Attitudes Towards Black Cats

Old December 12th 03, 01:49 AM
CajunPrincess

Default Attitudes Towards Black Cats

I've always thought black cats were pretty. One of my two new cats,
Sabastian, is a longhaired black cat (He has a very few white hairs on
his chest but too few to even call it a patch, so in my mind he's a
black cat). Until she passed away this summer, I had Prissy, who was
really a very dark brown longhaired cat but looked like a black cat in
normal light. The other day I was thinking about Prissy and I
remembered something that happened years ago when I worked in the
financial side of a one of the large hotel chains.

The offices were in the hotel and infrequently when I had to stay very
late to work on something I would just arrange to stay at the hotel
rather than drive home. Usually I just took Prissy to work and they
let me keep her in the hotel room while I was there (which they
were'nt really supposed to, but since I worked there they let me do
it). I would put up the "do not disturb" sign when I left Prissy in
the room to keep her from being let out by accident, but one time I
when I was still in the room getting ready to go into the office the
maid knocked and started to ask if she could clean up The maid saw
Prissy right after she stuck her head in the door and immediately told
me (I'm paraphrasing) that she wouldn't be cleaning the room as long
as that "black cat" was in there; that black cats were "bad luck".
She was dead serious. I told her that it was OK to skip over cleaning
the room.

I thought it was kind of amusing then and I had forgotten about the
episode until for some reason it popped into my head the other night.
I'm curious as to whether anybody else has ever encountered someone
who really, seriously believed that black cats were bad luck?
Old December 12th 03, 01:58 AM
Zorin the Lynx

CajunPrincess wrote:
I thought it was kind of amusing then and I had forgotten about the
episode until for some reason it popped into my head the other night.
I'm curious as to whether anybody else has ever encountered someone
who really, seriously believed that black cats were bad luck?

I think black cats are good luck. Mostly because when I encounter them,
I feel lucky that I can witness such a beautiful creature in this world.
I love the way some black cats' fur shines in the light, and the way
those lovely huge eyes gaze out from a dark face.

They are beautiful, and I hope to be owned by one someday... (Lynxie
hates other cats so that won't be for a long while!)

-Z

Old December 12th 03, 03:27 AM
Cheryl

CajunPrincess wrote in m
on 11 Dec 2003:

I thought it was kind of amusing then and I had forgotten about the
episode until for some reason it popped into my head the other night.
I'm curious as to whether anybody else has ever encountered someone
who really, seriously believed that black cats were bad luck?

I haven't heard any stories first hand about bad luck, but I know they are
hard to adopt out. I sometimes wonder if its because there are so many of
them that they are "ordinary" or something. Black/white cats the same. I
love black cats; so sleek and shiny. I have two; plus a black and white.

--
Cheryl

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I
can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do."
- Helen Keller

Old December 12th 03, 03:29 AM
Gizela

I love the look of black cats....I have had two, neither of which bought bad
luck!!

Purrs

Angela and Gizmo

m...

Old December 12th 03, 04:00 AM
Flippy

My Romeo has never brought me bad luck!

Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.
My Cats: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

Old December 12th 03, 04:30 AM
Arthur Shapiro

My two cents: I've found that many shorthair blacks can be surprisingly
out-and-out mean. Others can be purring one instant, and suddenly turn and
draw blood the next. It's kind of like a Siamese on drugs. I think I'll
probably never own another shorthair black, and that's about the only sort of
kitty about which I'll make that statement..

Longhair blacks, however, are just the warmest, friendliest cats imaginable.

Art

Art
Temporary usercode - to be deleted when spam starts. Use MyBrainHurts at this ISP to reach me
Old December 12th 03, 05:15 AM
Zorin the Lynx

Arthur Shapiro wrote:

My two cents: I've found that many shorthair blacks can be surprisingly
out-and-out mean. Others can be purring one instant, and suddenly turn and
draw blood the next. It's kind of like a Siamese on drugs. I think I'll
probably never own another shorthair black, and that's about the only sort of
kitty about which I'll make that statement..

I must counter, since there was one black cat I was very fond of, even
though I only knew her for a few days.

When I was much younger (perhaps 12 or 13, back in 1991 or so) I visited
my older half-brother, whose wife had a black cat named Smokey. This cat
was a complete total sweetie. All I had to do was pet and scritch her
behind the ears once, and she would start following me, rubbing her head
into my hand wanting more and purring insanely.

In a subtle way, it was this cat that started me on the path to becoming
a cat person later on. Many cats tend to hate kids because a lot of kids
can be cruel to cats, especially outdoor cats like Smokey, but this cat
opened up to me. I found out that day that cats were wonderful and yet I
would not have one of my own until last year. Until that point the only
cat I knew well was at my Aunt's house; she was a mean torbie that would
attack anyone who dare come near with claws extended.

Smokey was already in her teens at the time; she is probably no longer
among the living. I haven't really talked to anyone in that part of my
family much since then either.

Ahh well, such is life...

-Zorin

Old December 12th 03, 06:10 AM
m. L. Briggs

On 11 Dec 2003 17:49:12 -0800,
(CajunPrincess) wrote:

[...]

I used to hear it a lot when I was a kid. I believe they are thought
to be bad luck because they cannot be seen in the dark of night and
you might step on them or get the j---- scared out of you when they
curled around your legs. haha~