Larry - Owned by nine cats
. verio.net...

Old June 29th 05, 12:45 AM
Shadow Walker

I'm sorry I ment chemicals shed into the enviroment.Doh.

Shadow Walker

"Shadow Walker" wrote in message
No the cat will shed radiation into the environment making it unsafe for

the
child.

Shadow Walker

"Karen" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Barb wrote:
[...]

Help: Kitten with swollen lip Yoyo168 Cat health & behaviour 5 January 4th 05 05:48 PM
Swollen lymph glands? Ruffiane Cat health & behaviour 2 December 28th 04 06:02 AM
Swollen Paw Allegra640 Cat anecdotes 27 November 14th 03 05:36 AM
Kitty with swollen leg after subQ fluids - is that normal? Bill Cat health & behaviour 6 September 7th 03 03:02 AM
swollen ear mbjj Cat health & behaviour 6 July 31st 03 07:49 AM